beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
totally new to motor homing and looking forward to some exciting adventures. we plan on using her at least twice a month just for 1 night weekends and don't really want to be tied to going to campsites and have seen people mention "wild camping" now I know our new home is fully self sufficient and this way of doing it really interests me but the wife is a little hesitant. so apart from the obvious, large signs saying NO overnight camping what are the rules and regulations say around the new forest area. And suppose you have found somewhere for the night popped a bottle of Tesco finest red and someone tells you to move on, i am sure drinking and moving a 27ft motor home don't go together.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
The Practical Motorhome Magazine have a monthly article called Nightstop in it, which is usually pub car parks or approved stops. Usually the pubs charge a minimal amount or if you have a drink/meal it's free. Haven't tried it myself yet but it sounds ok and will give it a go at some stage. Wild camping is a lot easier in Scotland. Only thing I would be chary of is the security aspect, especially if you were in a particularly remote area...take a big stick!

I think there's a book that also has loads of places like country pubs, farm shops, etc. too... ;) :cool:

Steve :)

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@PhilandMena I have indeed had another look and can only say I replied in good faith (albeit somewhat "tongue in cheek) to your post as I understood it and even with "fresh eyes" I struggle to interpret it any other way :confused:

JJ posted - Cool motorhomers off-site park to avoid hoards of rowdy folk and all the rules and regulations of sites/aires/camping places.

You replied:-

"JJ has it nailed! It's a motorhome Oh Please!, you don't have to be in a campsite to enjoy the benefits of being in one. Too much snobbery, jealously and righteousness from members who refuse to think outside the box IMO."

Those are your exact words - no omissions, no additions, I merely highlighted in bold where you referred to snobbery, jealousy and righteousness for those of us who refuse to think outside the box
If I have misinterpreted the meaning behind your post then I genuinely do apologise :oops: :(

PS I am camped on the beach at La Garoffa near Almeria Spain at the moment and the internet is CRAP!!!! so if some of my posts appear to break off in mid sentence then that is the cause :cautious:
I'll give you that! But where did I state this was directed at campsite users . I said it was from members who refused to think outside the box. Time I think to let this die and move on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I'll give you that! But where did I state this was directed at campsite users . I said it was from members who refused to think outside the box. Time I think to let this die and move on.

Agreed :)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just corrected your post, CWH... ;)

Seeing you posting here Steve reminded me I had to tell you about a random conversation I had wit one of my clients. She knows we own a motorhome, and we always have a chat about where we have been etc.
Anyway, chatting the other day, out of the blue, she came out with this little gem, she asked me if I'd heard of this guide which tells you places you can stop for free. Now being that she is a motorhome muggle, I didn't want to give too much away, so I just asked "would it be Britstops?"
"That's the one" she replies! :D
Britstops is getting known even by people who don't own motorhomes! :D

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Seeing you posting here Steve reminded me I had to tell you about a random conversation I had wit one of my clients. She knows we own a motorhome, and we always have a chat about where we have been etc.
Anyway, chatting the other day, out of the blue, she came out with this little gem, she asked me if I'd heard of this guide which tells you places you can stop for free. Now being that she is a motorhome muggle, I didn't want to give too much away, so I just asked "would it be Britstops?"
"That's the one" she replies! :D
Britstops is getting known even by people who don't own motorhomes! :D

Nice story, thanks Daniel.

("motorhome muggle" - excellent, I'll be using that!)

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Would I be right in believing that with Britstops, overnight parking is free but you are expected to spend money on meals, beverages etc. or is this not the case ?

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Would I be right in believing that with Britstops, overnight parking is free but you are expected to spend money on meals, beverages etc. or is this not the case ?
yes and no
yes, overnight parking is free
no, you're not expected to spend money - and the hosts aren't allowed to expect you to, it's in the Ts & Cs - & I've never felt pressured to do so
however if they're a shop it's polite at least to look, and sometimes it's very convenient - eg a meal, a drink, stock up with fresh food, I even did all my Xmas shopping at a craft centre in 2015

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
been a bit busy.
asking this question seemed to have opened a whole can of worms.
Try asking about grey waste...
...or the merits of having & using a generator at rallies

:imoutahere:

Edit - oh you have :eek:

:D

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I haven't seen a SOG thread for a while? :cautious:

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Just came back from a nice little spot at the side of a reservoir, surprising how many nice little spots/car parks have no "No overnight sleeping/camping" signs or even a pay and display machine - wild campers best kept secrets :D2

3942535400_8741f63bfc_z.jpg
Downstream-of-Langsett-Reservoir.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I have to say the pictures of the reservoir look great. As a general rule I like CL's but am currently staying at the Camping and Caravan Club site at Canterbury - very quiet with 80% of the people in motorhomes. Well positioned to visit Canterbury which is useful with the unpredictable weather that we have and hard standings to make sure we don't get stuck (no marker posts either!!).

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Like the Canterbury site but have to say the P&R is definitely better value and the buses are more frequent!

Denise

Upvote 0

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
We're going to try a bit of wild camping later this year. West coast of Scotland, Skye etc. Think it'll be a case of mix n match with sites. Quite fond of the C&CC one at Dunnet Bay. All we need is the weather. Hmm!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back