Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Hi one and all!

I've just been thinking.......if I was in the outer Hebredis say, and I didnt want to travel round carrying a tank full of water, how would I fill up a container with water? Do garages have taps???

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Most garages have a forecourt tap and don't mind you filling if you are also buying fuel..

Other places..

* public toilets
* car parks
* quayside / harbour
* grave yards / cemeteries / church yards
* camp sites
* mountain streams/rivers.. but only use for washing, not drinking (unless boiled), it may be polluted with animal and or human faeces.

A well worth accessory is a Nature Pure water filter .. then you could safely use water from just about any source .. even canal water ..

If a water source is uncertain better to travel full

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you could always buy that bottled stuff from many shops.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
strange saying it rains in scotland :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

every time i have been up there the sun has been shining.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well if your going to the Outer Hebrides you will get water no problem we spent 10 days touring them 3 years ago when you come off ferry go to your nearest tourist office and they will give you a wee list of toilet emptying and water taps you can also find showers on some quay sides for a fee of 50p or £1 token from tourist board.

Assuming your going there and the question wasnt just a general one if you need any info just ask or search on here i posted about our trip.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Well if your going to the Outer Hebrides you will get water no problem we spent 10 days touring them 3 years ago when you come off ferry go to your nearest tourist office and they will give you a wee list of toilet emptying and water taps you can also find showers on some quay sides for a fee of 50p or £1 token from tourist board.

Assuming your going there and the question wasnt just a general one if you need any info just ask or search on here i posted about our trip.

Hello Gerry

Can you point me to your Hebrides adventures please and in just a few words how would you describe the trip?

The family that delivered our burning wood here in France have a son who had to do a 6 month agricultural work experience abroad, his college sent him to the Hebrides.
He is in his early twenties and almost became emotional over the kindness and affection the locals showed him, it will live with him forever.

Until that point we had never considered visiting, but now...

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hello Gerry

Can you point me to your Hebrides adventures please and in just a few words how would you describe the trip?

The family that delivered our burning wood here in France have a son who had to do a 6 month agricultural work experience abroad, his college sent him to the Hebrides.
He is in his early twenties and almost became emotional over the kindness and affection the locals showed him, it will live with him forever.

Until that point we had never considered visiting, but now...

Hi Veevee
Try this link to a thread i posted on.
Broken Link Removed

Well we have had our MH nearly 4 years now we have been to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Germany and Holland and various locations through out the UK and to date our best trip was the Outer Hebrides. Its hard to explain it but it was just so relaxing and so good everyone was so nice and laid back and the beaches i have yet to see any beach better than the one we stayed on on Harris (ok we had to wear hat and scarf :ROFLMAO:)
We are planning on going back with in the next 2 or 3 years as we enjoyed it so much. One thing i would say if your going is use the local shops, cafe's and pubs even if its just for a cuppa as this is the best way to meet the local and support them. We went into a wee craft shop cafe on Harris and the lady knew everywhere we had been on the island. We also met another mh couple and they just drove from bottom to top without using local shops or spending any money.

If you need more info or would like some pics please just ask.

Gerry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Here it is here to save you looking

We spent 2 weeks in the outer hebrides in easter 2009 my wife and daughter did a wee diary hope it helps and doesnt bore you.

3rd April

Travelling from Dumfries to Loch Lomond to stay overnight, wild camping outside Ardlui. Great spot. We have an Island Hopper 23.

4th April
My 40th Birthday moving onto Oban to catch Ferry to Barra. Did some shopping at Tesco and they now have spaces for motorhomes, you could probably stay overnight before catching a ferry.

Got off the ferry in Barra and drove to the airport and stayed overnight. The wind must have been about 30 miles per hour. Great spot to watch the plane landing on the beach. Lovely sandy beach for playing and walking the dog, loads of shells for the kids to collect.

Castlebay two hotels, grocery shop, and post office. The toffee shop is great, they also do jewellery and their own sticky toffee pudding, which they are happy to post home for your. Also have webpage.

5th April
We drove round to Vatersay which is attached to Barra by a small causeway. Stayed at the Village hall with 3 other campers. Toilets and water available. Honesty box for leaving fee for staying overnight. The beach was in a small bay with fantastic tropical blue waters and golden sand. As per photo. Also saw the wild dolphins jumping between two fishing boats, great to watch.

If interested in golfing, they have a very small golf course with a difference, all greens are fenced off so the sheep can’t get at them.

6th April
Drove back round to Airport and had lunch at the café, good selection of food and you can watch the plane landing and taking off.

Catching ferry from The Sound of Barra – Eriskay. Very short crossing and you can stay seated in your vehicle. Eriskay has wild ponies. Drove further on to South Uist and stayed at picnic area and beach. Beach was lovely but not really for making sand castles, much more for walking and exploring. Lots of seaweed and greyish sand. Loads of space for campers.

7th April
Stopped in Lochboisdale next to Tourist Information and had a hot shower and toilets. Shower costs £1.00. Not the greatest pressure but warm and clean. The Tourist Information was very friendly and helpful. Not much in the town. Spoke to a fisherman who gave us the weather forecast for the next few days, he was spot on. He travels two miles on his boat and catches prawns.

Did some shopping in the Co-op in Benbecula. Had a meal in Temple View, North Uist which is owned by a couple, but not Islanders. Food was good and very informative about the Island.

Clachan Post Office and Shop sold gas bottles.

Took the Causeway to Berneray and watched the seals at Seal Point. You can see around 30 seals at certain times of the year. We saw around 10. free wifi

Drove by Hostel and thatched cottages, we parked on the grassy area next to another motorhome, next to the beach. Beach again was a walking and exploring beach with loads of seaweed. Great place to park, very flat.

8th April
Catching ferry to Leverburgh but when arrived the ferry was not running due to tidal problems. The next ferry was also cancelled and the 5.40 ferry was fully booked and taking a waiting list. Only way off the Island was to book Lochmaddy to Harris via Skye. Which we did! The showers on the ferry had great pressure and lovely and warm, just need to check with manager.

Harris
Went into Tourist Information and got loads of information, the two ladies were extremely helpful and even charged our laptop for us. Free internet hotspot in carpark.

Stopped in the mcGillvary Centre which is suitable for staying overnight as they have toilets available.

Stayed overnight at Luskentyre, lovely beach and toilets available with no lights in evening so remember your torch. Little walk to beach, well worth the walk, beach stretches for miles, of golden sand with lovely surfing waves. Lovely views of surrounding mountains.

9th April
Woke up to really heavy rain and high winds, moved on late morning. Had light lunch at Skoon Art Café, very reasonably prices, food was good, Sophie especially liked the triple chocolate brownie served with two scoops of Scottish icecream. When ordering scones for one you will received two. So you may like to share. Large pot of tea with extra pot of hot water. Well worth the drive off the main road. Art work was fantastic, but very pricey. Bought some small card prints.

Visited one of the Croft Tweed Shops, but remember to ask if you would like to see them weaving. We didn’t and arrived at the main shop in Tarbet to find out that the shop we had visited early would have shown us the weaving.

Tarbet is a lovely little town, with two grocery shops and post office. Chip Shop also.

Went to Cnip (Kneep) to say at Campsite to find out campsite was only a field with public toilets, but great beach. Didn’t stay due to campsite being uneven. (Other motorhomes and tents had taken up all flat places.

Staying at pinic area with toilet, short walk to beach, Ardroil. 2 miles by Uig Shop and Petrol station.

10th April
Stopped at Uig shop for shopping and noticed they also sell gas bottles. Drove most of the day arriving at Stornoway Campsite. Extremely clean showers and toilets but shower cublicles bit small.

Walked to golf course, cost £25 per game. Limited space on Saturday due to competition and no playing on a Sunday.

Walked further up hill to castle, bit disappointed and not open to walk around, not much information really. Walked back down through grounds and into town. Town is small but has everthing required. Tourist Information in town centre. Large Co-op at edge of town. Early night with TV signal.

11th April
Drove to Coll Pottery, but was shut, so drove further on to Traigh Mhor Beach, Toilets available. Beach stretched for miles of golden sand, once again a bit windy. Possible to stay overnight. Toby wouldn’t come back so left him in carpark, drove off and he chased us.

Back to Stornoway and out to Lighthouse at Point. Lovely views, but no real place to park.

Later on that night, got bus from bottom of lane (timetable at reception) to town. Had a meal at The Boat Shed in the Royal Hotel. Good variety on menu with children’s section. Remember and ask for the kids cocktail. Taxi home cost £4.85.

12th April
Sophie, Gerry and Toby went cycling into town, extremely quiet due to everyone being in church.

Lorraine cleaned the motorhome !!!!

Drove to Butt of Lewis via play park and beach. Sophie and Gerry played at park for ½ hr and Toby and Lorraine went for a walk along the path. We all went down the beach and once again a brilliant view with no wind and golden sand. Big cliffs where Sophie managed to create and echo. Rain started and all locals rang away.

Headed to Lighthouse, parked up and had a cuppa and biccie waiting for the rain to stop. Once rain stopped, had a good walk around the cliff tops. Stunning views across to the mainland.

Not as many places to stop for wild camping so stopped at campsite E….. but moved on due to lack of facilities. Toilets and showering facilities extremely old and electric didn’t work.

Drove to Norse Mill and Kiln parked next to sea loch, with lovely sunset. Still no wind. Fish jumping in loch. Golden eagle flying overhead.

13th April
headed back to Harris stopped at small pottery think it was blue pig they where very nice and did art lessons and sold loads of nik naks. Headed to Harris golf club for a game of golf then stayed the night at luskintyre before catching ferry from Harris.

Heading for Skye.

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Purification

I used to run survival courses and the main problems with water are things like giardiasis, which can be overcome with filtration, but you do have to be careful as a lot of filters contain iodine. This means that if you are female and taking Thyroxine you can't drink water which has passed through this type of filter. If you are really struck and have to use dirty water you can us something called a Millbanks bag, which is basically a simple filtration sytem consisting of a canvas bag. You might find these in a half way decent army surplus store, or online.

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp

Actually, that was JUST what I was thinking!! Thanks so much for your help!

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp

Actually, that was JUST what I was thinking!! Thanks so much for your help!

The outer Hebrides sounds just the most wonderful adventure!! All I need now is the right fella to come with me!!

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Hebrides

You'll love it up there. We were on Mull a few years back and the beaches are white sand, almost like tropical beaches, although the midges are irritating, so I suggest you stock up on Jungle Formula before you head north.

We did hit one traffic jam, a flock of canada geese walking across the road. Look out for the flowers in the phone box at Calgary, you don't see that very often and on the way up pay a visit to the Green Welly Shop, at Crianlarich.

I'm hoping to get up that way later in the year if my retirement plans work out, as I loved the peace and quiet.
Cheers, John

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
You'll love it up there. We were on Mull a few years back and the beaches are white sand, almost like tropical beaches, although the midges are irritating, so I suggest you stock up on Jungle Formula before you head north.

We did hit one traffic jam, a flock of canada geese walking across the road. Look out for the flowers in the phone box at Calgary, you don't see that very often and on the way up pay a visit to the Green Welly Shop, at Crianlarich.

I'm hoping to get up that way later in the year if my retirement plans work out, as I loved the peace and quiet.
Cheers, John

Sounds like a good plan you got there! How lovely!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Thanks Gerry, that description you gave is one we will complete one day, I was thinking of making it the alternative to France while the Olympics are on, but then thought of the time of year - midge season - so it will have to wait till spring next year.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Hello,

Every time i have been to Scotland, which is a place i love to bits, i eat garlic. If you do not like the taste of garlic then garlic capsules work too.

The midges do not like the smell of garlic on your skin.

Saves on the cost of chemical based sprays and lotions

Spend as much time as possible there and enjoy every minute, it is a fantastic place full of fantastic people.

Cheyne

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hello,

Every time i have been to Scotland, which is a place i love to bits, i eat garlic. If you do not like the taste of garlic then garlic capsules work too.

The midges do not like the smell of garlic on your skin.

Saves on the cost of chemical based sprays and lotions

Spend as much time as possible there and enjoy every minute, it is a fantastic place full of fantastic people.

Cheyne
must point out midges are mainly attracted by the CO2 in your exhaled breath.

it is the female of the species which is vicious. She requires blood to help form her eggs and when she's alerted to our presence by smelling carbon dioxide in our breath she attacks - along with thousands of girlfriends!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back