Will the EHIC still be valid if the vote is out (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
That's right, so how can she alone promise a veto, unless of course the Germans do run the EU ;)

Each country has a veto, it only takes one be it Merkel or Cameron if either one, or any other country's leader, declared that a country would not be allowed to join then it would not happen.That's what a veto means.

That does not mean that Germany, the UK or any other member country that exercises the veto is 'running the EU'.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Each country has a veto, it only takes one be it Merkel or Cameron if either one, or any other country's leader, declared that a country would not be allowed to join then it would not happen.That's what a veto means.

That does not mean that Germany, the UK or any other member country that exercises the veto is 'running the EU'.
What happened to THE VETO when they let GREECE and PORTUGAL in then? They will let TURKEY in within the next five years,,,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think anyone who thinks they have an equal say about what goes on in Europe is mistaken. Germany has been Europe's bully for many years and it continues to this day. She is in charge and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I've no doubt that history will repeat itself and the UK and a few allies will have to bail Europe out again. Maybe the Referendum could be the start of that process.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think anyone who thinks they have an equal say about what goes on in Europe is mistaken. Germany has been Europe's bully for many years and it continues to this day. She is in charge and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I've no doubt that history will repeat itself and the UK and a few allies will have to bail Europe out again. Maybe the Referendum could be the start of that process.
I think this referendum has come too early on the grounds of immigration only at the run up to an election. If we vote to stay then we will be the gopher of europe doing everything that is asked of us without redress.
If we leave then it is too early, not the right time to decide our faite. It is a trump card that we shouldn't have played yet.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the press today reports that Merkel, has vowed there will never be a place in Europe for Turkey.

With a comment like that, anyone would be forgiven for thinking she and Germany ran the EU :doh:
Given the comments of many on here about Turkey and the EU isn't there at least half a chance that she might be speaking for more than Germany? :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Given the comments of many on here about Turkey and the EU isn't there at least half a chance that she might be speaking for more than Germany?

Just saying like she talks about Europe like she owns the place, and commenting that she probably does :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I have to say I haven't followed this thread slavishly, just here and there.

And so I just read all the way through it.

I know where I am tempted to vote, and was hoping for elucidation on ANY part of the full picture, from points that one or other of my Motorhoming 'mates' might have made. However there are none here that I wasn't aware of already - and very few of those actually - most of it has been squabbling! LOL

And so if I had to vote in or out today - I would vote with my gut instinct and that is coloured more by the things that appear to be wrong with the EU than the things that have been or still are, right with it. The major 'anti' thing there, would be what is a simple investment question - let's say you want to invest £100. Not a fortune because you don't have one of those, so you need to make sure you don't lose the money - however are willing to wait and see whether it actually gains any profit over and above the initial stake.

One company provides accounts so you can assess on past performance whether they are going to last long enough into the future to even safeguard the stake, let alone provide dividends- plus that business has been in existence for centuries - nay! - millennia! - whereas the other business has been there for only a few decades and will NOT provide any accounts for you to make your decision.

It is also fair to say that the young company has provided a few 'flashy looking' 'products' to tempt you from time to time. Have to confess - I am always attracted by bling - but then my Sensible head usually tells me it's a waste of money.

So where does that leave me then? Stay with the devil I know? Yes - OK - I'll do that.

But the EU is not that Devil ........ !!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Shouldn't all this , which is about EU in/out & not EHIc, be over in that thread as I bet on 290 pages:D & don't want them wasted scat about 'off topic' on other threads ? :LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
No mention of GASSING on this thread or A Frames,,BUSBY..:):):)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
They showed that with Mosley in the 1930s so it's no surprise when Farage is given the same treatment.

I haven't yet heard Farage, Promote Anti Semitism, or any other Facist Ideal?. Pray tell us where that gem Came from?. IF anything Farage is Anti German?.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I haven't yet heard Farage, Promote Anti Semitism, or any other Facist Ideal?. Pray tell us where that gem Came from?. IF anything Farage is Anti German?.

Pete
I've posted many times over the years that Farage and UKIP remind me of the nationalistic ideals of Mosley and his party. Just the overall impression they give me.

Reactions: DBK

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Farage and UKIP remind me of the nationalistic ideals of Mosley and his party. Just the overall impression they give me.

Yes, an IMPRESSION?. Would that be because you want it to be "the impression"?. IF, it was in any way TRUE. The "establishment" would have had a criminal case under way already?. Because that is the "impression" we get whenever "anyone" disagree`s with the Status Quo?. Or tries to upset the "Funny Handshake" perception of "How one should behave". After all "we cannot have "Business" being affected by plebs who want something different, silly little people, who dont understand what's best for them".

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, an IMPRESSION?. Would that be because you want it to be "the impression"?. IF, it was in any way TRUE. The "establishment" would have had a criminal case under way already?. Because that is the "impression" we get whenever "anyone" disagree`s with the Status Quo?. Or tries to upset the "Funny Handshake" perception of "How one should behave". After all "we cannot have "Business" being affected by plebs who want something different, silly little people, who dont understand what's best for them".

Pete
Sorry, am I not allowed to form an impression from the way I perceive people behaving? :)

As for "plebs who want something different, silly little people, who dont understand what's best for them", your words not mine :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I would suggest everyone has a look at the Professor being quizzed on youtube by a panel of mp's about staying or leaving.

He is quite clear our economy would improve and our exports to the EU would be unchanged.

worth a look at least he doesn't have an angle on it or trying to say votes.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
In - out, shake it all about…

The truth is that no one actually knows what will happen if we leave, that’s the only fact that we know.

There are major issues with the EU and it failure to change and its will to dominate everything. That’s the biggest gripe I have. Wine Lakes etc. etc. Stupid laws and even stupider politicians. Endless bailing out of failed states.

I am of the opinion that the Briexit is a stalking horse and the sooner the referendum happens the better, I foresee a small majority possibly in favour of IN. If that’s the case, David Cameron will have shot his bolt and the EU will expand at a fast rate, Turkey, more rules, more judgments against common sense.

If, on the other hand there is a small or big vote to leave then that will trigger the domino effect and other countries who have issues will come out of the woodwork.

EH1C, red herring.

Pound up/down whatever, another possible but no one is sure and they can’t be.

Trade up/Down, well that’s a yes and no answer, anyhow that won’t happen overnight, as markets will need to find alternatives. So that could be a progressive increase/decline. Those in will have to find alternatives to British goods etc., and we would have to find new markets. So again some scaremongering.

I say vote out, vote for change of the EU and bring back common sense.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Back to the OP, will the EHIC still be valid? If that is the only thing to be sorted then I think you're extremely lucky. As far as I'm concerned I will just take out a travel insurance policy and consider it a cheap price to pay for escaping the EU.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
In - out, shake it all about…

The truth is that no one actually knows what will happen if we leave, that’s the only fact that we know.

There are major issues with the EU and it failure to change and its will to dominate everything. That’s the biggest gripe I have. Wine Lakes etc. etc. Stupid laws and even stupider politicians. Endless bailing out of failed states.

I am of the opinion that the Briexit is a stalking horse and the sooner the referendum happens the better, I foresee a small majority possibly in favour of IN. If that’s the case, David Cameron will have shot his bolt and the EU will expand at a fast rate, Turkey, more rules, more judgments against common sense.

If, on the other hand there is a small or big vote to leave then that will trigger the domino effect and other countries who have issues will come out of the woodwork.

EH1C, red herring.

Pound up/down whatever, another possible but no one is sure and they can’t be.

Trade up/Down, well that’s a yes and no answer, anyhow that won’t happen overnight, as markets will need to find alternatives. So that could be a progressive increase/decline. Those in will have to find alternatives to British goods etc., and we would have to find new markets. So again some scaremongering.

I say vote out, vote for change of the EU and bring back common sense.

I fully agree with you and if i can't use my EC111 i will take out health insurance,,not the end of the world..BUSBY.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Remember that the EC111 or whatever its called , its removal or refusal will cause all those from the EU coming here to pay fro their treatment..
The UK pays more than £670m to EU countries for Britons' healthcare abroad, while claiming back less than £50m from the EU.
In what one MP described as a "scandalous failure", it has emerged that the UK pays more than £670m to EU countries for Brits' healthcare abroad, while claiming back less than £50m from the EU, even though there are significantly more EU citizens in the UK than UK citizens in the EU.
Under the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) - countries can claim back health costs from other EU countries if their citizens use medical services abroad.
The new figures reveal that nearly every country claims more from the UK than the UK claims back from the rest of the EU.
For example the UK pays France £147,685,772, but France only pays UK £6,730,292 and the UK pays Germany £25,873,954 but Germany only pays the UK £2,189,664.

Even in countries such as Poland where net migration is massively towards the UK, the discrepancy is four-fold in Poland's favour.
MP John Mann, who obtained the figures in a parliamentary question, told Sky News that "logically the UK should be receiving more than it pays out".
He estimates "the real cost is a billion pounds a year".
Mr Mann told Sky News: "Other countries are recharging and we are not.
"The figures are astonishing - we are paying them 70 times more than they are paying us.
"We are paying our bills and they are not paying theirs - because the British NHS is not recharging them.
"There is meant to be a comparable system in place - but it is not being applied in this country and that means we are losing out.
"Every single country is winning against us, be it the super-efficient Swedes or Germans, or countries like Malta or Greece.
"It's a huge scandal."

The Department of Health said: "This Government is determined to make sure our NHS isn't abused - our tough new measures to clamp down on migrants accessing the NHS are expected to recover more than £500m a year by 2018 and we're extending charges further to other parts of the NHS including A&E."

"We pay more out than we receive, partly because a far greater number of British pensioners live in other EEA countries."

For example, there are 70,000 UK pensioners living with Spain.

However, Sky News learned that while the UK does not reclaim A&E expenses for EU citizens - Spain is among countries that do.

The Department of Health told Sky News: "It is up to each country in the EU about what health services they charge for."

Mr Mann described the pensioner explanation as a "myth".

He told Sky News: "We're not sending pensioners to Poland, only 30,000 UK citizens are living in Poland.

"There are over half a million Poles in this country and yet we are paying four times more to Poland for health care recharges, than they pay to us.

"The NHS is losing out on huge amounts of money every single week."
Broken Link Removed

So there are big savings to be made there..

See, scaremongering again,,,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Remember that the EC111 or whatever its called , its removal or refusal will cause all those from the EU coming here to pay fro their treatment..
The UK pays more than £670m to EU countries for Britons' healthcare abroad, while claiming back less than £50m from the EU.
In what one MP described as a "scandalous failure", it has emerged that the UK pays more than £670m to EU countries for Brits' healthcare abroad, while claiming back less than £50m from the EU, even though there are significantly more EU citizens in the UK than UK citizens in the EU.
Under the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) - countries can claim back health costs from other EU countries if their citizens use medical services abroad.
The new figures reveal that nearly every country claims more from the UK than the UK claims back from the rest of the EU.
For example the UK pays France £147,685,772, but France only pays UK £6,730,292 and the UK pays Germany £25,873,954 but Germany only pays the UK £2,189,664.

Even in countries such as Poland where net migration is massively towards the UK, the discrepancy is four-fold in Poland's favour.
MP John Mann, who obtained the figures in a parliamentary question, told Sky News that "logically the UK should be receiving more than it pays out".
He estimates "the real cost is a billion pounds a year".
Mr Mann told Sky News: "Other countries are recharging and we are not.
"The figures are astonishing - we are paying them 70 times more than they are paying us.
"We are paying our bills and they are not paying theirs - because the British NHS is not recharging them.
"There is meant to be a comparable system in place - but it is not being applied in this country and that means we are losing out.
"Every single country is winning against us, be it the super-efficient Swedes or Germans, or countries like Malta or Greece.
"It's a huge scandal."

The Department of Health said: "This Government is determined to make sure our NHS isn't abused - our tough new measures to clamp down on migrants accessing the NHS are expected to recover more than £500m a year by 2018 and we're extending charges further to other parts of the NHS including A&E."

"We pay more out than we receive, partly because a far greater number of British pensioners live in other EEA countries."

For example, there are 70,000 UK pensioners living with Spain.

However, Sky News learned that while the UK does not reclaim A&E expenses for EU citizens - Spain is among countries that do.

The Department of Health told Sky News: "It is up to each country in the EU about what health services they charge for."

Mr Mann described the pensioner explanation as a "myth".

He told Sky News: "We're not sending pensioners to Poland, only 30,000 UK citizens are living in Poland.

"There are over half a million Poles in this country and yet we are paying four times more to Poland for health care recharges, than they pay to us.

"The NHS is losing out on huge amounts of money every single week."
Broken Link Removed

So there are big savings to be made there..

See, scaremongering again,,,
The MP needs to understand how it all works. Anyone who is legally in the UK , whether working or not, has the right to healthcare without an EHIC. The UK is residency based. If your feet are standing on the ground you have the right to healthcare. It is the payments out to other countries for oap's that is the only difference.
Of course we'll be paying Poland more than we receive as all the Poles in the UK have no need to use an EHIC as they have full right to healthcare. It has always been that way.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I
The MP needs to understand how it all works. Anyone who is legally in the UK , whether working or not, has the right to healthcare without an EHIC. The UK is residency based. If your feet are standing on the ground you have the right to healthcare. It is the payments out to other countries for oap's that is the only difference.
Of course we'll be paying Poland more than we receive as all the Poles in the UK have no need to use an EHIC as they have full right to healthcare. It has always been that way.
Understand how it works.

It's costing us a fecking fortune vote out to stamp it out.
Travel insurance is cheap enough.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Laid up with a bug I have just read this beginning to end.
My decision has been reinforced and it is true that either side of the vote is an unknown quantity, however the history is the judgement point as it is based on facts and experience.
One comment that drives me to insanity is the average age of death is now 85?????
My husband was 62 my mother 72. I believe this rubbish is a con put about by the Pensions industry to justify the theft of our paid for pensions. I will leave it at that as I don't want to go off the main subject.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I think Merkel played on the Germans guilt over the past but it has now become political suicide. I will be surprised if she survives. If we joined a Common Market how did we get drawn into this Monster full of unpaid unelected representatives (by the relevant populace) who diminish our democratic rights? Why do we want more of it? I do however take the point about our lapdog following of the US which I believe our major businesses promote every time they buy American business models etc. Don't we have our own ideas anymore are we as a country that dumb?

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I meant overpaid oops

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun