Wild camping Portsmouth/Bognor

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wander, May 15, 2012.

1. wander

wander Read Only Funster

In about 7 days time we arrive in the UK on the Le Havre to Portsmouth ferry which docks around 9.30pm so by the time we get off it will be too late to reach the CC site at Bognor where we plan to stay for a few days. Anyone got any suggestions for a good secure and safe area for overnighting somewhere in the Portsmouth to Bognor Regis area.

2. wander

wander Read Only Funster

Really surprised!!

So has no one ever wild camped in Portsmouth or Bognor? Thought I would have got a few replies at least! :cry:

Where do all you wild camper go? :Eeek:

3. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Smile: Hi I am not sure but I did hear of someone staying at the dock's while waiting for a ferry I can see no reason for not staying there nice and safe when you get of the ferry I think some lorry drivers do yours Brian :Smile:

4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

There are two pull ins on the Emsworth By-pass where the truckers go each night fairly close to Chichester.

There is also the new aire that has been written about down on Hayling Island.

Round where I live in Port Solent several boat owners sleep over in the boat/car park next to their boats whilst they're working on them so it is common to see a camper there, plus of course there are security men walking about all through the night.

There's no shortage of places really..........Griff

• Like Like x 1
  5. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Head for Lee on Solent, plenty of parking on the front.

Further up towards Hillhead, there are a couple of car parking areas that might appeal.

Not in the Bognor direction but I have used them in the past - nice views of the Solent.

6. Frabn

Frabn Read Only Funster

portsmouth parking

We have often stayed overnight at the back of the car park where cars etc queue up for the ferry. At the back you dont get in the way of those queuing for a boat. Very safe as there are security cameras.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  7. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We will make a note of this for later on when we plan to come down to see family in and around Denmead/Portchester/Southsea before going across to France. We're not sure of exact dates, but had planned to stay at "Mr Camp's Camp" at Hayling Island:Laughing:
    We're a bit wary of the "wild camping" at the moment, so will see what me decide later with regards to distances to the Portsmouth ferry etc
    :thumb: It's a long time since we've been in that area:RollEyes:
    Margaret & Bill

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Im surprised nobody mentioned portsdown hill. Regularly see motorhomes up there with a view of the solent, plus in the daytime theres a superb burger van

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Why not use the late arrivals area at the site ?