Wilding At The Tour De France (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Hi Folks,
we are going out to watch some of the alpine stages at the TDF this year.
Specifically the two stages which pass over Col Du Glandon on the 23rd and 24th July.
The plan is to get to France on the morning of the 19th, stop over in Langres on that night and travel to the Glandon on the 20th. That means we'll be there three days (ish) prior to the Tour.
Now, the Col has quite a few areas to park (I'm thinking of beside L'Eau d'Olle on the D926 ( https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.2...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sR9t4x5F4MFxazmEltP71xg!2e0 ) or between Col Du Glandon and Croix de Fer again on the D926 but I've only seen it when cycling through on French Sportives (usually biting my handlebars). How ever I have seen MH's up there well in davance of the Tour passing.
So, two queries to this rather long winded thread;
  • Can anyone advise on parking up on Glandon when the Tour comes
  • Given that most of the hire MH's in Europe will be following the Tour in July have I given myself enough time getting there prior to the event?
And the third is - will the cassette last 4 nights (if I lay off the beer)

Cheers
Bill

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Get there as early as you can...when we done the Alpe d'huez stage, arrived 5 days before to blag a spot by the skin of our teeth! Well worth it though. You may find that they have temporary emptying facilities, but I suggest you carry a spare cassette....put all your loo roll in a seperate bin too....saves a bit of space (y)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
As Leltel says.

Get there as soon as you can. Two years ago we went on the VENTOUX arrived there three days before the race arrived and just found room. We were five K from the top. The Police have NO issues with you so long as you are off the tarmac. Brilliant atmosphere when you are there. We shall be in the Pyrenees on the Tourmalet for this years race. Anybody who has not seen or not interested in cycling to see the TDF in the "flesh" is something special these chaps are real tough guys.

colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Guys, we saw 5 stages last year in the rainy first week including the cobbles - hence my avatar at the 1 Km to go in Gerardmer.
I've ridden Glandon from both sides and its brutal - especially from the North. I just love watching the helicopters over the race approaching and the atmosphere building. We will give the Alpe a miss as ther'll be no chance of getting anywhere near it. I know a sneaky little road into Huez village but probably the rest of the world knows it too. If only the missus could cycle up hills....

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
For the past 6 years we have taken 3 weeks off and followed Le Tour, atmosphere is electric. This year we went over for the Paris-Roubaix and will be going for the Criterium du Dauphine in June instead. The Official Tour de France magazine is a must, route maps are excellent

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
If you can try and find out if it is a summit finish , if it is then you have to park facing down , get there at least two days before the stage and don't expect any sleep . Atmosphere is terrific and builds as the day approaches , hope you enjoy yourself .

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Two years ago we arrived three days early , surprised to be the first to arrive , we settled down approx 2km from the summit finish .After a wine filled evening we were awoken by the local Police enquiring why we were there , after informing them we were here for the Tour we were told that we were , " on the wrong f xxxxxg mountain " .
We left rather sheepishly .

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
don't be such a skinflint! Go to AS BIKES you will find that everybody who has one from them will give them 100% +

colyboy

ps We got up Ventoux last year!!

Drain man

Free Member
Aug 27, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class Swift Kontiki 660
Exp
Since 2013
Hi people, my thought is to park on an Aire approx 20/30Ks from the tdf route and cycle in. Getting off Glandon after could be a problem with a M/H. ( Google the Col Collective Mike Coty ) a good source of info. Help please,Are the TDF route maps available via Smiths????

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
To see the "tour" YOU HAVE to get on a mountain. Don't park 20/30ks away. Get on the mountain you want and push your way in!!

TDF route maps normally come out if I remember correctly about June. There is normally two or three that are produced. The one to go for is the one that normally comes in a box with a DVD of the last race. The map included shows all the roads used which some times are very small shows every K and is easy to follow. Normally priced about £9.99. Beware of the cheaper ones.

Hope this helps
colyboy

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yeah, final maps always come out late in case of changes in route.
If it was me alone I would park away and ride in - and I may do that if I want to try and get to Alpe d'Huez - but will probably give it a miss. Having said that I'd be in no hurry to cycle up Glandon from either side again - very painful ..... I'll be in no real hurry to get off Glandon either so not too worried if I have to wait a few hours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back