Will I get a good deal on an Avtex tv at Newark Show? (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
As above, I wondered what the chances are of getting a better priced tv at the Newark show?

After buying a freesat box, I have decided to swap for an 18"/19" all in one tv due to space and wiring routing.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
it was a serious question.. I'm not a cheapskate .. far from it, (and not implying you think I am,)

I always try to buy the best kit I can afford.. I spent nearly £2k on a gas cooker for the house when I could have bought a cheap one for a 1/3 of that .. but it was all about quality , so if someone can justify or explain why I should spend 300% more on an Avtex TV then I would consider it.

Well it certainly won't justify the whole of the extra price, but when I was doing a bit of research into what TV to get Avtex are one of the few who guarantee that you will not have a dead or stuck pixel and if you do it comes under the warranty for exchange. On most modern TVs you need about 7 in total around the outside or 4 in the centre for them to consider it being a 'fault'. All tv manufacturers could do the same as Avtex and guarantee no duff pixels but it puts the price up immensely - as shown by Avtex's price.

I discovered all this when I finally decided to upgrade the little portable TV that we had in the bedroom. I bought a small sony and on setting it up found one dead pixel, which typically after I had spotted I couldn't help but focus on it. After looking into it I found it was not classed as a 'fault' because there was only 1. Grr.

Upvote 0

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Hi kglblue

A little puzzled. We have a 16" Avtex in our van and we play films which can be as long as 2 hours plus direct from a standard USB sticks or Hardrives which are Fat32 formatted. So cannot understand why you cannot play a film longer than 1 hour.

Doug
I am interested in what you say, I have formatted in fat 32, but when plugged directly into the TV, they are not recognised. It's a modern up to date 18" Avtex TV which came with the van. The USB is a bog standard cruzer 32gb stick. Why it should work with your TV but not mine is a mystery to me. My avtex will not recognise anything other than FAT, if anyone can throw any light on this I will be grateful. We are off to France for 6 weeks next month, and watching the telly with a bottle of wine handy, is how we like to spend our evenings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
i sent mine back for above reasons! Bought a superb Samsung 22 inch with full HD including HD freeview for £99 from Tesco ( has analogue tuner for Spain as well). incidentally it will play any file I throw at it so far!

Doug says he has an Avtex which plays any thing thrown at it. But mine and it appears yours won't recognise anything other than FAT. I've had another look at the user manual, and it states "will only recognise FAT" I'm flummoxed to say the least. Perhaps mine is an older telly?

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
i sent mine back for above reasons! Bought a superb Samsung 22 inch with full HD including HD freeview for £99 from Tesco ( has analogue tuner for Spain as well). incidentally it will play any file I throw at it so far!
Do you have a model number for this please, so I can see if they still sell it. And does it have 12v input?

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Upvote 0

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Before I bought my van I never thought about TVs , but after carefully selecting extras to fit to the van my wife said " what about a TV " , don't need one says I . " yes we do , what if it rains " . so I bought an avtex l217drs complete with aerial and holdall . excellent quality but expensive .
If I had seen the thread about the finlux 22" , I would probably bought one of those instead as the price difference is massive . a side by side comparison would be interesting though .

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
sorry, but neither link works

it directs to this url.. with a blank page

Broken Link Removed

Ok I'm out and about at the moment . will look when I get home. Tesco site, 22inch 5000 model?£130 now

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If I had seen the thread about the finlux 22" , I would probably bought one of those instead as the price difference is massive . a side by side comparison would be interesting though .
Not tried side by side but bought the latest Avtex & only good enough picture on HD Freeview, sound was poor & dvd playback (important feature for us) was appalling so sent back. Having seen 12v Finlux mentioned on here, the smart version getting rave reviews from The Gadget Show, plus being half the cost with a money back guarantee if not happy decided to buy the 22" & find it to be excellent (y) PVR function is very handy too plus low power consumption. Do rate Avtex for their case & aerial though which work well with our Finlux :)

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you don't need a 12v tv & prefer the 240v Samsung tv mentioned by Judgemental then same price £129.95 but 5 year warranty at John Lewis http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue22h5000-led-hd-1080p-tv-22-with-freeview-hd/p1631357 & good aftersales if not happy. Power consumption is high at 38w for anyone using an inverter - Finlux is listed as 22w. We have a couple of Samsung tvs at home as good picture & price point but wanted 12v combi with dvd & pvr in the motorhome as only space for one battery fed by solar panel when off EHU.

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi kgjblue

I did not say it would play anything thrown at it. I said it will play films longer than 1 hour. My largest film file is about 1.5gb.

I convert my films to an .avi which is mpeg with DivX. There is a setting which gives you the ability to play DivX containing files to be switched off or on. You need to get into the TV's software settings to change it. When switched off the tv sees the stick and files on it but will not show the file names or play them.

Some tv's have had this set at off on supply but I know how to change it on mine. If you search on here you my well find how to do it. On the same page you can change the region for DVD's.

All the best

Doug

Upvote 0

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
My instructions state :-
When using USB1.1 mass storage class bulk - only transport devices , please note that the file operation system only supports windows FAT , it does not support FAT32 and NTFS file system .

This unit supports USB2.0 mass storage class bulk-only transport

I have a hard drive with some programmes recorded from satellite , I will go and have a mooch and see . I will also try a DVD and report on quality .

Upvote 0

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
OK , my hard drive wouldn't play files , they come up but it says unsupported .
I will look at bringing the TV in and setting it up to record some series that could be kept on the hard drive for a rainy day !
DVD quality is just that , not as good as Bluray or HD TV but perfectly good even watching at 4 feet . makes a lot of noise until it starts playback .
HD TV quality is great , with the supplied powered aerial .
CDs play as well , sound quality is good , but you would use the CD player at the front .

As I said earlier , a side by side comparison would be great .

For the amount of TV we will watch , a cheaper set would probably have done the same job .

Upvote 0

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi
New to all this and will only pick up our first MoHo on Sat.

Earlier in this thread there was mention of 'inverters'.
Can someone please explain for a technical thickie.
Thanks
Nik

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
New to all this and will only pick up our first MoHo on Sat.

Earlier in this thread there was mention of 'inverters'.
Can someone please explain for a technical thickie.
Thanks
Nik
An inverter takes the 12v DC output from your batteries and inverts it to produce 230V AC (i.e. mains electrics). But it will very quickly flatten your batteries if used for too long. Very useful if you like wild camping or using Aires with no electrics, have at least two good leisure batteries, and also preferably another method of charging the batteries.

They come in all sorts of outputs, from 100W upwards, and all sorts of types. I have a 3000W one (very thick wires to it!) that I use with 2 x 110Ah batteries and 2 x 100W solar panels. It makes sure my wife can dry her hair anywhere she likes!

Reactions: Nik
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our caravan had an avtex and it died within 2 years and very little use! Contacted the manufacturer and they said we would have to pay to return it! And pay for fixing! Blow that bought a £99 TV from sainsburys still going strong 3 years later. Avtex was heavy and ugley!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
OK, I have bit the bullet and bought a 19" Cello traveller with sat built in from Ebay. Pick up from Argos tomorrow and fit in at the weekend. :clap2:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back