Wild camping ???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ips, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Not sure were I am on this subject not having done it yet.....but..............

Do people go wild cos they like the tranquility and peace of being on there own or........................are they just to tight to pay 15-25 quid for a site. :BigGrin:

Can maybe see the point of a nice secluded and quiet place off the beaten track like around Hadrians wall or on a Devon beach or summat for 1 night, but I have seen vans parked on the roadside at Bowness etc. Surely if you can afford a MH you can afford a site.............or am I missing summat ????

Personally I wont rule out the odd wild camp if the place is right but I like being on a site were you can watch other folk make a mess of putting there awning up or campers been blown away in a gale etc (ps- yep done both of them and more) :BigGrin:

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

IMO people confuse wild camping with wild parking? There is nothing "wild" about parking up in city centre coach parks or the back streets of urban areas. :RollEyes: Those that wild park are probably only doing it to save money, there might be an element of that with wild camping, but I would pay to wild camp at some of the wild places that we have stayed over the years. :BigGrin:

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, i dont use sites because of the price,dont need what they offer ,sometimes have a problem with the mentality of some of the people on sites.once full of water n gas i can be free to go as i please for up to 2/3 weeks. never find getting water a problem or getting rid of waste. if the sun is shining can have loads of leccy as well. i say if you pay 15/20 quid a night may as well use a b/b or hotel.

4. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

I started off thinking I wasn't qualified to answer this as I do not have a motorhome yet..... but maybe that makes me the best person to answer it !!!

I recently came back from a holiday where we spent half the day looking for that nights B&B and the other half looking for a loo for the wife ( she was ill but its always a bit like that :Smile:) The idea of a motorhome has a strong appeal for us, always a loo handy, stop when you like and where you like ( within reason ) and it never occured to us that motorhomers would use caravan sites.... seems to defeat the object of a M/H somehow.

As for being tight..... yes, but what is the point of paying for a campsite ? do snails live inside ?

But thats just my way of thinking :Laughing:

5. ips

ips Read Only Funster

All very good points..... I agree with the "wild parking" think that was my point re-"if the place is right" ie. hadrians wall or suchlike. Agree also with the self sufficientcy of motorhomes, we dont need hook up or showers etc so could (and may do) a week without a site but I think it would depend on were you were, up in the wilds of Scotland is a different matter to a lay by in the Lakes. When we were in Bowness on Windermere every weekend every week there would be 2 or more MH parked on the roadside having there tea with hords of people walking past on the path, never really got the point. £20 + a night does get costly though so we have just had our first night on a CC certificated site at £10 per night. Was very enjoyable cos there was 3 other vans on, would not have been as good if we had been on our own. Incidentally Mrs ips has her own C&CC cerificated site at £5 per night, beggar all in way of ammenities just Toilet disposal and water tap, loverly quiet location but only 50yds from home so we dont use it ourselves :Rofl1:

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i treat it like a big game ,the less you pay the longer you can stay away. horses for courses .i used to do to lots of shows in uk now realise if i dont go i,m much better off for going away in winter. did use one site in maroc last winter only because it suited us. same in spain /portugal lots of nice places to park/stay. only place i find difficult is luxembourg . just use a site there. in france use the aires never been moved on even in my truck. germany is easy in fact every where is almost. cant remember the last time i used a uk site. long time ago.

7. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

the idea is to stay and stop when and where you feel like parking restrictions allowing ,not to conform to rules and regs as most campsites have and i wouldnt pay 15-25 pound a night 10 pound is enuf 2 nights at 25 pound = a full tank of lpg = 200 miles travel and most camp sites only offer what you have in the van so why bother

8. TDH

TDH Funster

What a great question! We would always prefer 'wild' camping because it ties in with the whole idea of the motorhome for us - things to do with choosing exactly where we want to be and when we want to be there. Our van is a logical step, given the privations of age and a bit of a need for comfort, from carrying our home on our back (ie wild camping with the tent).

I was having a look at a thread earlier which discussed the legalities of roadside parking. I suppose if I was en route somewhere I may think of it, but the whole point of the van for me is freedom.

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

How do I stand on this one, well I think my name says it all. we wildcamp and wild park, yes we have a motorhome but if we had to pay site fees we could not afford to stay away as much as we do. We enjoy being alone, without other peoples dogs barking or children screaming. We don't like booking as don't know when or even if we will get there. So we have complete freedom to go where and when we wish constrained only by parking limitations. It is I guess 60% being tight :Eeek::Eeek:and 40% pure choice. In 44 years of motorhoming we have never stayed on a pay campsite. The resultant saving pays for a lot of entry fees to castles, zoo, and other attractions.
    We have wildparked in laybys, industrial estates and in residential areas all without problems so far.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

10. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Hi IPS, I wouldlike to ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1/ Have you ever wildcamped?
    2/ have you ever lived long time in your MH?
    3/ Have you ever lived in your MH on the continent?
    4/ Do you normaly just use your MH for weekends and holidays?

Doug...

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Doug he states he has never wildcamped and has been motorhoming for one month.

let me ask you a question, do you read posts before replying to them??????????:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  12. jezport

jezport Funster

We wild camp for the peace and quiet. We sometimes wild park for the same reason, quite often it is more peaceful on a street than some sites. However we sometimes wild park if we are driving til late then on the road early next day as its not worth the hassle of checking in and out. Not to mention paying for facilities we don't use.

13. Douglas

Yes, I read the first post then reply to that, I don't read every post, also there was nothing in his first post about the above.

Doug...

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

:BigGrin:The OP started with

Good question and some good responses:BigGrin:

15. Douglas

Uups! missed that bit.

Doug...

16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi doug .it wasnt what op said but in his profile bit been motorhoming 1 month.i make mistakes like that as well jump in feet first. never mind you meant well i,m sure.the questions you ask do change the ball play some what.

17. ips

ips Read Only Funster

1-No
    2-No
    3-No
    4-Yes

With respect, the fact that the answer to 3 of 4 of the above is the reason I ask the question. I am in no way putting wild camping down. Just seriously wondered the reasons for it. I have wild camped in the past, then had caravans for 10yrs or so then had a boat which we wild camped often, as in stayed at anchor rather than in marinas. Planning on going wild for at least a few nights in sept when we do a week Northumberland and east york coast.
    May even go wild for a night in two weeks when were off to north Lakes, just to try it. West yorkshire this weekend, North yorkshire next weekend.
    Regards - Ian

18. Douglas

Wild camping in the UK is a totaly different thing than on the continent, if you get the chance go over to France and use some of the free camping aires, I'm not saying that that would be wild camping but just a taste of what the continent has to offer.

Doug...

19. ips

ips Read Only Funster

I am sorry but with the greatest respect I cant imagine the fun in sleeping all night at the back of some industrial estate, or a residential area.

I think that the earlier explanation of Wild camping / parking has confirmed the situation to me. And having read the replys with great interest I am all in favour, and see the point in Wild camping and will try it in two weeks but as for wild parking, nope not for me.
    Regards - Ian

20. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Would love to tour France particularily S of F however my Business will not allow me more than a weeks hols at any one time so mainly weekends for us at the moment. In fact I havent had a weeks holiday for nearly 2yrs and havent had a 2wk holiday for 28yrs..........Not that I am looking for sympathy you understand....:BigGrin: