Will Never visit a main dealer ever again! (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Is that the one near Cambridge?

I drove 300 and odd miles to view a euro mobile there once.

I was told the dearer the van I bought the higher trade in I'd get for mine :)

Not sure how that works as I thought it went on book price

I was offered £6k for a 15k van against a 28k van ..Needless to say it was a wasted journey I sold privately for 15k and bought a burstner which was 2 years newer with half the miles of the euro mobile for 25k privately

Hi,

No it isn't Highbridge is in Somerset.

I think you're thinking of Wellsbridge. (I wondered how they got their prices so low, some people must be desperate to sell)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Hi,

No it isn't Highbridge is in Somerset.

I think you're thinking of Wellsbridge. (I wondered how they got their prices so low, some people must be desperate to sell)
Ah yes that's right i knew it was something bridge ......well they helped convince me il never buy from a dealer

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
SMC Motorhomes in Newark, just down the road from Brownhills. We didn't buy from them but get excellent service during the annual health check up!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Hi All, anyone found the same experience as us?
As we are NOT retired and are under 65?
But in our mid 40`s, clearly we aren`t retired with £50K hanging out of our back pockets therefore when you walk into any dealerships you are completely ignored,

So retired people are typecast as having loads of money

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi I have purchased two MHs from Brownhills and yes I have had a few discussions with there staff (on the service desk) I complained about the persons attitude and it was dealt with,They gave me a good deal on my caravan and also when I bought my second MH.The only issue I would have with them is the length of time it takes to get warranty issues sorted (then again they are dealing with the MH supplier/warranty supplier so in there hands)I checked the parts avalibilty and it was the same at another MH supplier that writes on this forum.
If I do get any issues that I consider not fare I will update.Paul

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Never ever had this problem in Germany, from dealers or buying privately. Maybe they are of the opinion that if you have taken the trouble to go to Germany to buy a van, you are a committed buyer. There is of course two sides to every story, and I can imagine that a motorhome sales pitch is a good day out for some. Some even encourage tyre kickers by having a cafe on site. I can just imagine Bert saying to Gladys on a nice sunny Sunday "Come on dear, lets go and have a look at some motorhomes, for when we win the lottery". It must be very difficult spotting a serious buyer from a tyre kicker, especially when the salesman has had little experience. Having sold enough vehicles over the years, I can spot a tyre kicker before he opens his mouth.
I have to say I've done this myself :)
I've taken quite a few out for test drives and have looked at many in the dealers .......no intention to buy new but it has helped with planning for the van im going to buy second hand in a few years

At the minute it's a burstner elegance tag axle 6 berth im after ......a 2010/11 should be in my price range in 2 years

That said anytime a dealer has asked me I've always been honest and told him im not buying :)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
As an absolute beginner I rang Marquis in Chievely near Newbury, The chap I spoke to was very helpful and suggested I pop down and he would talk me through Motorhomes.... I did go down and he spent 2 hours showing me every variant of van, but more importantly got me to think about what I was really looking for in a van and say 3 key criteria for must have's etc. he was superb. The next day I went back with my wife and we spent another 2 hours looking at vans and layouts...

By the end of the weekend we knew exactly what we wanted in terms of layout and had a lot more knowledge about owning a motorhome. We tasked him with finding use a van with a particular type of layout but a few days later found one ourselves on the internet in Nottingham and did the deal.

I spoke with Mark at Marquis and explained the situation and he was an absolute gent. Needless to say we will be going there for our services, habitation checks etc..

Very professional, very knowledgable and very helpful.

As for the problems with the dealership at the start of this thread - reminds me of Audi dealerships......

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
try to walk out with the itims.they tend to come to you then.i then pretend to be deaf.and shout at them.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Jim, I got my Autosleeper from Marquis Ipswich and found them good to deal with. After sales was a bit chaotic as some low life had nicked a few things off the van when on display (including the carpets which were kept in the locker!!) but they were courteous and helpful, even when confronted by a scruffy gorilla in jeans and tee shirt.
Haha standard navy dress then :rofl::moon2:

Now, :reel: as for the pongos :notworthy2::cheers:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978