SteveG

Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
lots of plans for the year including Scotland in April. We've booked a site on our way up to break the journey from our Lancashire home and plan to go on to Skye, never been before. Any ideas on possibilities of wild camping on there? Never done it before but want to give it a try

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Visited Skye September 2014. Unlike the rest of Scotland not many wild sites, found a couple up on the North east side one was a small fishing harbour and the other was a pull in near some old military site. Please forgive me I cannot remember the names of either. Did stop at a Brit stop Pub which was sheltered and very quiet. Camp sites were expensive so did not use any. I am afraid the best thing was seeing two white tailed eagles. Plenty of wild sites back on the mainland heading north.

Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Don,t miss it, there are cl,s that will let you empty your waste and use the showers for a small fee if you want
We loved it!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Also visited September 14, did not have a great deal of luck regards wild camping on Skye; Mull and the Mainland were much better in that regard. We did enjoy staying at http://www.kinloch-campsite.co.uk/ on Skye though, great setting, shops and a castle.

To be honest we found Skye a bit disappointing compared to Mull, but I think other than Kinloch we just did not find the right spots, probably needed a bit more planning, just like you doing now!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We went 2013 loved it, only stayed on a camp site once, wild camped rest of the time no problems, woke up one morning to see Golden Eagles overhead magic.

Upvote 0

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
There are places on the road to Elgol, and again on the main road on through Skye. The traffic is pretty quiet after 7 ish. You could probably park up at the top of Trotternish and also down by An Corran. In fact I felt spoilt for choices. Check out my blog which is almost up to date for the Skye bit www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Neist Point lighthouse is a nice place to stopover (roadside just before the carpark)

There is a nice little parking area on the East side of the road (old disused section of road) about 10 miles North of Portree along the A855 coast road

Another good place to stop is on some rough ground near the pier at Staffin jetty

The car park at the top of the Quirang is nice in fair weather.

There are loads of places to wild camp.......... 'seek and ye shall find' :):)

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
As chockswahay said. Also a very large free carpark in Portree ,we stayed one night in October , five other motorhomes there very quite near the town nice pubs good fish and chips along side the harbour.
Gets busy about 9am folk off to work (poor sods ). As we left we saw a sign NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING .A large box van had been parked in front of it . However in April I am sure you would be ok.
Enjoy . Dotsontour

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back