Will it hurt?

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by old-mo, Sep 18, 2009.

1. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Going to give the roof a quick wash,, will it hurt to use wash & wax ?
    I know there are things for cleaning rubber roofs, but cannot get any in the area "Today"

Going to get some paint from Lindy C, and take to Spain and give it a coat,, but want to give it a quick clean now.

Thanks.

2. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi, The only problem I can see is the wax in it could make the roof very slippery so watch out you don't fall.

3. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Forget the fancy, EXPENSIVE washes for rubber roofs (sorry dealers!:Blush:)

Tip I got off RVAMERICA and I've been using it for years.
    Ordinary car wax wash (Halfords etc) with 1 cup full of domestic bleach in it.
    Brush on, leave 5 mins, scrub brush off and hose thorughly.
    10 years, 2 RV's and 1 5ver later, I'm still getting superb results for a fraction of the cost.
    Never had or seen ANY deterioration of the EPDM and never suffered from "chalking" as some have reported.
    Best to swill the sidewalls first and take care to avoid overspill on the graphics. Must admit that i've never had adverse affects on the graphics at this dilution but i still take care, just in case.:thumb:

p.s As Braunston says, the roof WILL be very VERY slippy! Be very carefull.
    Also, if you wear shoes, make sure the soles are spotless as the slightest bit of grit can puncture the rubber.
    I always loose the shoes on the ladder and just wear white cotton sports socks.....................and doesn't Mrs Zaskar just LOVE that!!!!!! :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Wash and wax from the local garage all I've ever used, my yank friends don't buy expensive stuff either.

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

The only thing I wonder about { don't have a rubber roof } will the application of wax affect the paint you are going to use, sorry if I have got it wrong. Just a thought.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  6. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

personally we wouldnt wax it xxxxx but its your decision xxxx good luck and dont slip off xxxx

7. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Given the age of your rig Mo,( pretty new), I'd be very surprised if you need to paint it.
    EPDM has a 25 year (I think) lifespan and unless its seriously mistreated or parked under the chimney of the local chemical works, a good clean should be more than enough at that age.:thumb:

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If your not using propriotry rubber roof cleaners then soapy water, with a mild bleach solution 16% and then well rinsed is all that should be used
    Any form of washnwax will totaly destroy any plans for painting the roof later
    and result in seriously ugly flaking months down the line
    IMHO painting a rubber roof is a last resort anyway and should be left till you have a powdery finish on the rubber,a sure sign deterioration is taking place and better adhesion for the new rubber compound:thumb:
    Geo
    ps might try painting Pammy's chest, can you buy it in bulk:Eeek:

9. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Thanks for the reply`s..

I had been and done the dirty deed before I read most of the answers..

I did use wash & wax,, it has come up a treat and the only dirt was normal sort of road grime,, and the roof and seals are in superb condition..

As "Zaskar" has said if the lifespan is 25 years unless damage is caused , by the time I come to paint it the wax should have disapeared,, and now I shall just wash every now and then with water.

Thanks one and all. :thumb: