Wind (no not that type)

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Millibobs, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Millibobs

Millibobs Funster

Hi guys
    Just had fitted a 80c auto search dish . Never used the old Katrein one cos it didn't work.
    My question is (and it might be silly of me to ask but-) in what sort of wind strength are they safe to use. I put mine up the other day and it seemed to be flexing a bit in a breeze.
    Having cost a fair bit (to me ) I didn't want to take any risks of damage.
    I always see same sort of dishes on vans on sites left up perm.
    Any advice please:Smile:

2. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I have an Oyster 85cm dish and will generally leave it up until the van starts to get buffeted by the wind. Don't know what the recommended wind speed should be but in 4 years I have not had a problem. It also depends on the wind direction. I know when the picture starts pixelating that it is time to take it down.

3. Millibobs

Millibobs Funster

Many thanks Southampton will try when on site in Mazarron next week. At the moment the "bus" is parked in the garden next to north facing gates that get the full north wind across our field with no protection at all.
    Regards
    David:thumb:

4. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We had the Oyster on our last van but switched to the Roadpro dome on the new one as 1. That's what the dealer stocked and 2. I was bothered at times by the wind with the dish and lost more then a few games of footie when I lowered it for safety. Don't have that with the dome but of the two I'd prefer the Oyster if only because it's lower when down.

• Like Like x 1
  5. laneside

laneside Funster

Oooops on our recent trip you may not need it at Mazarron unless you have a Sky box and card or like watching round and round Sky news or foreign channels.

No BBC or ITV channels until you get back up above the Biaritz level, someone is bound to come on and say different

6. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

It very much depends on the direction of the wind. Sideways on, it will take a lot more than when it is front on acting as a sail. There is a sacrificial part in there that will break and bring the dish down if it gets too bad, but of course, you are stuffed until it is replaced, all be it, the part, not costing a lot. When I spoke to Oyster on this very subject during the heavy winds, last November, they basically said to lower the dish when the pixilation of the screen, made trying to watch the the television annoying.:Smile:

7. Phill D

Phill D

to add my 5 pence worth.... :Blush: its not only potential damage to the dish, lots of flexing can take its toll on the roof..:Eeek:

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I've noticed a lot of the 'travellers' in France tow their caravans with the sat dish up. I don't know why, perhaps it's a signal like the bottles on the roof in Turkey.

9. Millibobs

Millibobs Funster

Thanks to all replys and help.
    Think I'll only use the dish in calm or little wind,reason I got the new dish is cos had total roof replacement after hailstone storm damage last October.
    Cheers guys:thumb: