Wild tour of the West Coast of Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Bobby22, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Alright peeps, i'm hoping to tour the west coast ....right to the top.....i'm looking to experience wild camping and i'm looking for definitive spots to camp on my tour from Kyle of Lochalsh up to Durness. Along top and back down probably through Lairg to Inverness.

No time constraints......going soon probably next week. I want to be able to wild camp if i come across a nice place and would love to know where to camp for the night....without having to search for pitches in an unknown place.

Places to wild camp/stopover. Would be very much appreciated.

2. keith

keith Funster

On this site you will find a map of Scotland places to stop.
    Lots up the West coast and beyond, and this is not all of them.
    HERE

• Like Like x 2
  3. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Checkout some of the threads in the Scotland section of UK Touring (i.e. where you've posted). Some ideas there, including the Wild Camping forum which we use(especially Keiths contribution above).

Generally, apart from private land, you can legally park almost anywhere but as always should have consideration for the locals. There is some question also of the legality of "No Overnight Parking" signs - checkout that thread too. The only difficulty tends to be obtaining water and getting rid of waste; we usually use a site every few days if we have problems.

We're headed that way next week too, probably Mull for a week first then on up to Skye and then wherever the mood takes us. Will keep an eye open for you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. lorger

lorger Funster

Bobby if your on Facebook there's a great wildcamping page there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

Sent you a pm with a couple of spots ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

On your way back down to Inverness please stop at Tarbat Discovery Centre, Portmahomack. See this thread.

KH

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

How would you know what is publicly owned .. ?

Most of the land in Scotland is Private.. and there are no 'rights' for motorhomes to park or camp on it..

The Land Reform Act Scotland ( commonly called the 'right to roam' act ) specifically excludes caravans and motorised vehicles.

Scotland has the most inequitable land ownership in the west. Why? http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/10/scotland-land-rights

[​IMG]

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Publicly owned land generally means lay-bys and, in that respect, the law is the same as the rest of the UK. See Here.
    The controversy over No Overnight signs a few years ago arose because Highland Council put them in place to deter what was seen as nuisance camping but, to save money, did not back them with a legal order. Those signs are supposed to have all been removed so, in general, if signs are in place now they have the backing of local legislation.
    There are very few publicly owned car parks where camping is legal, most parking orders ban it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Here is a'frienly' website to visit which gives you loads of information about the Tarbat Discovery Centre and the surrounding area.

Motorhomers are welcome to stay the night in our car park, we have room for a couple of MHs. Please pop into the centre whilst you are there. We are in a lovely spot on the outskirts of Portmahomack where there is a nice harbour, fantastic beach, local shop and pub and restaurant.

TDC is owned by the local community so you won't be troubled by angry estate owners! :D

KH

• Like Like x 3
  10. shane the nomad

shane the nomad Read Only Funster

Thank you info KH ,Very interesting,my friend is Gunn clan,so we will be adding your centre to our tour in April