Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
Hi
My OH is keen to try a bit of wild camping altho I am a bit more cautious as yet. i would be intrested to hear from anyone who has experience of wilding in the sort of weather we are currently experiencing. OH assures me we would be fine, and the van does get lovely and warm. However, we have only had the odd night sort of semi wilding on pub car parks, where it has been for one night only and the evening spent in the pub, so no probs with draining the battery down. All longer trips so far have been on sites with EHU, so no probs with lights heating etc.
So, is anyone out there at the mo, and how is it going??

Macytia

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
4 years
Best time to do it, no one is going to bother you in these conditions:ROFLMAO:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I think there were quite a few people 'wilding' on the motorway in Hampshire last night who wished they were in a motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We are off to Norfolk tomorrow for a couple of nights on a beach, wish us luck :thumb::thumb:

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
Well I wildcamp all year round so i s'pose you could say I have some experience. The last two winters have been the harshest for decades but still managed OK. For battery charging I have 2 solar panels on the roof, 80 W each, which is overkill in the summer really, but in the winter the more watts the better as the sun is lower in the sky and the day is much shorter, plus there tends to be more cloudy days in the winter as well. Even at midwinter though it's enough that I can still get online every day, albeuit not for as long as I'd like. If you don't have solar panels then you should take a genny if you want to stay out in the wilderness for very long, although if needs be you could just run the engine for a couple of hours a day to keep charged up. As long as the van is well insulated and you have a good heater you'll be OK. To be honest, the hardest thing I found wasn't keeping warm, it was finding liquid water during prolonged periods of freezing temperatures. My water tank, pipes and tap freeze up so then I have to rely on water in plastic containers kept inside, but the trouble is where to fill them, as all the places I would normally get water are outside and so they were also frozen up. When there is lots of snow on the ground you can stuff it into a kettle tightly packed to get a hot drink or two, but I only really got through those times because I was able to call on house-dwelling friends who would refill my containers for me, but it was only for about 3 weeks it was that cold.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we wild camped in spain at xmas it was that cold we had to put a t shirt on in the evening . (already was wearing shorts. )never had a problem with leccy never saw a ehu for 5mth .did see a few funsters though enjoying their travels .

sussex gone north

Free Member
Jan 18, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
Wild winter in Scotland

We go most year for the skiing in Scotland - use the ski centre at Glencoe. Went this year in Feb - really really cold - the high during the day in the car park was -3, the night before it had gone down to -11 at sea level and we were almost 1000 ft higher. We survived and so did everything except the starter motor - never worked out why that went???

Next night went to the camp site at Invercoe - there was even a layer of ice over the sea!!!

Coming back over Rannoch Moor evrything was frozen - wall to wall white on the ground - wall to wall blue in the sky.

Roll on next year.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
We go most year for the skiing in Scotland - use the ski centre at Glencoe. Went this year in Feb - really really cold - the high during the day in the car park was -3, the night before it had gone down to -11 at sea level and we were almost 1000 ft higher. We survived and so did everything except the starter motor - never worked out why that went???

Next night went to the camp site at Invercoe - there was even a layer of ice over the sea!!!

Coming back over Rannoch Moor evrything was frozen - wall to wall white on the ground - wall to wall blue in the sky.

Roll on next year.

very interested in your winter experience Did you have to have your heating on 24/7 to stop the water from freezing ? Did you wild camp??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back