Wild Camping

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by trevtherev, Jul 18, 2015.

1. trevtherev

trevtherev Read Only Funster

wondered what experiance members have had with the Britstops book or Wildcamping membership have had. It must be useful to have knowledge of places to stop overnight when touring. Thanks for any replies. Trev

2. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Just joined Britstops so will be finding out

3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Britstops.. excellent.. (y)

Wildcamping.. only in remote places in Scotland that I find myself and won't share.. otherwise they become overrun and spoiled.

IMO .. the WC Forum isn't worth the twenty quid subs each year... for a POI list of places others use.. no thanks

each to their own ..

5. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We have used quite a few Britstops locations and so far they have all been ideal for us. As CWH says, have a look on the Britstops group pages and you will find a growing number of reviews.

Paul

6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

BritStops for us :)

Only had one poor experience and Steve sorted that out. All other stops have been great and we have saved our membership many times over.

7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Since We starting using "Brit Stops" we no longer "wild camp" worth every penny. Feel safer in a pub / farm shop car park ( sometimes locked over night ) some with security lights on all night etc etc and some places state "you can stay for another night if you like" We don't eat in any of the places we stay, but we do have a drink or two in return for the security. Recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  8. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Use both. Equally keen on both.

9. jonegood

jonegood Funster

We use both.

Wildcamping forum is good but you do have to check the dates on the postings because situation changes. for example Barmouth has put up new 'no overnight motorhome/caravan parking signs everywhere.

We like britstops as it has a nice mix of places and some have been very good. dont like all the updates so that you end up carrying a book and a big file of paper. Would be much better on line IMHO

Jon

10. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

A friend has the wildcamping pois. I have been to a few of the wildcamping stops and they were rubbish. Only enough room to fit a small campervan in.

Theres some wildcamping places to look ar here on Fun.

11. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Irnbru.
    I agree cramped rubbish. Don't use them....please

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  12. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

We use both, I do think like anything you'll have your good and bad but with wild camping up here in Scotland you can just find your own quite spots and pull up for the night ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. zac

zac Funster Life Member

We joined wildcamping last year and have used them loads of time, i always check to see what the places are like before i arrive using streetview. they have certainly helped us out. I also just joined Britstops this year and used them for the first time this weekend in the New Forest. Stopped at a local pub, the owners were very accommodating and friendly. Good access to walks and wildlife, would definitely use again.

We will probably use Britstops over wildcamping as this suits us better, the pain is indeed the updates they send out which are on pdf format, this can be a pain as you need to update the book with the ones that go and then take the pdfs for the new ones. This would be so much better if they put this securely online.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We have been BritStopping for a couple of years now, worth every penny. We've found some real gems to stop at :D

15. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Agree with Jim that the wildcamping isn't worth the subs! Joined for a year but only tried a couple of places, neither of which were any good to us as too small, certainly only big enough for a small campervan.

Also used Britstops for a year but had 2 bad experiences so stopped using. Having said that we'll have another go with it next year once Joe retires and we're away from the Kent area which we're currently limited to for weekends and there aren't many entries for Kent.

Denise

16. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Care to share the numbers from the book :)

17. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I certainly will, but I'll do it later, I don't have the book to hand at present :D

18. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Excellent thanks, i only have 1 to share which is 106 in the new forest, nothing special but quiet and access to all the walks/cycle tracks just from the back of the pub. We decided to have a meal in the evening (not required as part of the stay of course). Food was pretty good, seemed very popular but then it was a nice sunny weekend. To be honest it doesnt look much from the outside but it was all we needed and we would use again. I will take the bikes with us next time as the walking for 3 hours nearly killed me :)

19. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

..... but so much of the time when we're out in the wilds we can't get 'on-line' so for me the book's essential.

20. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I've recently paid the subs to get the wildcamping poi and headed off for one of our favourite parts of the country with a few of them earmarked for a look.. we were very dissapointed. One was a truck stop we could have found on our own, the other was a layby which again, we would have found from Google maps. In searching for these I found at least six that on Google earth had no overnight parking signs up..