LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have been instructed to buy some sort of shelter for next season. At the moment we have the Thule privacy room. Its too heavy for us to put up and takes too long, besides for me I think its bloody pointless since we rarely stop more than a few days somewhere and most of the time we wild camp so it will mainly get used at rallies.
Mum quite liked the look of the Kampa rally but for me its like going back to camping erecting poles. As far as I believe the air rally takes up too much room so its been suggested maybe the Lillypad windblockers might be our solution.
Looking forward, mums a fit 75yr old but time moves on so what do you lot suggest?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We bought Lillypad windblockers this year and I "modded them a little and now have put privacy room in storage locker. Easy and quick to put up and they really do block of the wind, but allow a greater amount of light in. Worth the money I think.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Lillypad windblockers might be our solution.
We bought a set from one of the shows last year. Fantastic, and as DQ says, with a little bit of your own modification to suit yourself.........Can highly recommend. :xThumb::xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:
EDIT. We went for the set without the added inner rain covers, they seemed quiet heavy. And anyway, nothing wet seems to get in, the nets stop the rain to a greater extent, and dry off in no time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
@Tootles states not worth the extra inner rain covers, as when it rains the nets stop most of the rain coming in unless it's driving rain. They are strong enough for a bit of abuse and as far as wind strength, we wind our awning in when it gets windy!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Good stuff. Quick, simple and take up little space. Does what it says on the lid. Had ours for many years now and still in good nick. Highly recommended. :xThumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
These I think sound perfect. Means mum can sit and nosey out. :)

So how much rain proof and windproof are they really? Would they rip it too windy?
Not sure, IB. The rain tends to run down the nets, (they do get wet), but it dosent seem to blow in. Not sure about the wind thing, but I did notice plenty of peeps leaving them up in the strong wind at Malvern, and they didn't rip.With anything like that, caution is needed. Rule of thumb might be, if it's too windy to wind out the awning, then leave everything well tucked in. The great advantage is that you can just put one net up if you like, to block the breeze from that direction.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User

So how much rain proof and windproof are they really? Would they rip it too windy?

As it attaches to poles under the awning it would not be advisable to have the awning out in really strong winds anyway. We have used them in reasonably strong winds and they have bellowed but not torn. The key thing is to ensure the poles are held firmly so that they don't move with the force of the bulging netting ( bit like a sail!!).

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Others have beaten me to it but as to how much wind they cope with was answered on a bad weekend in Yarmouth in November when the canopy nearly took off and bent our tension rafter in the process. If it's too windy for the canopy the noise and flapping from the wind breakers will suggest it's time to take it all in.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good point about not having the awning out in the wind. Don't think the rain running down sides would bother mum as she really only wants it to sit in and be able to leave shoes at the door oh and banish the dog to as well.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As it attaches to poles under the awning it would not be advisable to have the awning out in really strong winds anyway. We have used them in reasonably strong winds and they have bellowed but not torn. The key thing is to ensure the poles are held firmly so that they don't move with the force of the bulging netting ( bit like a sail!!).
I modified the sides so that the pole can be folded with the nets still on, then the lot rolled up around the folded poll, and popped into a spare pole bag. That way, you don't need to re-thread the loops every time.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Duplicate

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I modified the sides so that the pole can be folded with the nets still on, then the lot rolled up around the folded poll, and popped into a spare pole bag. That way, you don't need to re-thread the loops every time.

I just shorten the extending poles, roll each side one up on itself then along with the folded front section just stow them away. I also glued strips of Velcro to adjoining edges so that they can be sealed together when required. Works really well. Another tip is to use extending poles ( like the two top poles) to go through the loops at the bottom, that way ( providing the wind is not too strong) you only need a couple of pegs to hold each section down. Great stuff..:xThumb:

Deleted User
We got some at NEC and have used once so far, very good, we were debating between them and a Thule privacy room, and decided Thule too heavy and bulky for our pvc. We got them with the extra membrane to make them waterproof and a bit sturdier. As you can roll up the membranes to just leave nets on summer it seemed like a no brainer as not much extra. We also bought a couple of extra tie downs which slide into the front of the awning and have a heavy duty tie down strap which we could use over width of awning if needed. They fit very snug to the sides of van and can be overlapped where you choses your door, which is great for keeping our dogs contained. Though Boston did try to treat them like a fly screen and just walked right at them! We will probably need to put a barrier over entrance long term to stop her doing this. We had the magnetic fly screens at home in the summer, so it's understandable she was confused :)
They pack away very small. When we bought ours at show another couple were just collecting there's after having an original net set altered to include the membranes, so they can be added later if not bought originally.
We went for black which are quite dark to keep sunlight out with the dogs, buy they come in lighter shades too.

Lin:)

WP_20151102_14_40_56_Pro.jpg

Pic is with all membranes down which makes it impossible to see inside. With Just nets it's very light.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We got some at NEC and have used once so far, very good, we were debating between them and a Thule privacy room, and decided Thule too heavy and bulky for our pvc. We got them with the extra membrane to make them waterproof and a bit sturdier. As you can roll up the membranes to just leave nets on summer it seemed like a no brainer as not much extra. We also bought a couple of extra tie downs which slide into the front of the awning and have a heavy duty tie down strap which we could use over width of awning if needed. They fit very snug to the sides of van and can be overlapped where you choses your door, which is great for keeping our dogs contained. Though Boston did try to treat them like a fly screen and just walked right at them! We will probably need to put a barrier over entrance long term to stop her doing this. We had the magnetic fly screens at home in the summer, so it's understandable she was confused :)
They pack away very small. When we bought ours at show another couple were just collecting there's after having an original net set altered to include the membranes, so they can be added later if not bought originally.
We went for black which are quite dark to keep sunlight out with the dogs, buy they come in lighter shades too.

Lin:)

View attachment 85992

Pic is with all membranes down which makes it impossible to see inside. With Just nets it's very light.
We couldn't get the black without having the plastic inner sheets, and so went for the blue. BE CAREFUL you don't lose the side poll springs, they can slide out and drop onto the grass when you separate the polls. I always make sure I remove/fit them first. We had a Fiammi Zip privacy room, but it was so heavy to put up, we sold it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Oh goody, the loft treasure funds are being spent!:xThumb:

Go for the cheaper and quicker option and get mum these -
BROKEN LINK
and
434-9401_PI_1000259MN

One of the reason we got a 6 berth caravan and then motorhome for the two of us was so that we did have the bother of putting up awning \ etc but interested to hear what some of the gang are saying about them here.:xThumb:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I cant be bothered either @Gellyneck but I fear the constant ear bashing will continue if I don't at least make the effort to come up with a compromise.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I had a Fiamma clip system so adapted the wind blocker so that the sides slide into clip with piping sewn along top then you clip to wind out awning there is no gap along the sides at the top,in effect seamless joint between awning canopy and sides works really well.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
WiFi, or is that Wify! hated the awnings in our tugger days. This IS the compromise!! Easy, quick and lightweight. Les can be drinking her well earned cupper after we arrive ( I do the driving, navigating, setting up, what else is there!!?) and then erect the wind blockers if required. No more nagging...got to be worth it!!xroll:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a couple (okay three) awnings, one of which came from our very first van and is too short for newer van so we are donating this to the village events committee - it's a drive away. We also have two Sunncamp awnings with the shock cord poles. The larger is a drive away, takes an inner tent and we can put it up in about five minutes but it takes two of us to do so. Putting away again about 5 mins but only needs one person. The other awning is a porch type affair and hasn't been out of it's box yet..... similar to the larger awning but should be a single person jobbie to put up as there is only one pole.

People say to put the awning up and then attach to the van but we found it's much easier to attach to the van first :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

They're not storm proof and I would take ours down even if just strong winds were expected. The sides and bottoms are secured just with elastic. This means you can't leave it up if it might get windy overnight. We have the version with the inner screens. On the plus side they take up very little space when stowed which is probably a good thing as they spend most of their time stowed away! Useful occasionally for us but a bit of a faff to put up.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @irnbru,
We purchased a Glossop's Quest Pop up Gazebo/ Tent
great piece of kit , pops up in about 5 mins plus another 10 mins to peg if windy. 3 storm straps holds it with out pegging if no major breeze.
They come in 2 sizes 4 sided or 6 sided,
ours is six sided all netted to keep wind out & so you can sit or eat outside in comfort & comes with covers for each of the six sides to keep excess wind or rain out.
Well worth ÂŁ249 or ÂŁ200 for the 4 sided.
So easy to popup ! or take down ( needs 2 to do ).
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Same van Apache 700...
For years I have used..
Windblockers, for easy quick set up when it's maybe hot or a bit breezy..
KAMPA MOTOR RALLY 390 XL... Used by many funsters and ideal for the height of the Autotrail. Some polework but not that much and some is the flexi type. Prices have dropped a lot on these lately and they do a nice grey one now.
Mine is the old gold coloured one.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
That looks excellent and very easy @FIDGET but does any of the other panels open as a door? Just thinking if it was placed tight against the MH then how would mum get outside?

The Kampa is what mum fancies but its too much hassle with the poles for me. Quick and simple that I can do by myself is the way for me.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Well I have traumatic childhood memories of parents fighting with windbreaks on Welsh beaches and can`t bring myself to even consider buying one now, even though we could have done with one at Shell Island this year !
I think now I would rather sit in the van if it`s not fit to sit outside, IMO only of course !

Deleted User
We couldn't get the black without having the plastic inner sheets, and so went for the blue. BE CAREFUL you don't lose the side poll springs, they can slide out and drop onto the grass when you separate the polls. I always make sure I remove/fit them first. We had a Fiammi Zip privacy room, but it was so heavy to put up, we sold it.
Yes they do like to break free!

Deleted User
Ours will hopefully give the dogs a bit more space to stretch out without having to be tethered all the time, they really are quick and easy to use. Don't think we would have a need for them if we didn't have the dogs though, we would be in the pub instead :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
That looks excellent and very easy @FIDGET but does any of the other panels open as a door? Just thinking if it was placed tight against the MH then how would mum get outside?

The Kampa is what mum fancies but its too much hassle with the poles for me. Quick and simple that I can do by myself is the way for me.

Hi @irnbru
no only the one door opening.
We put ours about 4 ft from the van hab door then put the roll-out out about 5ft , so if it rains we don't get wet going one to the other.
we would have bought the 4 sided one but they had sold out at Malvern show, hence the six , we can get about 10 seated in it comfortably with a couple of tables in the middle.
Packs up to about 2mtrs long & about 1ft x 1ft, bit weighty at about 17 kgs. I have no problem lifting on my own,
Putting it up just needs someone else to hold one of the six sides while I pull the others out then pop up the roof. fix 3 storm straps & bobs your uncle, put a few pegs in just to be safe.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Sandra I agree with @FIDGET : I have the four sided version and find it great, very easy for one person to put up/take down and only takes a few minutes. It has taken some rough weather this year but is still in one piece. Will have it at Peterborough for you to take a look at if mum can wait that long!!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Will have it at Peterborough for you to take a look at if mum can wait that long!!
We aren't going but going to the Ladies only meet so we can see it there if we haven't bought one beforehand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back