Wildcamping

Discussion in 'Wild Camping' started by ShiftZZ, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Why do motorhomer's do it?

There is nowhere to dump?
    No contingency if you run out of gas or electricity?
    Yes it's 'free'

Is it just the 'romantic' notion or just cheapskates...

I love the French aire system and when possible I pay when asked, yes there has been the odd occasion when I have left early for a particular reason. I dislike those who brag about having cheated the system.. That type of attitude is bad and will in the end kill off the network (yes I know all nationalities do it) Its not clever.

I must say that I have wildcamped but took a decision some time ago to stop, the risks can be high, I also don't like camping alone on an aire, again, safety in numbers, or help is required..

Thoughts

• Like Like x 6
  2. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I can only agree with everything you say.:Smile:

:Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Whats next on the agenda, gassing, Aframes, RVs versus Ice cream vans, caravans V motorhomes, grey water dumping, England V Wales rugby, employed v unemployed, smoking v non smoking. Am off down the beach whilst this is going on. Byeeeeeee :Cool:.

• Like Like x 14
  4. crapboxemptier

crapboxemptier Read Only Funster

i think is more about modern day survival in luxury in the so called wild, i have spent 20,000 pounds on wild camping aides electric gas etc plus when you spend 1300 pounds on fuel on a trip to spain, being ripped of on sites at 30 euro a night is not my idea of fun. i can tell you im no cheapskate, when you can book in a hotel full board for the same price .just remember why you have a motorhome,caravan club perfect example 40 pound for night at nec birmingham travel lodge over looking car park 29.99 .

• Like Like x 5
  5. crapboxemptier

crapboxemptier Read Only Funster

gassing makes me laugh

i think its bottles of cheap wine cant wake up and blame it on gas ,can you imagine how much gas you would need .:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Likewise.. at Aldeburgh, while parked on the sea wall, (before it was banned ) during the night we had one of our windows broken by a gang of yobs.. I got up to see a car speeding off ..Gave both of us a terrible fright.. after that we never did it again..

Why did we park there .. ? because it was free ... simple as that..

Unless you hike or hill walk there are very few places left in the UK that can be classed as wild and.. anyways... proper wild camping is done in a bivi tent far from civilization ..not a hotel on wheels.

If you want to park for free, off grid, off site, call it what you want.. good luck.. but don't call it wild camping.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 9
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

There have been plenty of incidents on French aires involving youths and stones, it hasn't stopped me using them. Though I understand why being involved in an incident might put you off.

8. Snowbird

Loads of incidents of electrical spikes on European campsites, doesn't stop people plugging in though.
    I once had a table disappear in the night on a campsite, crime has no favourites.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snowbird

Although Smudger and myself are not freeloading at the moment as we are on our winter quarters in Benidorm, we will be helping the local economy a little today. Smudge just rang to say he wants a Marianos belly buster breakfast which cost 2 Euros. After this a nice stroll along the promenade into old town, FREE. Then maybe a tapas lunch 5 Euros. We may even push the boat out and call and have a couple of 1 Euro beers on the way back. Looks like an expensive day today, I dont think there will be much change out of 10 Euros. Its a good job neither of us have anything on the drip otherwise we would have to move off the site and go back to freeloading :RollEyes:.

• Like Like x 11
  10. JJ

JJ Funster

Still on the old wind ups hey?

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 5
  11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Why do motorhomer's do it?
    • It is not being a cheep skate I for one love to wake up in a nice location on my own with just my shelf and my family
      and never levee any thing moor then tyre tracks we normally levee with more than we cam with we pick up other's litter.
    • There is nowhere to dump? we plan up trips so the we can empty our castes as we need to and always ask ether the garage or use sites and offer to pay to get rid of our waste many pubs will let you lift there drain cover to empty your casket I have never had a problem yet
    • we always tack all our litter with us till we find somewhere to dispose of it or take it home if it is a sort weekend trip we have never had any problems
    • some of the mane problems I find is your midal class who buy a motor home nice posh one think that it is beneath them to pick up a bit off litter or dispose of it in the correct manor I see more abuse of spot's by those sorts than any others .
    • and I have met so many snobs who are tighter than a ducks arse we spend in the local community we visit they wont pay the prices that the local shops charge we are only to happy to help the community's we visit and don't need to worry to much abut pay load as we buy as we go.
    • tight arse snobs take every thing they need for a trip and don'tspend a penny in the local shops and are usually running over loaded.
    • and a have always advocated that etch to there own and if it is done in a responsible manor there is no harm done only good.

• Like Like x 17
  12. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Why when this topic raises its head is it a matter of wildcamping or using a camp site. I confess I am happy wildcamping Sue is not, so we do a little of both.
    As regards security it is all in the mind; Sue feels "safe" on a camp site whilst I feel no less safe wildcamping.
    I have camped on campsites and sat up all night with a group of like minded people because tents had been slashed during the might and valuables stolen. As very few campsites have security fences they are not safe or secure.
    One site we stayed on had a public footpath running at the back of our emplacement.
    There is an argument of safety in numbers, but serious thieves will be attracted by a large number of vulnerable motorhomes in one place just as a lorry park on the motorway is an attraction for lorry thieves. Whilst an attack on a lone mh is likely to be just a opportune occurrence.

Using campsites has become ridiculously expensive providing facilities I do not want or need at a price that is not competitive (See contrast with Travel Lodge and Premier Inn at £29.99) Also campsites do not want mh taking up space for one night when they can have a caravan for a week or weekend.
    I would gladly use campsites regularly if they offered the basics that we find on an aire or stellplatz in Germany and charged a realistic price.

Norman

• Like Like x 11
  13. buttons

buttons Funster

Are you suggesting that many who park off piste are doing it because purchasing their motorhome has left them with a financial black hole. Or am I mistaken.:Smile:

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

No, we've already had those last week.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snowbird

Not at all Buttons, but this needs thinking about. “Never spend your money before you have it.”

• Like Like x 2
  16. buttons

buttons Funster

We can do anything snowbird but not everything. Enjoy your day, make sure and take your umbrella to the beach.:sin::rain::BigGrin:

17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'd be interesting to know about those high risks we're taking when wild camping, that don't exist on an aire, site or our own home.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

We fancy going to Hay on Wye this weekend, never been before but feel the need for a bit of walking, pub with a log fire and some general mossying around.

So I've just spent 30 minutes on tinternt finding a site...that's open in march, accepts dogs etc, £20 for the night, £5 for our son another £5 for the dog. Are they having a laugh? So £30 to park for the night because funnily enough we use our own toilet, shower and kitchen sink and we don't need ehu. Why can't sites have a reduced fee for simply parking?
    £60 for 2 nights. With restrictions on when we arrive and leave.

Will we be 'wild camping' you bet...

Why? Because it's flexible, if we don't like Hay we can move on, I thought the beauty of motor homing was the freedom?

• Like Like x 17
  19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think he is talking about wild camping in Wales...

• Like Like x 3
  20. maz

maz Funster

I think that just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean others shouldn't. :Smile:

I wild camp from time to time (if it suits me to do so) and leave no trace of my overnight occupation. I choose my spots carefully and have never felt in any danger.

Each to their own. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3