Windout awning, which one, which dealer (1 Viewer)

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
Caravan 20 years - Motorhome 8 years
Hi all, I drive a Wildax Solaris which is a Citroen Relay van conversion. I want a windout awning fitting and think a 3.7m awning would fit. Is this right or would I need to have a 3.5m one. I have also seen various brackets for this installation but can not workout if these things can be fitted without drilling the van. if they can be fitted without drilling is this a simple DIY job to fit. if not an easy DIY job does anyone have any experience of awning suppliers / fitters in my area, i live near Reading in Berkshire. I have had a quote from Webbs motorhome a but I am not sure if they need to drill the van to fit it. Any recommendation of other local dealers who can quote without seeing the van and let me know if they are going to drill holes or not would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance
Mark

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I think you will find they are all fastened through the side of the van with plates on the inside to avoid the bolt pulling through.They do not all look tidy on the inside ,so if you are not doing it yourself ,ask how it will fitted.:Smile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
best one for your van is the one that lays flat on the roof side think its the fiamma f65 think it fits to the roof rack mountings that are already on your roof

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
best one for your van is the one that lays flat on the roof side think its the fiamma f65 think it fits to the roof rack mountings that are already on your roof

This post is right, no holes needed, there are some brackets that fit onto the little lugs that are already on the top of your van, then the wind out awning fastens to the brackets:thumb:

OP
OP
D

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
Caravan 20 years - Motorhome 8 years
Thanks, I thought the brackets were like that , as in affixing to roof-rack mounts. But when the dealer wanted to see the van I thought it might be different. Anyone here fitted one themselves or have any recommended dealers for me to try?

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
If you dont mind a trip to Kent then I would give FiammaCare (part of Johns Cross) a call. we had a 3m Awning fitted by them at the Peterborough Show and they did a great job (even fixing a blown air issue I didnt know I had!)
Tidy job inside the van as 3 x fixings are in cupboards behind facia board. (Not to worry though if fixing is to outside only)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I know you have set your mind on having an awning and go for it if that is what you really want.

Both the mh I have owned have had awnings, but I have never used them. If I want shade then I move chairs to other side of the mh.
Also they should never be left out over night or when the vehicle is unattended as the slightest wind will cause them to take off with the possibility of the whole thing twisting and then you are faced with the problem of rewinding the buckled awning back into the vehicle.

Just a freindly word of caution before making your decision.

Norman

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My last Hymer had a British made GH Awning (now called the Awning Companyhttp://www.theawningcompany.co.uk/ ), It was heavier than a Fiamma, But a much more robust and sturdier construction and strong enough to leave out overnight.
Agent Fiamma aka Camperlands in Northenden,South Manchester http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/

Worth a trip and when done only a short drive from the Peaks and Lake District and a bit further to Snowdonia in Wales.
Please not if this is further North than you would usually travel can I reassure you that the M6 Isn't cobbled north of Birmingham!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Mark

We have an Autocruise Accent panel van conversion on the long wheel base Fiat (6m) so it sounds like you'll need the same as we got.

We bought a 3.75m Fiamma F65 awning (titaniam to match the van) from O'Leary's motorhomes who had bought a load of stock from a dealer who had closed down. There is the F65S which is a bit lighter which is the one that tends to be fitted now, but either the F65 or F65S would do but you have to make sure you get the correct fixing brackets for whichever one you get.

We fitted it ourselves - to do so we bought the Fiamma fixing kit and some Sikoflex type adhesive (O'Leary's own make). It wasn't hard to do but the awning was HEAVY so getting it up on the top of the van was 'fun' so you need to ensure you can get it up there!!! :Eeek: We used a couple of tall step ladders and put one end of the awning on the one near the rear followed by us both lifting the other end up onto the step ladder at the front, we both climbed the ladders and then lifted it up onto the roof, taking care not to fall off the ladders or damage the van/awning - this is the HARDEST part as it don't half take some strength!!! :whatthe:

Fitting it was simple:
  • first fit the fixing brackets on the securing lugs on either end of the camper roof with some adhesive under them too for good measure
  • stick on the long foam self-adhesive strip that fits between the brackets which the awning sits on to cushion it and also stops rain coming through underneath it
  • lift the awning up and place it so it is just on the brackets and then ensure it is in the right place - move it backwards/forwards along the length of the van to get it just right so it has a slight overlap at the front of the van roof and completely covers the sliding door opening
  • push the awning down so it slides fully onto the brackets
  • finally secure it with the provided bolts.

Now stand back and admire your work! :thumb:

Attachments

• Fiamma awning.JPG
    Fiamma awning.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you give Glenn Harris or Darren a ring on 01-580-881288 and have a chat to him about it, we do have all the awnings in stock plus the brackets.

We do have an offer on at the mopment on free fitting in our workshops.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back