LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Going to give the roof a quick wash,, will it hurt to use wash & wax ?
I know there are things for cleaning rubber roofs, but cannot get any in the area "Today"

Going to get some paint from Lindy C, and take to Spain and give it a coat,, but want to give it a quick clean now.

Thanks.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, The only problem I can see is the wax in it could make the roof very slippery so watch out you don't fall.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Going to give the roof a quick wash,, will it hurt to use wash & wax ?
I know there are things for cleaning rubber roofs, but cannot get any in the area "Today"
Going to get some paint from Lindy C, and take to Spain and give it a coat,, but want to give it a quick clean now.
Thanks.

Forget the fancy, EXPENSIVE washes for rubber roofs (sorry dealers!:Blush:)

Tip I got off RVAMERICA and I've been using it for years.
Ordinary car wax wash (Halfords etc) with 1 cup full of domestic bleach in it.
Brush on, leave 5 mins, scrub brush off and hose thorughly.
10 years, 2 RV's and 1 5ver later, I'm still getting superb results for a fraction of the cost.
Never had or seen ANY deterioration of the EPDM and never suffered from "chalking" as some have reported.
Best to swill the sidewalls first and take care to avoid overspill on the graphics. Must admit that i've never had adverse affects on the graphics at this dilution but i still take care, just in case.:thumb:

p.s As Braunston says, the roof WILL be very VERY slippy! Be very carefull.
Also, if you wear shoes, make sure the soles are spotless as the slightest bit of grit can puncture the rubber.
I always loose the shoes on the ladder and just wear white cotton sports socks.....................and doesn't Mrs Zaskar just LOVE that!!!!!! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Wash and wax from the local garage all I've ever used, my yank friends don't buy expensive stuff either.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
The only thing I wonder about { don't have a rubber roof } will the application of wax affect the paint you are going to use, sorry if I have got it wrong. Just a thought.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
personally we wouldnt wax it xxxxx but its your decision xxxx good luck and dont slip off xxxx

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks.

Given the age of your rig Mo,( pretty new), I'd be very surprised if you need to paint it.
EPDM has a 25 year (I think) lifespan and unless its seriously mistreated or parked under the chimney of the local chemical works, a good clean should be more than enough at that age.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If your not using propriotry rubber roof cleaners then soapy water, with a mild bleach solution 16% and then well rinsed is all that should be used
Any form of washnwax will totaly destroy any plans for painting the roof later
and result in seriously ugly flaking months down the line
IMHO painting a rubber roof is a last resort anyway and should be left till you have a powdery finish on the rubber,a sure sign deterioration is taking place and better adhesion for the new rubber compound:thumb:
Geo
ps might try painting Pammy's chest, can you buy it in bulk:Eeek:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks for the reply`s..

I had been and done the dirty deed before I read most of the answers..

I did use wash & wax,, it has come up a treat and the only dirt was normal sort of road grime,, and the roof and seals are in superb condition..

As "Zaskar" has said if the lifespan is 25 years unless damage is caused , by the time I come to paint it the wax should have disapeared,, and now I shall just wash every now and then with water.

Thanks one and all. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back