Wild Camping, What, Where And How?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Buzzy-Beans, May 23, 2015.

1. Buzzy-Beans

Buzzy-Beans Read Only Funster

As a totally straight person with the best SWMBO on planet earth I hate the term 'Wild Camping', but hey ho if that is what it is called then hey ho!
    I used to own my own caravan sites in France, both of which I built and both of which were regarded as being the most popular and busiest of their type over there (according to the authorities), but now I am back in the UK and in the process of building my own panel van conversion I am starting to look at where to go when 'Millie' is finished.
    Not that I am antisocial but I hate large sites and generally speaking any site where I can see another caravan or motorhome is too crowded for me and as for going on rallies........ blah-humbug!
    So for me, the thought of just parking up anywhere I carefully and considerately believe will not upset others is a prospect I am rather looking forward to.

But as I haven't done any of this yet, I would love to hear any hints and tips from those who have a lot of experience at this game.

2. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Hello @Buzzy-Beans
    ... also known as "stealth camping" but I think that's worse, it sounds as though you know you're doing something somewhat illegal and probably wearing a mask! :mask:
    But wild camping is also a specific term in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code for TENTS not m/h's so there can be some confusion.
    There are some dedicated wild campers on here and I'm also looking forward to seeing some good advice.
    Good fortune with Millie and happy travels :)

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

As a generalisation, and therefore not wholly true, wild camping is frowned upon in the UK. There are places like Scotland where it is fairly widely practised but anywhere in England you risk getting woken up and moved on.

There is also the problem of the lack of places to acceptably empty waste, particularly black waste. You will also want large water and waste tanks - something our PVC lacks although building your own you would have the chance to address this, space permitting.

This is not to say there aren't car parks and out of the way places you can hole up for a few days, but they are not common and often not advertised as those that use them want to keep them for themselves.

I would forget it for the UK and go to say France and use the aires, many of which are free or almost.

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Like Like x 3
  5. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Have a look at
    Park4night
    Camper contact
    And a general search can give you a start, I expect you'll find a couple of your own in your travels!

6. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Good article ans some useful comments.

One thing I now advocate is not publicising spots, in this I am being a little hypocritical as I started out using websites to find spots, but I have now realised that such publicity causes overuse and potential friction with locals.

Only other thing I would add is street view on Google is a good way to check out some spots before you go, but the best one, so far, was found en-route.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

We were never comfortable with the notion of Wild Camping but we wanted to visit Shetland a few years ago where there are just a handful of very small sites. I enquired about wilding it with the local tourist office and was quite surprised to receive a very positive response.

We have since visited Shetland a second time, Orkney, the western isles and the west coast mainland. Almost exclusively wilding it. There is nothing that can beat finding a 'secret' cove or a clifftop with stunning views or maybe a lochside where if your lucky you may have deer meander down right up to your van.

We always follow the code and leave any spot we have enjoyed tidier than we found it (if necessary).

It doesn't appeal to everyone, which is just as well. Many will say it's about saving a bob or two. The issue of water and waste can be dealt with quite easily and with a little planning and forethought.

Just thinking about it makes me want to head off to Scotland!

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

• Like Like x 1
  9. JJ

JJ Funster

For successful "Off Site" motorhoming I always avoid stopping anywhere I can be seen by house dwellers...

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 6
  10. Eve

Eve Read Only Funster

There,s nothing wrong with wild camping as long as you don,t offend anyone:coolest::devil:. In UK you pay your road Tax ,plus lots of places now provide a place to park in there cities,usually park and Ride and it's great if you want to visit something special.

I tend to keep my nice spots to myself ,as it does not take long for them to be put on the net,next time you go,everyone is there.:wasntme:

If you are doing your own van,paint it green so it blends in well,you need binoculars ,don,t ever hang washing out,and keep things outside to the minimum , most sites will let you empty toilet waste,if you use chemicals do not empty except at a chemical point.
    Buy the air de services book for France,Spain Portugal,there are many more Italy Sweden Denmark,Vacarious books sell them.
    Use airs were appropriate ,respect other countries rules and you cannot go wrong.
    Enjoy your travels .Eve:party2::imoutahere::wine:

• Like Like x 3
  11. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

There are some great spots and they do need protecting but that's a shame in some respects.

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The Americans call it "boon docking"

Sounds total nonsense and worse than anything we call it.

My interpretation is exactly that.
    ....wild camping.
    Not hidden away behind a derelict factory or in a layby.
    That's just tightwad free camping

• Like Like x 4
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Curiosity has got the better of me...

What has your sexual orientation got to do with wild camping ?

• Like Like x 2
  14. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Have wild camped in Wales but most impressed with west Scotland & of course, France

15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The word boondock comes from the word bundok, used in some parts of the Philippines for a remote rural area. The word was brought back to the USA by American service personnel.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ginge3685

Ginge3685 Funster

Last year we did 6 weeks in Scotland and only used 3 campsites, we did have the benefit of the "Wild Camping" app on my Garmin Nuvi.
    This will give you legal places to pitch up, and also water points.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

We never use camp sites unless we need a washing machine. There is no need in the whole of France, although we sometime used camperplaats in Germany.
    Having the free Camper Contact on your satnav is all you need. - http://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads
    It's harder in the UK but you soon build up a library of spots if you keep your eye out. I actually enjoy the challenge of finding water in obscure places.
    We travel 3 or 4 hours every day (also to re-charge the battery's) so camp sites hold no attraction to us. We love travelling and seeing what the new day brings.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Sometimes you can find places that are like Aires.. be aware these are overnight parking places no wildness involved. You have to pay but they are quite cheap. Sometimes you can find lovely places to sleep off the beaten track where you wake up to peace and quiet and the countryside. Sometimes you end up in a layby.. it's an adventure.

19. Buzzy-Beans

Buzzy-Beans Read Only Funster

Thanks one and all, still some time away for me as I still have a veritable building mountain although today I did finish installing all the rooflights, windows and vents. Next week it is the total swab down before spray foam insulation and then the build proper starts!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Have you looked the wild camping section here on Fun? Lots of good places mentioned.

• Like Like x 1