LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
In my seemingly never-ending confusion about which style of van to go for (coachbuilt vs PVC), I had a chat to a lad on the WildAx stand yesterday at Newark.
I was actually looking at the Lunar H592 they had taken in part-ex as it ticked most of my boxes (length, price, fixed bed etc) but...

Because I said a PVC was too expensive ie out of my budget, he mentioned that WildAx can source a used van (maybe a couple of years old, with perhaps 30k on the clock) and put their conversion into it, for £9k less than new.

This puts it back in my price range :Blush:.

So the big question is - is it a good idea or a terrible idea?
For me it seems one gets the benefit of a "used" price but with a brand new unused interior - no-one has sat on the loo, or slept in the bed.

Or is it a terrible idea?

WildAx apparently rent too, so I can try before I buy
Tell me again - what are the disadvantages of a PVC?

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Or Terry could do the same for you for less (probably) he has recently put a thread out with his intentions & isn't too far from you (South Yorks). He is going to do ours in the not too distant future :thumb:

Upvote 0

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
As you sax Wildax do hire the show vans out and you get half the hire fee back if you buy. I hired a constellation from them in December, its a good way to try the van/layout. I liked the van.:Smile:

I think it's Viennese who did what you are saying and had a build on a second hand van. I think she had a few issues with the base vehicle but the conversion was fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Because I said a PVC was too expensive ie out of my budget, he mentioned that WildAx can source a used van (maybe a couple of years old, with perhaps 30k on the clock) and put their conversion into it, for £9k less than new.

We did exactly this with them in 2012 and it's been BRILLIANT!

They sourced a 58 reg Citroen Relay for us and put a brand new conversion in. 30+k on the clock - nothing for a diesel!

We are extremely happy with the van and the conversion! We've travelled to Spain both winters and lived in it all summer too, so it's had PLENTY of use! :Smile::Smile::Smile:

We'll be (hopefully) at Stratford show with it if you want to have a look :winky:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
There's only you who can decide the disadvantages, dependent on many different things.

What style of touring do you do, long trips?, short ones?

Where do you like to go, remote areas, narrow lanes, through little villages etc.

Parking on sites, CL's, villages, Stellplatze/Aires, town centre parking, parking at home, fuel consumption.

Layout is important, remember every MH is a compromise, when you start studying how you tour then you may decide a caravan is better.

We have just sold a large Hymer S820 and are going the PVC route, same as you are thinking, we like to nip off at weekends on CL's, remote areas, Scotland, Lake Distirct and Cornwall will be on the cards.

Less chance of damp in PVC too as all steel bodied.

Paul.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
A lot of the professionally converted VW campers are on second hand vans. We had one from Middlesex Motor Caravans & were very pleased with it. It was a brand new conversion on a 5 year old Transporter that had done 33,000 miles - if I was worried about anything it was how few miles it had done in that time.

It was bought as a trial foray into the campervan market & I didn't expect to keep it long - just to use it as a trial to see what we really wanted. It turned out to be exactly what we wanted & I kept it for 5 years & put another 50,000 miles on it.

I was going to have another one, but our requirements have changed, so had to go for something different to match them. MMC do an excellent job & I would recommend them to anyone looking for a small campervan.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Hi you pats your money and take a chance. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
seriously we brought a Wildax Constellation and are very pleased with it
there are fors and against with any van so really only you can decide
Good Luck. :RollEyes::cry::Sad:

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Yes I had a few issues with a used van from WildAx, mechanical, not habitation - the conversion was fine and the van seems fine now. It's one of those things, whatever second hand van you get you may have a problem. With WildAx at least you get a 3 year warranty on the habitation side and a year's warranty on the used hand van, although the standard warranty is limited to £35 an hour labour charges - which I didn't realise when I bought otherwise I would have upped the warranty as no Oxford garage charges less than £50 per hour! I will be at Peterborough if you want to talk more...

Catherine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I don't know what those issues were (and I hope they were resolved without too much hassle) but I presume that's the sort of 'risk' one takes by buying any "used" vehicle.
This just seems a good idea. Used vehicle but new conversion.

For example;
There's this '09 used Aurora Leisure at £34k from a dealership
Broken Link Removed
or I could buy a new conversion on a newer base vehicle for pretty much the same money direct from the converter, with the associated guarantees.

By the way - what's the difference between an Aurora and Aurora Leisure... I've looked at the online specs but can't see it.

[Thanks Catherine, I hope to be a "day-tripper" to P'Boro, so maybe we might have a chat. At the moment I can't even decide/choose between PVC & coachbuilt! All I know is "fixed bed", driveway length, and budget :RollEyes:]

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
As far as I can make out, the difference is that the Aurora has a double fixed bed which lifts up for storage, the Leisure has the option of converting into 2 single beds/ sofas for a rear lounge.

Hope this helps.

Catherine

Upvote 0

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I have a Autocruise Pace that I'm looking to sell when I get back to the UK.

It's on a '11 plate with "gas it" refillable bottles, solar panel, twin leisure batteries, twin lens reversing camera.

Around 18,000 miles on the clock.

I'll be looking for around 30k if you are interested.

:Cool:

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Lantoftlad,

We are doing something similar, used Relay with new conversion. Mainly because we were unable to find our preferred layout, without going to a very expensive sports van, and then there were big compromises in other directions.

Have a look at www.midcheshireconversions.co.uk you may find the site interesting, but maybe to far from South Lincs.

Good luck wwith your final choice.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I don't know what those issues were (and I hope they were resolved without too much hassle) but I presume that's the sort of 'risk' one takes by buying any "used" vehicle.
This just seems a good idea. Used vehicle but new conversion.

For example;
There's this '09 used Aurora Leisure at £34k from a dealership
Broken Link Removed
or I could buy a new conversion on a newer base vehicle for pretty much the same money direct from the converter, with the associated guarantees.

By the way - what's the difference between an Aurora and Aurora Leisure... I've looked at the online specs but can't see it.

[Thanks Catherine, I hope to be a "day-tripper" to P'Boro, so maybe we might have a chat. At the moment I can't even decide/choose between PVC & coachbuilt! All I know is "fixed bed", driveway length, and budget :RollEyes:]

having done my own conversion i would say that a fixed bed in a pvc means a compromise on lounge space we had a talbot rambler before and hated making the bed up each evening
it depends where and when your intending using the van when in warmer climes the lack of lounge isnt so important but when its cold and wet and your stuck in the van we some times wish we had more space to lounge around
but if you have a fold away bed you then need space to store the bedding
so with a limited space its a question of what you want to compromise on
even in a drive way length coach built the compromise is still relevant as generally your only gaining a few inches of width
http://www.dropbox.c...d pics?h=60a0fc

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I get the "lounging on a rainy day for a family of four" issue but my personal circumstances are that;
a) It's just me
b) I'm quite happy "lounging" on a bed, done it for the past thirty years in hotels
c) If the weather is that bad - I'll drive home :ROFLMAO:

ie the fixed bed, half dinette, swivel cab seats layout seems ideal for me...
[as an aside, I've never seen caravan nor motorhome lounge sofas look that comfy for serious "lounging", back rests inevitably too low]

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The first question has to be - how tall are you?

If you want a fixed bed that's over 6ft long, the choice of standard PVC conversions is going to be fairly limited (rules out a surprising number of coachbuilts too).

Converters who build on second hand vans are also more likely to be the ones who will agree to layout modifications to suit your personal needs, if any. There are exceptions both ways, but it's a reasonable generalisation.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back