wind out awning, colour / length / style

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Apr 20, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Morning all (edit by the time I had finished typing it was well into the afternoon, so afternoon all) (y)

Several things to ask about / for us to think about and chose

Our Hymer is champagne colour and has a wind out awning bolted on

I don't know if they are not available in champagne but ours is silver, not that bad but would look much nicer with a colour match

It is also IMO oversized, being a demo I think the dealer just did it for show, the carcase length is 5500mm with the canvas length being slightly shorter

We have a blow up Kampa air, one of the three section XL taller and wider (and heavier) this has slightly bent or possibly simply aggravated a natural bow on such a long awning

The Kampa fits into the awning bead which means the awning has to be partly extended to expose the bead and get it low enough to reach, again probably aggravating the weight issue. That channel is made from aluminium and no thought can have been given to passing a canvas covered bead into it, the sharp edges have ripped the beading cover really badly, making it hard to get in now and needing repair

The Omnistor has never gone away fully since we got it, initially there was a problem with the canvas being slightly twisted sorted by @Terry at our first meeting of the great man (y)

So, (specially for @wigster :LOL:) I now have several choices decisions

get the awning serviced and sorted, maybe at the same time get it sprayed, but we would still have a very long awning that could distort again and the aluminium bead would not change although we might get it filed smooth

or change the awning

then comes a new series of questions

the current awning is attached to a rail that is in turn attached to the MH, are they universal? am I committed to an Omnistor awning without changing the rail?

that rail is about 5m long, would it look wrong and maybe unsightly to have some exposed length if I fitted a shorter awning

Can you get champagne coloured awnings without having a special paint job (not out of the question)

What about a powered awning, I really fancy that idea, then do you go for a DC or AC option, if AC not sure if they cant be used without mains or you just have to wind it

Probably far too many questions, but any input would be gratefully read :)

IMG_1656.JPG IMG_1657.JPG IMG_1658.JPG IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1660.JPG IMG_1661.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi david why don't you try a kador strip beading into your awning and some fig of eight connectors this will stop any damage to your awning :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

thanks for that, we do that already but have found it slides around too much when windy and has come apart at the joints (y)

4. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

You've missed the optimum option! Wouldn't you be better keeping the awning and getting rid of the Hymer given the dodgy headlamp?
    :whistle2::imoutahere:
    Ouch!!!

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

thanks for that, they still only white, silver or black

the burgundy idea sounds interesting, will do some research, especially if I have it painted (y)

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

The light has also been sorted by Terry :) just needs aligning now (y)

but thanks for raising the memory :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Are you using the right size connectors as they come in 4/6mm and 6/8mm as I have found out :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

11. Speve

Speve Funster

There was a thread on here recently about Kampa air go porches which spoke of the bending issue to the wind out and that the sales people advised using a broom to hold centre up whilst threading the porch to the wind out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Stick with Omnistor/Thule if you're changing. Chances are their fixing holes won't be the same as Fiamma. IMO Fiamma awnings are inferior to Omnistor, plus ours is electrically operated and can be a right pita when its not been out for a while. It has to be coaxed out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

David,, I have an older Hymer and the original owner had a 4.000 awning ( wind out) attached, now he had a bracket fitted which is nearly the whole length of awning,, I just today had an omnistor newer year but used 4.500 mtre put on, and my fear was would it fit to old bracket? Well it was fitted in 5 mins and the bloke said the brackets are all universal, so by that he said either fiama or new omnistor would fit!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

@DavidG58 your awning looks the perfect size to me.
    It's just long enough as to not obstruct the opening of your windows.
    In my experience they all bend a little out of shape and/or don't work that well.. you could spend good money repairing/upgrading and end up with the same problems later on...

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks for that Ian. I don't really want to get involved in changing the fixing plate, but do quite like the look of the Dometic electric options, but have also just seen Kens comments about his, knowing my luck it would just become something else to go wrong (y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I read that thread and think I even added to the comment, trouble is it becomes a 2 person job, which it really shouldn't be, although we would normally only put it up if away together, in fact that is a for sure, on my own I wouldn't use the Kampa, but the awning distortion means we still need a broom or similar to put it away 'unloaded', it is even worse when the Kampa is attached

17. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

A Burstner has just left here at SAP and it had a champagne 8000 series omnistor I think he paid 1200 at Mbee Motorhomes
    Mine is electric too and 4.5 metres and as Ken said Thule is a better product IMHO

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

If you speak to roses awnings, he will buy your old one from you.
    See what he suggests for the replacement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Sorry David. If I didn't explain correctly !! The fixing plate I was told will be ok for all canopies,, at least mine is! Lol. Sorry to confuse the matter!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we only have one opening window on that side anyway, the one with our MHF name in it by the bed, but it pushes out from bottom anyway so awning will not be in the way, the other window bizarrely is fixed, even though it has all the fitting=s it would need to open, the TV drops down in front of it which might be the issue, but no idea really

my thought was reduce the length reduce the risk of dipping in the middle (y)

but I might just reduce by 500mm if I do change :)