Wind Blocker Awning Enhancement. (1 Viewer)

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Hello All,

We are just back from the Bristol ballon fiesta. This was our first "funster" meet, we were a little apprehensive, but all was fine, and we met some lovely people.

One of the people we met was "silkcut1105" Stuart, who helped us out with the fridge settings for gas on our 1997 Sundance 500. This was our first time without a "hookup" and yes, we did mess up.

In general convesation, Stuart mentioned our newly aquired "Wind Blocker" awning suround, and suggested that rather than peg the bottom of the "WB" with tent pegs we might try using lenghths of bamboo canes through the loops on the bottom of the "WB"

So, fresh back from the rally l was thinking of what Stuart had said. l had some electical plastic conduit in the garage that l thought might do the job, to this end l cut the three lenghths to size, one for the front and one for either side. l then cut each one in half and inserted a short length of metal tubing into one half of each. l glued this in place with epoxy resin, the reason for cutting each side in half was for ease of transportation. l then drilled holes in each piece for the tent pegs.

l have uploaded a photo of the sections so as you can see what is what. l hope this might help.

Regards,

John

Attachments

• 20150811_162810.jpg
    20150811_162810.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 225

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we use adjustable clothes props through the elastic loops have done for a couple of years now ,
They can also be used as clothes props .....

we also had a piece of waterproof material sewn onto the top of the end blockers and thread the spring tentioned poles through it , this keeps the wind out even better .

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
We've got windblockers and like them but I'm confused...What's the benefit of the bamboo, poles, bungies? Aren't pegs quicker to put in and easier to store. Is it to hold the bottom of the mesh sides taught when it's really windy?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've got windblockers and like them but I'm confused...What's the benefit of the bamboo, poles, bungies? Aren't pegs quicker to put in and easier to store. Is it to hold the bottom of the mesh sides taught when it's really windy?
I was wondering that. I guess if you have very good ground you need only a couple of pegs to hold the bamboo pole. But the downsize is you need to carry bamboo poles around. We'll stick to a bag of pegs. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have been told that the loops that you peg through on the bottom of the nets tend to break off easily so better to thread through a piece of bungee cord & peg that down.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Ours came with separate bungie cords that hoop through the loop. Did you get these as well? I used ours once on holiday, but no breeze but was hoping it would shade me a bit. I think i will attach some material to it when it is sunny to get a bit more shade :)

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Ours didn't come with bungy cord but might give that a go this weekend out of interest. Though haven't had a problem with just using pegs so far. We bought ours from Malvern show last year and got the one with shower proof liners which would also keep out the sun.... Haven't needed to roll the liners down yet though & can't see what's going on when liners down :D:D

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have used bungy's for quite a while now, if a wind comes with just the pegs they strain on the loops but with the Bungy threaded through the loops and a couple of pegs securing the Bungy no pulling and straining on the loops a altogher more solid job.

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Oh well, you do yer best, and l should know that other's always know better. l was doing me best to pass on information that l found helpful. lt was to me, and l thought l'd pass it on. To those that might find it helpful, great, to those that don't, well, l'm just trying to help.
John.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@G1YDQ Thank you for posting your idea John - that's what the forum is all about, trying to help & share info. & ideas with each other. You will see from the other threads that Funsters all have different ideas & don't agree all of the time - sometimes that is what makes it interesting! Even if no-one comes forward & replies with something positive (some only read the comments & never post anything) about our ideas you can be sure many more will read it & hopefully some will find it useful although we will never know - so far this thread has had 555 views but only 17 comments.

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
@G1YDQ I thought it was helpful too which is why I was watching the thread to see if it was worth doing the enhancement. I'm going to try the bungy idea though as not much space for extra poles & I wouldn't have known about that without your post so thanks (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back