Will This Be The Demise Of Diesel Engines

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Borderland, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Borderland

Borderland Funster

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It could be the demise of older diesel engines in the larger cities - and not before time. It is cities where the pollution problem lies.

3. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I was in Rome last week and when walking about sightseeing the fumes from the scooters that they all seem to have were affecting my breathing :confused:

4. Borderland

Borderland Funster

I assume it will mean Low Emissions Zones in all UK cities.
    I also wonder about the future of diesel engine cars. The manufacturers have to fit Diesel Particulate Filters to comply with current emissions and I had heard quite a few horror stories recently about owners of cars approx. 4 - 5 years old where the DPF has failed and it has been a very expensive repair. Also I am not sure if the DPF will reduce the NO2 emissions which seems to be the main issue.

5. Sidney

Sidney Funster

So UK road haulage companies will be exempt (or just pass the costs on) for any new clean air baloney.

EU lorries won't bother.

Taxis made in 1986 will still be driving around the towns and cities.

and if your motorhome isn't less than six month old you'll be paying a significant amount of money to drive into the zones.

I'm pretty sure I will want to live somewhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

Sounds like a lead in to more 'GREEN' taxes to me
    Don,t get rid of it, Tax it !!!
    Lovely Jubbly
    Mr Osborne says thank you very much

• Like Like x 1
  7. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Easy option for the government

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel

Mel Funster

I wonder how the managment of clientearth travel around the globe.
    They can't use dirty aircraft can they?

• Like Like x 5
  9. PeteH

PeteH Funster

More RIP OFF. Time for a Change. Revolution get rid of Greenies. Or we will all be back in Mud huts, Rickets, Diphtheria. Turn the clock back to the "good old days". We all walk and the "gentry" (and politicians) still get to ride!. Bar Stewards!!.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  10. PeteH

PeteH Funster

The issue with that is, The older Motor-homes are owned by those who can least afford to "upgrade". Unless of course the "government" are going to replace them for free??

In my dreams!!

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  11. Borderland

Borderland Funster

What I don't understand is why the emissions from diesel engines is a fairly recent topic. I remember approx. 35 years ago doing some contract work at MIRA (Motor Industry Research Association) and it was known then about the nitrous oxide pollutants. You would have thought that by now they could have developed a reliable filtering system to overcome the problem.

12. andy63

andy63 Funster

I'm well confused.. not hard I know...We were all encouraged to go down the diesel route...manufacturers produce an effective high speed diesel engine and when enough are sold the price of diesel overtakes petrol...
    Engines are now so efficient that the new pollutants are the nitrogen oxides which you wouldn't get unless there was effecient clean combustion. We go down the route of dpf and egr valves to reduce these...don't know where it will end up... There will always be something else and it will be as always us who foot the bill....
    I've just deleted the egr function on my van....might have to consider reinstating it to help save the planet :)
    O well rant over
    Ta andy

• Like Like x 2
  13. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

That's it, I've had it!! Encouraged to buy and use Diesel, now ostracized for doing so. I'm going to buy an electric motorhome provided I can find a good sized power cable...:wasntme: Perhaps we can run them like trolley buses! ::bigsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Lorries are already being upgraded. This is the whole point of the Euro Emissions Standards.
    Trucks already have to use something called AdBlue to reduce NOx emissions. Truck manufacturers are already adding more and more technology to trucks to reduce emissions.

Have a look at the Difference between Euro I and Euro VI. In 1992 when Euro I came in the limit came down from not measured to 8g/kWh. By 2013 when Euro VI came out this had been reduced to 0.4g/kWh. That is a massive reduction. This only applies to Lorries/Trucks. The limits for smaller vehicles are even lower. But when you consider there are only about 474,000 Trucks on the road and the lifespan of trucks is limited. Whereas panel van's used by couriers, small businesses etc and taxi's are run for many more years and are more likely to be doing short run stop and start.

EU lorries are no differenent to our lorries. In fact even Australia has standardised on the Euro Emissions. The truck manufacturers pretty much produce the same truck for all markets.

I have just done the Drivers CPC course. 1 whole week in a classroom of which almost a whole day was spent on things like the above and the technology involved for safety and environmental protection. I believe from what I learned on that course, further research and manufacturers data that the Haulage industry is actually leading from the front on this issue.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

London emissions tighten up next September. Think I'll wait for euro 6 until I order new van!:(

16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

They have. See my previous post regarding AdBlue/SCR

17. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Here in Norfolk there is a firm that runs immaculate old erf trucks with the twin split gearboxes. How much pollution and energy would be required to scrap them plus the same to make a new truck against a little more pollution from continuing to use them ?

• Like Like x 1
  18. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Not necesarily as the London Emission Zone classifies any motorhome under 2,5Tonnes or any van under 1,205Tonnes & diesel as compliant .:)(y):LOL: I have a nice piece of paper Boris has sent me stating that I am registered, compliant
    & " Euro 5 " :LOL::LOL:
    You can't make this stuff up.:giggle:
    No that's not going to happen.:LOL:
    In my case I wanted one that A) was diesel B) old type & capable of running on anything, just like a diesel was invented for ( & it can do if required), C) gave good mpg , which it does.

All the new type crdi's & I've got one & had many others, are all ok until there's a shortage of fuel, Vladimir kicks off & there's a shortage of refined stuff.
    Even bio-diesel blocks the fuel filters in no time & that is if the manufacturere specifically states that the vehicle can run on it .Many used to specifically exclude including Ford;Kia; Hyundai.

19. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

& off the record they will tell you they have led ; there is no more; there is no where to go after Euro 6; the have reached the end of the line.
    The diesel engine wasn't invented to run like this it was invented to run without needing an outside source to fire it , relying on compression only. It was designed to run on anything remotely usable as fuel.
    Do they fit crdi & ad-Blue; & all the other tat in battlefield equipment? NO , as it wouldn't last 5 minutes & that is what you need to keep at the back of your mind.

Many traders & vehicle recovery people on a UK forum I use, when faced with finding that there vehicles would be non-compliant, ripped the diesel engines out & fitted huge petrol engines. Now they are compliant !! :LOL:

20. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

A few years back the mechanic told me that the "particulate filter" had gone on my saab, anyhow I heard filter and thought cant be that much can it ?
    The guy was a mate and he tracked one down for about 300 quid ,I said that's bleep bleep expensive,his reply was that the saab dealer wanted 800 quid for it

Diesel engines are so complex now , I can just about figure out where to put the water for my windscreens

They do have a very valid point about polution