LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Many towns in Powys allow overnight stays on their car parks. We've stayed in Hay-on-Wye and Welshpool. I think there was a small charge but we were made very welcome.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm more than one example I have looked at the street view clearly shows a no camping or no overnight parking sign. In at least one case I arrived somewhere and there was a 'no cooking no sleeping' sign which could not be seen on Google maps. It is not flawless.
Google maps are certainly not to be relied on.
For instance, Link Removed about the restrictions on the Coast Road at Redcar/Marske which have been in place since the beginning of this year. The Google Street View images of that road date from September 2011, when off site camping was not restricted there.
The images of Cat Nab car park at Saltburn (whichI also posted about last month) are only 2 months old and show the signs but the main one is not readable. I can't recall what it says about camping but it doesn't need to say anything because the restriction is in the parking order and does not need to be repeated on the sign.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I always tell the places we stop and buy stuff that we are in a motorhome so they know we aren't taking and not spending. I know that @irnbru takes photos of before and after when she does the litter collect. Anything to help change perceptions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Many towns in Powys allow overnight stays on their car parks. We've stayed in Hay-on-Wye and Welshpool. I think there was a small charge but we were made very welcome.
Powys allow overnight camping (1 night in 7) at a number of car parks, some of which are free overnight and some of which are charged. See the Powys entry Here for a PDF of information the council supplied a couple of years ago (prices have risen since).
Powys is the only Welsh council to allow camping in its car parks as far as I know.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Powys allow overnight camping (1 night in 7) at a number of car parks, some of which are free overnight and some of which are charged. See the Powys entry Here for a PDF of information the council supplied a couple of years ago (prices have risen since).
Powys is the only Welsh council to allow camping in its car parks as far as I know.
When we were there last year the council man said one night in seven but as it was very quiet (September) he wasn't too worried if we wanted to stay longer. We were asking him the best place to park where we would be well out of the way. As I said they were very welcoming and helpful.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That's exactly what I call wilding and I'm fast reaching the conclusion that my suspicions are correct.
There are a good few opportunities in the remoter parts of mid-Wales, which is not too far from you.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
MotorhomeFun is my Club of choice but we also belong to Wildcamping.co.uk which has a massive database of wild camping spots all over the UK and the continent. We have used many of them and all except one have been great some for one night some for a few. They also have a database of toilets and water taps.
Must you be a paying member at that site to use the Database ? if not then what does becoming a full paid member get you ?

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Must you be a paying member at that site to use the Database ? if not then what does becoming a full paid member get you ?
Yes you need to be a paid member to get access to the database

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If the car park is owned by Snowdonia NPA then it is covered by the order which bans overnight camping in all Snowdonia NPA car parks and there is no need for signs as a result.
The fact that there are no signs in a car park certainly does not mean that overnight camping is allowed.
Silly question, but how in the hell would anyone know that! As we used to love to say in a previous work place:
"Picture the scenario, I roll up in my van, weary and wanting to get my head down. I am responsible, so I go and read the signs, oh good, no restrictions, I shall stay here tonight!"

[edit]
For clarification, that rant is not aimed at you @GJH just the general stupidity of our lawmakers!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Silly question, but how in the hell would anyone know that! As we used to love to say in a previous work place:
"Picture the scenario, I roll up in my van, weary and wanting to get my head down. I am responsible, so I go and read the signs, oh good, no restrictions, I shall stay here tonight!"

[edit]
For clarification, that rant is not aimed at you @GJH just the general stupidity of our lawmakers!
Not stupidity of lawmakers at all Daniel.

Anyone would know that because they checked beforehand - and if they didn't check beforehand they would assume it was not OK to stay rather than it was.

What we have to remember is that all land is owned by somebody and it is up to the owner what we can do on that land. Unless the owner has given permission for camping the assumption has to be that it is not allowed, not that it is OK just because we want it.

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
I agree with @DanielFord If it is legal to park somewhere but not overnight and there is no sign to say so then it seems harsh if not against natural justice to be punished for it. If there isa sign saying that you are not allowed to overnight or as in Snowdonia NPA pay sites that parking expires at midnight then I am not going to stay.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Not stupidity of lawmakers at all Daniel.

Anyone would know that because they checked beforehand - and if they didn't check beforehand they would assume it was not OK to stay rather than it was.

What we have to remember is that all land is owned by somebody and it is up to the owner what we can do on that land. Unless the owner has given permission for camping the assumption has to be that it is not allowed, not that it is OK just because we want it.
Sorry don't agree one bit , and if what you say is true then how come many fixed penalty parking fines have been over turned when drivers have refused to pay them and then taken the case to the tribunal and won due to lack of signage.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sorry don't agree one bit , and if what you say is true then how come many fixed penalty parking fines have been over turned when drivers have refused to pay them and then taken the case to the tribunal and won due to lack of signage.

There are very few, if any, people who know as much about, or have done as much work on, this subject as Graham.

If he's stating something, on this subject, as a fact then you can be pretty confident he's correct and he's basing his statement on research, not opinion.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Fixed penalty fines or charges in private car parks? The two are different. Some council car parks contain signs saying only something like "Parking must be in accordance with the current order" which are perfectly legal.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Last week we stopped at a beautiful beach on the outer Hebrides,the car park was full of litter ,we went round and collected all of it and deposited later in a wheelie bin ,a local saw us and he was made aware that we had cleaned up the car park ,it was locals he said ,you guys clean up after yourselves.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I think there are still places out there but the people who know about them keep them to themselves.

It's when they are publicised on public forums, whether this one or the other one mentioned above, that the freeloading/scumbag element find out about them and start abusing them.

The last thing anybody with any sense does is tell anyone about their favourite spots.
I live in Devon and it's getting to be a real problem on Exmoor and Dartmoor . I honestly don't believe we should be encouraging it by posting about it. Sorry to be a kill joy! (so agree with nicnick)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I live in Devon and it's getting to be a real problem on Exmoor and Dartmoor . I honestly don't believe we should be encouraging it by posting about it. Sorry to be a kill joy! (so agree with nicnick)

I think you're agreeing with me? If you know somewhere that you can overnight why would you share i? I know I don't.

I'm a Devon boy as well, Exeter born and bred, but left 12 or so years ago following my work at the time.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I think you're agreeing with me? If you know somewhere that you can overnight why would you share i? I know I don't.

I'm a Devon boy as well, Exeter born and bred, but left 12 or so years ago following my work at the time.
Yes I was agreeing with but my post was badly constructed lol btw my spell check changed your name to "nitpick":)

I'm only a blow in... Blown in from Dublin via London!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We never wildcamp in England but here in Scotland it's just an alternative to a campsite, depends what we want. Spent a couple of nights in the Galloway Hills last week. The comment above about the Hebrides echoes our experience this year. A lay-by we parked up in had some rubbish, an oven, old engine and a fridge. Definitely not from a motorhome!

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
A lay-by we parked up in had some rubbish, an oven, old engine and a fridge. Definitely not from a motorhome!
Seeing that sort of thing always makes me wonder what sort of homes these people must have? They'll drive to some remote lay-by or lane rather than go to a local - usually free and probably closer - tip or recycling site!! SLOBS!

Then again I suppose the cr@p could have been deliberately deposited to make the location unappealing to those awful wilders.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Driving round the Hebrides, indeed the West of Scotland it's amazing how many abandoned cars there are sitting outside cottages. One of the problems they have is there is nowhere to take them when life expired, at least not without a cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back