Wild camping spots around the St Austel area ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Booked up at a site near St Austel late this month ready for our departure to Roscoff from Plymouth. But we could only get two nights so looking for somewhere to park up for just one night.

Doesn't have to be near St Austel really but the closer the better

Any recommendations please ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why st austell?
if you need a nights stop pm me use my front drive . i,m not far from st austell or the a30.
i take it you must be going to eden .

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
why st austell?
if you need a nights stop pm me use my front drive . i,m not far from st austell or the a30.
i take it you must be going to eden .

We are going to Roscoff.. We stopped at the River Valley site for a few days on our first ever camping expedition just a few weeks ago . Loved the site so thought it would be cool to stay for a day or three before going to the ferry at Plymouth. We did the Eden Project when down a few weeks back. Epic place but it was raining heavily so we may do it when we are on the return leg home.

Your offer is massively appreciated it really is and we may take you up on it. But are looking at our first ever "wild camp" :D

Thank you !!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
roche isnt far from st austell . no probs . plenty of room. even can do outside toilet and water if you need it . ideal for going to roche rock . google it its famous .
it can be wild in roche . surrounded by moors . and there has been shooting in one of the local pubs . doesnt get much wilder . ha ha .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nowhere near St Austell but this spot just off the A38 is often used by MHs overnighting. It is about 15 minutes from here to the ferry in Plymouth and puts you on the right side of the Tamar Bridge which you don't want to do if possible at rush hour. There is a pub, the Smithaleigh, a few hundred yards away. https://goo.gl/maps/i6ukT

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
My geografie is deadful. Is St Austell near Plymouth? I too am on the Roscoff crossing and was looking for somewhere to park up the night before.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as dbk says there are lots of biggish layby,s etc on the a38. plus a few ind estates many use for the odd night .
staustell is about 30 miles into cornwall . mind i,m in the middle of cornwall.
quite a few have had the odd night here . most are welcome sometimes my neighbour as space as well.
we dont live in a normal street we are all crazy round here .
old and young love to chat with the visiting campers .
its a street with vintage cars .m,bikes . custom cars ,vintage tractors . etc almost all have something .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My geografie is deadful. Is St Austell near Plymouth?
Yes, if you stand far enough back. :) But I wouldn't go there if I was looking for somewhere to park up before catching the ferry. Too far in the wrong direction, although it does have a good brewery.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Perhaps I have not explained well.

We stay on a site we have booked on on the Friday and Saturday night. We will leave that site early on the Sunday morning and drive 41 miles to Plymouth for the ferry.

Its the Thursday night previous to our site bookings we are looking at.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
One of the problems is folk tend not to publicise their favourite wild camping spots. One option would be just to turn into St Austell, or any reasonably large town and have a hunt around. If you can find an industrial estate you should have no problem finding somewhere to park up if you arrive say after five. Or just look for a wide road, I found this spot at the first attempt, it is in St Austell: https://goo.gl/maps/mMPfo Of course, anywhere by a road is likely to be noisy. Or find a pub with a big car park, by a pint and ask if you can stay overnight. You are very unlikely to be turned away.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
My geografie is deadful. Is St Austell near Plymouth? I too am on the Roscoff crossing and was looking for somewhere to park up the night before.

The co-ordinates for the layby mentioned previously are approximately:
50.382093, -3.992753

If you are catching the early morning ferry Brittany Ferries are happy for you to park up and spend the night in the 'lanes' at the ferry terminal. It is likely that there will be other motorhomes there and only a short walk to places to eat.

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back