Wind charger wiring

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Snowbird, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Having spent a week with little sun to charge my batteries I have decided to buy one of the Maplin wind chargers as a backup to my 2 X 75 watt solar panels. Was thinking the best way to wire it in and I have come up with this idea. Because the wind charger needs to be taken down when driving I thought of stickaflexing a small steel plate to the roof so that the magnetised base will stick to this. Then run the wire down the outside of the bus and fit a din socket in the skirt wired to the leisure batteries. Then attach a din plug onto the windmill and plug in...hey presto. The added advantage of this is I get an outside 12 volt socket when the windmill is not connected. Also don't have to run wires through windows etc. What are your thoughts on this.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If I were to do it I would use a standard caravan S plug & socket as is used for our free-standing solar panel.

One end of the cable is permanently attached to the clamp bolts on the battery using O ring terminals. The cable, terminating in the plug/socket (can't remember which way round it is) is coiled inside the battery box when not in use and led out through the EHU route when in use.

I'll be very interested to learn what sort of results you get from the VAWT, Dave.

3. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

And the good thing is when there is no sun or wind you can drive around and make your own:Doh::getmecoat:

• Like Like x 1
  4. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Sorry bout that, I to would be interested:thumb:

5. Snowbird

I know there was a post regarding the Maplin charger a while ago,which was not very favourable,but I already have 2 X 75 watt solars which when sunny are more than adequate for my needs. Have been on an elevated coastal site this last week and a wind charger would be ideal as a backup to the solars.
    What I like about them is that they work at night when the solars don't and even though they are not very high output,they are at least doing something when am not drawing from my batteries.Am not recommending a wind charger against a solar system but I think its a good backup for cloudy days.

6. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

have you considered lunar panel's for night time chargeing,although more expensive than solar they are considered a worthwhile investment:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I looked at them for the same reason when the first came out, Dave, but didn't jump because I was unsure about their efficiency compared to the rather more expensive model which Ray has. That's why I'll be very interested in your results :Smile:

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I thought it was only Chris and me that had the Lunars when did you and Ray get em, Very noisy in daylight though:Doh:

9. Snowbird

Only realy worthwhile above the Arctic Circle in winter.:Wink:

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Keep up at the back, it's VAWTs that is the subject of this lesson not noisy gennys :BigGrin: Ray's had his for a few years. We haven't got one yet :Smile:

11. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

12. Snowbird

I dont think loonypanels are going to be much use to me Chris...I need to run more than my alarm clock:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

wow.. super impressive :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i like the write up:Rofl1:
    LunarPanels.com is the foremost supplier of proprietary lunar photovoltaic technologies. Our Lunar-Cyclops™ Technology constitutes what many believe to be the pinnacle of non-sun panel construction methodology. Prior to this stunning innovation of science, photovoltaic technology was limited to sun-based applications—now the sky’s the limit!
    Lunar-Cyclops™ Technology allows us to generate almost 1.2 watts of clean raw electricity per hour, freeing our customers from the grid—and their monthly power bills. For mere thousands, you can save hundreds of dollars worth of raw electricity over the life of each Lunarpanel, providing unmatched peace of mind. Imagine powering your alarm clock or even a night light for free! With Lunarpanels, the raw energy of the moon is yours!
    remind's me of solar:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. Snowbird

Well Chris some may scoff at solar but having used it now for over 11 years without hookup,I think I have proved beyond any shadow of doubt that it works.I have the greatest admiration for your 12 volt charger,but if you were where I am now and started it up or even looked like you were going to start it am afraid you would be asked to leave the site. I use several sites that have no hookup and the use of generators are banned ,so am afraid your infernal combustion engine is of no use whatsoever here on Shell.

• Like Like x 3
  16. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

read the rules for the site, genny's are banned:thumb:
    battery chargers aint:thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. Snowbird

Annoying other site users is not only banned...Its just not done on this site.
    Anyone making undue noise to the detriment of other site users will be asked to leave.
    God I love quite when am chilling.

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The bit I liked is

• Like Like x 1
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

But might result in a charge leading to battery :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  20. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

so let me get this right dave,the site you are staying on has no ehu,you are not allowed to run a genny,so how do you charge up your batteries when its over cast,or how do peeps get power if they have no solar?