Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi everyone
I have a 80w panel coming and although it comes with a 10amp controller, I've gleaned from here and there (I've not a clue:Doh:) that a Mppt controller is the thingy that maximizers yer panels potential, so to that end I've found this Link Removed wadayathink???????.

Applause, advise and piss taking all welcome:thumb:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My advise is always get the best charge regulator you can afford and get one that is at least double the rating of your solar panel,just in case you ever decided to buy another panel. Have tried the cheap regulators in the past and as well as them not lasting long they have a lot of power loss. I now have fuzzy logic...whatever that is:Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes they are more effieciant
At 20 amp you will have expandability certainly 2 more maybe 3 panels should you wish to
However I cant help feeling due to the cost of these regulators that you would get better value from the £s spent by adding another panel instead,£ for £ the extra panel is far better value
If you have not got the room for extra panels then a 10amp Mttp would be more cost effective
geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for the replies fellas, i think there is probably room for one more panel on the roof but with only 85amp to charge, didn't realy want to add too much weight but at the same time I won't have this van forever and the next one might have a lot more room so hence the 20amp. I just think Id rather have one panel working at its best than loads of panels weighing me down:Doh:

But maybe Im wrong?:Blush:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi Wizzer!::bigsmile:
I'd be really interested to know how you get on with this controller.
At the mo', I've just fitted a 185 watt 24V panel to the top of my 5th wheel in readiness (hopefully!) for going to Spain for the winter and quite honestly, I'm gutted at the rather pathetic output from the panel.
I'm getting an average of 1 amp with a best in full sun(ish) of 5 amps which considering its a 15amp max panel, I'm rather disapointed with!
I've even spent £200 on two new 110amp Elecsol batteries cos I thought my existing batteries were getting tired after two years Fulltiming but its made no difference!
I cant decide whether its the lack of direct sun we've had in Cheshire for the past few months or if its the fact that I have a bog standard controller, not an MPPT which I believe are much better.
I like the look of the one you posted cos its also got a digital readout which most MPPT's dont seem to have. The only thing that worrries me is ordering from Taiwan!:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
what size of cable ?

I'm getting an average of 1 amp with a best in full sun(ish) of 5 amps which considering its a 15amp max panel, I'm rather disapointed with!

That's poor to say the least..

What size cable are you using ? Too light and you will have significant volt drop which will drop the current ..

Voltage drops through incorrectly sized cables are one of the most common reasons for low voltage system faults.

there is a common misconception that the cable is sized for the max current without taking into consideration the system voltage, length of the cable and the acceptable volt drop. This is so important on low voltage systems ..

to get the max out the panel you must have the correct sized cable ..

For that size panel on a 3 mt run it should be at least 10mm2

increase the cable length to 6mt and you need 16mm2

handy solar panel cable sizer .. http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
That's poor to say the least..

For that size panel on a 3 mt run it should be at least 10mm2

increase the cable length to 6mt and you need 16mm2

handy solar panel cable sizer .. http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

10mm2 !!!!!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Strewth thats heavy stuff!

From panel to controller = about 2.5metres using 4mm2 (supplied)
From controller to batteries = about 1 metre using 6mm2.(supplied)

PLEASE dont tell me I need to start running thicker cables again!!!!!!:cry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
10mm2 !!!!!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Strewth thats heavy stuff!

From panel to controller = about 2.5metres using 4mm2 (supplied)
From controller to batteries = about 1 metre using 6mm2.(supplied)

PLEASE dont tell me I need to start running thicker cables again!!!!!!:cry:

sorry, if you want the max out of the panel.. that's the way it is..

I'm amazed that some 'reputable' solar panel installers don't seem to understand this very basic electrical law..

a panel comes with say 2 mt of 4mm2 and they think that it's perfectly acceptable to increase this length without taking into account the volt drop and increasing the cable size to match .. but how many are actually qualified electricians or where they fitting double glazing or kitchens in a previous life :RollEyes:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
sorry, if you want the max out of the panel.. that's the way it is..
..............or where they fitting double glazing or kitchens in a previous life :RollEyes:

Actually, it was his sideline from making wooden childrens playground equipment!
Teach me for going for the cheap option!:Doh:

Gutted tho I am, thanks for your help Jim, much appreciated.

Couple of further questions, if i may?

1. Given that the panel came with "flying leads" in 4mm2, about 750mm long, with MC4 concetors on, should I just "up" my cable size from controllerto panel conector or would it be better to try and get into the control box on the back of the panel and "up" the flying leads dia' as well?

2. Is it "special" cable or can I use "bog standard" stuff from B&Q (assuming they "do" 10mm2)?

Ta, and thanks again Jim:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Actually, it was his sideline from making wooden childrens playground equipment!
Teach me for going for the cheap option!:Doh:

Gutted tho I am, thanks for your help Jim, much appreciated.

Couple of further questions, if i may?

1. Given that the panel came with "flying leads" in 4mm2, about 750mm long, with MC4 concetors on, should I just "up" my cable size from controllerto panel conector or would it be better to try and get into the control box on the back of the panel and "up" the flying leads dia' as well?

2. Is it "special" cable or can I use "bog standard" stuff from B&Q (assuming they "do" 10mm2)?

Ta, and thanks again Jim:thumb:

If not too difficult replace the completed run, panel to controller, controller to batteries with 10mm2..

Don't fit domestic cable, it's too rigid and not suitable for harsh environments ..

this is the correct stuff .. single core ..

H07 RNF Cable 10mm 1-Core per Metre

£2.40 per Metre

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the readable output from a solar panel depends on the state of charge of the batteries, if you really want to see what they could be producing rather than what the regulator has cut it down to put a heavy load on the batteries. Then read the charge rate. you might be surprised. at this time of the year the sun is low in the sky better results can be got by putting the panel almost vertical and pointed south.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi everyone
I have a 80w panel coming and although it comes with a 10amp controller, I've gleaned from here and there (I've not a clue:Doh:) that a Mppt controller is the thingy that maximizers yer panels potential, so to that end I've found this Link Removed wadayathink???????.

Applause, advise and piss taking all welcome:thumb:

Yes I can recommend that one :thumb:
I can say I got it for £72 best offer, it arrived in less than a week and it feels like quality being from Taiwan NOT China although Chinese stuff is pretty good mostly.
mppt-103-L.jpg

BTW it was dearer when I bought. If you're going to offer now start at £60 and make sure it is undervalued or a GIFT

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Yes I can recommend that one :thumb:
I can say I got it for £72 best offer, it arrived in less than a week and it feels like quality being from Taiwan NOT China although Chinese stuff is pretty good mostly.
mppt-103-L.jpg

BTW it was dearer when I bought. If you're going to offer now start at £60 and make sure it is undervalued or a GIFT

Cheers for that, very helpfull and looks the biz:thumb:, mind you those cables look a thin, you sure they are up to spec:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mmmm Yes could do with changing that now even though it's only half a metre max :Doh:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Contact the seller and communicate your fear of import duty and VAT I'm sure they'll be helpful :winky:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
By the way Techno100, Did you have a basic controller before this one? and if so did you find much difference?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I had the Juta 20 amp with LCD display but I not only swapped for the MPPT but upped my panels from 140 watt to 200 to maximise it's potential. Since I changed all my lighting to LED it is nigh impossible to put enough load on my batteries to make it reach its capability. Best so far as pictured above on a reasonable day giving 10.3 amps with 22" LG led tv freesat receiver
350watt pure sine inverter 40 watt netbook on charge and all 20 LED lights on.
MPPT will perform better than PWM come the winter days

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I paid on 19th of June and left feedback on the 29th That is 8 working days :thumb:

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Since no one wants to talk inverters, may as well give this a try.

resistance = resistivity × length / area (all measure in Ms)
reistivity of copper at room temperature (20 C) = 1.7 * 10-8

Assume 3 m length and 10 mm cross section, therefore gives 5.1 ohms, so max current is V (24) divided by R(5.1) gives a max of 4.7 amps.
Or did I get a decimal place wrong?
JK

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
........and one of 'ems mine!!!!!::bigsmile:
Thanks for the heads up mate (says he, hoping & praying that it actually arrives!:ROFLMAO:)

So what price did we negotiate? I may buy some more

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They are accepting £69 minimum :thumb:

thx for your offer. This is a Metal housing SOLID design mppt controller with 20A charging current, a big LCD display. I wish to accept your offer, but as ebay+paypal charges over 9%, GBP 69 is really our best. hope to serve your business. thank you.

This is what one looks like on my dining table
DSC1386-L.jpg

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
BTW I asked what they meant by solid metal? as I know the case cover is plastic. They replied that they refer to all the aluminium used inside for heat dissipation . Just a translation issue.
Mine is on the way

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
........and one of 'ems mine!!!!!::bigsmile:
Thanks for the heads up mate (says he, hoping & praying that it actually arrives!:ROFLMAO:)

I bought mine on the 9th after you but for £69 and it has just arrived right now! only 5 working days :thumb:

EDIT I just bid on a 3rd lol and accepted £69 again. I've opened it up and photographed the innards for any sceptics. My photosite is offline for service just now so I'll post pics soon.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back