Wild Camping on Friend's Drives? (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Bear in mind that with a Continental and in fact most small aero engines, the carb is mounted on a manifold below the engine.
Richard W.

So the fuel transfer was just co-incidence ? Does she recall any bad bumps at he time, to pull the joint apart ? I guess a huge drop in manifold vacuum would stop it dead. All for half an inch of rubber pipe.

That taildragger link just goes to confirm my views, the USA is the place to fly, Europe is not. Endless space, predictable weather and cheap fuel, it's not fair.

I once owned a Bolkov Junior, last proper powered plane I flew was a Cub. Then a bit of microlighting and finally gliding.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
would love to have a go in a glider ! ... maybe for my 40th ::bigsmile:

( I have never written the '40th' and 'my' together before :( feel ill now) :(

Promise me you'll do it. A winch launch is something you will never forget, but on a poor day the flight might be as little as 4 mins. An aero tow to 3000' will get you a 25 min flight. So do both. Ball park figure is £70/100 depending on the spec of the flight. A better deal is a one or two day course.

Be warned, a £5 glider flight in 1980 infected me for 25 years. Then UK weather depressed me out of the sport.

To find a club, look here, book direct with a club and don't fall for overpriced on-line offers from gift sales people.

http://www.gliding.co.uk/
http://www.gliding.co.uk/findaclub/ukmap.htm

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks Brian.. I do so hate flying but that wont stop me ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
thanks Brian.. I do so hate flying but that wont stop me ;)

It's not flying, it's a mind altering experience. Hanging there in almost total silence, looking round and probably seeing birds doing just the same.

Awesome.

ChampChump

Free Member
Sep 17, 2010
Hellfire Corner
Funster No
MH
Pass. in OH's
I'll vouch for everything Brian says. It's horribly addictive, but many people find gliding just takes up too much time, being labour intensive as it is. If you can commit to the time & teamwork, the rewards are huge, in many ways.

I never did fly a Junior, the nearest being a single seater Grob. Most of my fun was in a Mucha and the flying tea chest, the Swallow, or the 1-26 across the pond.

The Champ glides fairly well, providing one remembers that aeroplanes are not really performance gliders..:winky: Training kicked in anyway and apart from the gear collapsing, 'twere a text book field landing. Having highjacked this thread somewhat spectacularly, I might as well answer the other question which concerned warnings and bumps. Not a thing. The fuel transfer was a complete red herring and the sudden silence was unheralded by any indication on T's and Ps (just one of each on such a complex 1946 machine), or anything else at all. Most odd. The silence was fairly stunning too, so I broke it with one small word before getting on with things.

I'm eternally grateful to the sort of basic training a lot of people don't get nowadays.

Apologies for thread drift too. I'll get my coat.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm eternally grateful to the sort of basic training a lot of people don't get nowadays.

Apologies for thread drift too. I'll get my coat.

No spinning any more for the PPL ! I remember practice engine failures in a 150 being a horrendous event. PPLs should all solo a glider first. Like car drivers should ride a bike first.

You need not apologise for the drift but if you feel the need you can face to face, the original request is long gone. It's probably better to start a new one if any detailed information of Switzerland is needed. Or search on Switzerland.

Looks like you will hit a post limit soon but you are entitled to free membership on Richards account. Just ask the boss nicely.

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Give it a try John

Hi johng

would love to have a go in a glider ! ... maybe for my 40th
I can't offer a glider, well unless the engine stops, but you are welcome to come up in the Rans. It has a well established track record for getting people hooked on this addictive hobby.

I see you are on the Kent / Sussex border, so probably not too far away. Let me know if you'd like to give it a go.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi johng

I can't offer a glider, well unless the engine stops, but you are welcome to come up in the Rans. It has a well established track record for getting people hooked on this addictive hobby.

I see you are on the Kent / Sussex border, so probably not too far away. Let me know if you'd like to give it a go.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.
is this the one
Link Removed
sounds a great offer.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
but you are welcome to come up in the Rans

Rich, would love to :Eeek::Smile: yeah not too far away..

what an offer hey? !!

John (my 40th is still 4 years away ROFL, but I was 36 last week, does that count? :) )

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Aeroplanes various

Hi John,

I'm sure we can sort something out, although the weather in the immediate future looks dire:Eeek:

The Rans page link on Wildman's post shows the whole range. If you Google my aircraft registration (G-BUWK) there are various pictures on the Web.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you Google my aircraft registration (G-BUWK) there are various pictures on the Web.
Richard W.

And the accident report.

What is it with you two :RollEyes:

At least if he goes in a glider he *knows* there's no engine to stop. Well, OK, if he survives the first few minutes.

ChampChump

Free Member
Sep 17, 2010
Hellfire Corner
Funster No
MH
Pass. in OH's
And the accident report.

What is it with you two :RollEyes:

Well, it's more common in the microlight world of two stroke engines, but there are those who have, and those who are yet to have an engine failure. (And, with tailwheel aircraft, those who have and those who have yet to have groundlooped). To the uninitiated, all this sounds a lot more scary and dangerous than it is. The most interesting example I can think of to illustrate that becoming a glider happens to all is that of the Gimli Glider. Luckily the pilot of the 767 was an experienced glider pilot and could sideslip. That's another useful tool that's under-taught.

What is it with training :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Learning Experiences

And the accident report.
All good learning experiences:

1. Don't trust sight gauges, they may be simple but they can still lie.
  2. Taxi in strong winds with the controls correctly positioned.

By the way, who says gliders have it all their own way?
http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65938

At this rate John is going to keep well clear...

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I am outta here :ROFLMAO:

no, as I hate flying, this sounds like an opportunity too good to miss ::bigsmile:

ChampChump

Free Member
Sep 17, 2010
Hellfire Corner
Funster No
MH
Pass. in OH's
Contrary to everything suggested above, we do enjoy one of the most safety-oriented pursuits about.

But you knew that, didn't you? I look forward to seeing you in the Rans. Or Temporary Champ, if you'd prefer. You're too local to get out of it now......:roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
By the way, who says gliders have it all their own way?
Richard W.

Classic low slow turn onto finals. Last club I was at enforced a "no final turns under 300' " rule.

But then they were running out of gliders, instructors and members. 3 instructors killed in one head on.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Contrary to everything suggested above, we do enjoy one of the most safety-oriented pursuits about.

For years I used to say "I stand a better chance of getting killed riding to the airfield than flying".

Wrong.

The stats for UK gliding about 4 years ago said otherwise.

They think now so many are flying much higher performance gliders they get into trouble that much easier than the old slow wooden ships.

ChampChump

Free Member
Sep 17, 2010
Hellfire Corner
Funster No
MH
Pass. in OH's
They think now so many are flying much higher performance gliders they get into trouble that much easier than the old slow wooden ships.

I can believe that. Much the same in power - 'a Cub can only just kill you'.

Anyway, plans and logistics dictate we are off towards Switzerland tomorrow. I am using my final free post to tell the world. :Cool:

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
On our way

On an Aire de Service at Ligny-en-Barrois, should deliver the bits to Switzerland and collect our spares on Sunday.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Trip Report - Switzerland

Thanks again for the help and boost to confidence from Funsters on these forums, we are home again after a successful trip to Switzerland.

As indicated in a previous post, we did one night on an Aire. The other two nights were wild camping beside the hangars at the airfield in Switzerland. The people we were meeting are involved in a museum on the airfield and keep their Champ and a Beech Bonanza in the museum collection.

Once we'd got the struts changed, we had a tour of the local scenery in the Bonanza. Very pleasant, if rather choppy with the airflow over the Alps.

We had a pleasant meal by the lake with the people there and elected to stay the night and do the run home in one day. Monday saw us depart the airfield environs at 8am and arrive home in Deal at 11pm after a 520 mile run through Switzerland, Germany and France. For the whole trip the MH performed well and was thankfully comfortable to drive. We learned quite a bit en-route, including some of the following:

• Two people use water faster than one (not rocket surgery...)
  • Happiness is a full water tank and an empty cassette.
  • Half of the MH's we met on the road wave, less on motorways than A roads.
  • Many things, like motorhoming and flying, seem easier in France.
Here's to the next trip.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
welcome back Richard and champchump ::bigsmile:

i did a similar journey a few weeks ago! Germany Holland Belgium France, then Kent, in one hit on the bike.. about 500 miles I think.. easy work ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Hi John,

I found I was playing with the seat a bit more towards the end of the trip. More comfortable than the bike (BMW R80RT).

I'm keeping an eye on the weather, not sure what your availability is for flying? We'll need reasonable visibility / cloud base and wind preferably less than 20 mph.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
  • Two people use water faster than one (not rocket surgery...)

• Happiness is a full water tank and an empty cassette.
  • Half of the MH's we met on the road wave, less on motorways than A roads.
  • Many things, like motorhoming and flying, seem easier in France.
Here's to the next trip.
Richard W.

MHs are all about managing your resources effectively, some folk don't get this message quickly.

I see trouble ahead :Smile:

Well when we got a MH I had thought of parking it at various gliding clubs for a week at a time. Indeed one of it's stops was Aboyne, tucked up by the hangar but poor flying due to weather. Because of weather and 'er indoors not overjoyed at parking by hangars, the MH took over and now no gliding and a bike in the garage doing few miles. You have been warned.

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
MH and uses thereof.

Hi Brian,

The original rationale for getting the MH was to act as a mobile base for the summer's flying in France. The alternative being camping (tent style) under the wings or using airfields with near by hotel accommodation. We have tended to favor the latter, using Nogaro in the Gers region quite a few times.

Nic is the very dedicated flyer, who will use any flyable day at all costs. I may use the MH for more touring and visits to friends while Nic is working (week on / week off).

After I'd got my AFI(M) rating it was suggested that rather than buying a training microlight, I should buy a MH and operated from existing clubs. I've never used the AFI(M) rating in anger, tending to do 'Group A' stuff on my Class Rating Instructor ticket.

If we are forced out of the air eventually by cost of fuel and bureaucracy etc, one plan is to get a glider & trailer etc, and head south for the winter to the Pyrenees or Spain. Relying on Nic's glider skills. I only glide when the engine stops...

MHs are all about managing your resources effectively, some folk don't get this message quickly.
It struck me that MH's are quite 'green', requiring relatively little energy to heat. They also teach valuable lessons about resources, both input and output. It's an interesting part of the learning curve for me, despite years of involvement with yachts and later ships.

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It struck me that MH's are quite 'green',
Richard W.

Very green in fact. Little heat, electricity, water, waste and little or no infrastructure. The only downside being the engine.

>> If we are forced out of the air eventually by cost of fuel and bureaucracy etc

This EU is a total nightmare across the board. Our industry is a nightmare of problems that only the biggest companies can throw enough bodies at to fully comply, the rest have the odd jobsworth who muddles through just being a pain in the bum to everyone.

Now it's aviation's turn is it - I've seen the transponder problem creep into gliding together with harmonisation just to make a simple job as complex as possible. Make the most of it while you can.

I don't think I've ever seen a glider towed by a MH, but why not.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
availability is for flying?

hi Richard.. well I am alleged to work Mon to Fri / 9-5 :thumb: but I could swing an afternoon off... weather seems to be picking up nicely this week :Eeek: although some big lows about, I imagine keeping the breezes up..

Was thinking of going to Duxford on Sunday in fact, airshow there :)

John

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Watching the weather

Hi John,

As you say, the weather looks to be improving as the week goes by. Beyond Sunday it may get a bit windy down this corner of the country, but other than that it all looks OK.

Tomorrow I'm flying as 'talking balast' with a friend. He's a retired BA 747 skipper who is working on his gyroplane instructor rating. On Sunday there are a couple of fly-ins, one at Popham, the other at Abbeville in France. I'll look at the weather on the day to decide which way I go. Other than those things, I've got no flying commitments, so can probably fit around what ever works for you.

I'm not sure where you are actually located, but I operate from a farm strip near Heathfield, so there or Headcorn are options for me.

If you want to give me a call at some stage to finalise things or just to establish comms, my number is: 01435 882 881

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

OP
OP
Richard W

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Transponders and other usless stuff.

Hi Brian,

I don't know if you heard about the muck-up in Holland last year?

The Dutch authorities insisted that everyone in their airspace had to have a Mode S transponder. Then one sunny Sunday afternoon they lost all the inbound airliner traffic to Schiphol in the mass of GA 7000 VFR Mode S returns. You now have to have a Mode S transponder, but it must be switched off!

Happy Travels,
Richard W.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You now have to have a Mode S transponder, but it must be switched off!
Richard W.

You couldn't make it up, could you.

I will be forced aloft soon. Son in law just bought himself an Escapade. Though I have to say I found his Luscombe pretty unsatisfying, there's no challenge with those motorised thingies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back