Will bulldozing the 'Jungle' help x-channel Mo'homers? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
As soon as the children (sorry; 20 year olds!) have been removed from the Calais 'Jungle' the French have said that they will demolish the camp.

Will this help those of us Funsters who journey to France? Will removal allay our fears of travelling via Calais?

Any ideas as to where the migrants will move to? Presumably another port?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

They are being moved to reception centres all over France allegedly. From there they can either apply for asylum or be shipped home.

I bet a load do a runner from around the port area before the clearance starts in earnest.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I imagine attempted boarding of vehicles will simply move to service stations outside of the Calais area instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The solution seems simple. Refuse docking to any ferries coming from Calais. (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
No mention of shifting the migrant camp at Dunkirk funnily enough, unless it's already been done?

Having recently tried arriving at Calais and departing from Dunkirk via the Gravelines aire (which is only 5 miles from Dunkirk port along local roads), I have to say we'll probably do that again in future regardless of migrant camps. Just seems more convenient all round, and it was cheaper than a P&O Dover-Calais return ticket.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why are they suddenly doing it now ?
Why wasn't it done years ago ?
You don't think it has something to do with the upcoming elections & not wanting the right wing to get in ?
& if they clear it now & disperse them across France then any camps that might spring up in the future should be destroyed instantly.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cue, "Le Marseillaise". The French ALWAYS do everything too late!. That why we have had to pull their "Cherries" out of the fire twice in the last hundred years!!. Before that we had the "Little Guy" (nappy or something) he was a pain in the Arras, they keep bitching about Agincourt, something about not liking two fingers?. In fact the French have been nowt but trouble since the Romans went home!.

As for Marie le Pen?. If she came and stood for Parliament Here. I would vote for her!.. More BALLS than anything WE have.

Pete

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
As soon as the children (sorry; 20 year olds!) have been removed from the Calais 'Jungle' the French have said that they will demolish the camp.

Will this help those of us Funsters who journey to France? Will removal allay our fears of travelling via Calais?

Same thing happened quite a few years ago now when they demolished the site at Sangatte. Lasted for a while until they find another piece of waste land, helped by the 'do gooders' who think all these 20 to 30 year old children need help.
Mind you, hasn't bothered us as been crossing over for at least 3 return trips for many a year, don't let it worry you and get on with your life and travels really.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought Mexico was doing that.
Confused.
Plenty of work for immigrant bricklayers in New Mexico and California then. Funny I thought the Mexicans owned all that area before they were ethnically cleansed along with the Indian Tribes.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Not had any problems going through Calais,,,biggest problem is the M 25,,when will they get rid of that,,,BUSBY:D:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Cue, "Le Marseillaise". The French ALWAYS do everything too late!. That why we have had to pull their "Cherries" out of the fire twice in the last hundred years!!. Before that we had the "Little Guy" (nappy or something) he was a pain in the Arras, they keep bitching about Agincourt, something about not liking two fingers?. In fact the French have been nowt but trouble since the Romans went home!.

As for Marie le Pen?. If she came and stood for Parliament Here. I would vote for her!.. More BALLS than anything WE have.

Pete

Bit of a bother in 1066 ,,,BUSBY...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Came back via Dunkirque this time and only saw a few migrants shuffling along the road with blankets round their shoulders, but NO sign of a camp !!
Question is,,,, What blind idiot in France did the vetting of these adults passing off as children ????
Its TOO Late vetting again once they are here !!!
Mitch.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

Never had a problem with Calais either by ferry or train. I suspect a lot is done specifically for the media. In all fairness, geographically there are a few ports we could travel from to Europe and I do appreciate that travelling to specifically to a particular destination is good. We love France, Germany, Holland, etc and there's so many places in Northern France to see and pass through and some great Aires. I think I get a bigger buzz out of seeing what we've done, where we've been and how little it's cost us. However, we do now travel by train because we want Pepper with us rather than in kennels on board. Only deviation was to Dunkirk because of price. Didn't see any immigrants there either.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Came back via Dunkirque this time and only saw a few migrants shuffling along the road with blankets round their shoulders, but NO sign of a camp !!
Question is,,,, What blind idiot in France did the vetting of these adults passing off as children ????
Its TOO Late vetting again once they are here !!!
Mitch.

I have only seen the photos in THE MAIL,,,they could have been of any one,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
At least the French court threw out the application to stop the demolition of the Calais Jungle camp.

Can you imagine any of our soft English judges not granting some kind of temporary stay?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have only seen the photos in THE MAIL,,,they could have been of any one,,,BUSBY,,

According to some, a number of those photographed are translators, not the kids moving to the UK. The kids under the age of 14 were not photographed and some of the older looking peeps were kids when they were first selected for a place in the UK.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
According to some, a number of those photographed are translators, not the kids moving to the UK. The kids under the age of 14 were not photographed and some of the older looking peeps were kids when they were first selected for a place in the UK.
Some newspapers just could not tell the truth,,,,,And people buy and believe them,,Would not wipe my ar,e on The Mail, Sun, Star,or Express,,,BUSBY:D:D:D.​

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Some newspapers just could not tell the truth,,,,,And people buy and believe them,,Would not wipe my ar,e on The Mail, Sun, Star,or Express,,,BUSBY:D:D:D.​

It seems that it is the Mail that is going on about these migrants so it is good to know that their "news" is rejected as as tosh.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
ONLY, getting OUT of the EU ASAP. Has ANY chance whatsoever of giving us the RIGHT to say Yea or Nay, to the filth infesting these camps. They SHOULD have been deported back to the first safe landing under EU law. Never mind being allowed within 21miles of the English Coast!.

Pete

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
It seems that it is the Mail that is going on about these migrants so it is good to know that their "news" is rejected as as tosh.
When did The Mail ever print NEWS,,,BUSBY:LOL::LOL::LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Bit of a bother in 1066 ,,,BUSBY...

Did I miss out Bill The Conk?. Shame about poor `arrold though, he almost had it won then goes and get one in`t eye. Still we got a Nice Big Tapestry out of it!. er indoors likes that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
"French presidential frontrunner Alain Juppe has said the border with the UK should be moved from Calais to Kent arguing it was for Britain to handle the migrant crisis".

That will make it tricky!!

Maybe we will do as airlines do and if any illegals arrive then it is the responsibility of the airline to take them back where they came from!!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
"French presidential frontrunner Alain Juppe has said the border with the UK should be moved from Calais to Kent arguing it was for Britain to handle the migrant crisis".

That will make it tricky!!

Maybe we will do as airlines do and if any illegals arrive then it is the responsibility of the airline to take them back where they came from!!
If they are in France they should have registered there, why haven't the the french registered them ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back