Wild Camping in the New Forest (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
People need to remember that we as Brits are citizens with rights, not peasants with privileges.
Yet like you say most folk tend to think like sheep and enjoy being led about like a slave. Is there any wonder all these 'statutes and regulations' have been fired at us?

People also need to remember that we as Brits are citizens with responsibilities - to each other and to the world we occupy.

Statutes are not fired at us, they result from the decisions of the parliaments which we elect (for good or ill). Too many people act like sheep by voting without thinking, but that is a separate matter.

Graham

FisherFun

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Tents v's MHs

Just want to point out that tents are also NOT allowed to wildcamp in the New Forest (unless on a special permit usually supplied to D of E groups) so the tangent earlier of tents v's MHs doesn't apply to the New Forest (or most of the Brecon Beacons).

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i don't have a problem with law passed by parliament even if i don't support it. that's democracy.

i do object to regulation/byelaw whether made by ministries or quangos even if i support it. the only place law should be introduced or amended is parliament.

which came first the behaviour or the act/regulation/byelaw?

i think that if regulations/byelaws were debated in parliament then a lot of them would not have been implemented.

eg the restrictions on cycling in the new forest. the forestry commission (or whatever they are calling themselves today) do far more damage to the forest with their vehicles ( not including logging ) than cyclists.

we all have to choose which 'laws' we obey & take the consequences if caught. so i'll continue to cycle where i think it's appropriate in the new forest and no doubt others will continue to overnight there. i haven't heard of any prosecutions for either 'offence'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I'm glad that I live in France and don't have this problem plenty of aire d service places.
Anyway why should you be stopped from parking in a national park after all if you are a tax payer then you are contributing to the upkeep of said park(s)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i don't have a problem with law passed by parliament even if i don't support it. that's democracy.

i do object to regulation/byelaw whether made by ministries or quangos even if i support it. the only place law should be introduced or amended is parliament.

which came first the behaviour or the act/regulation/byelaw?

i think that if regulations/byelaws were debated in parliament then a lot of them would not have been implemented.

eg the restrictions on cycling in the new forest. the forestry commission (or whatever they are calling themselves today) do far more damage to the forest with their vehicles ( not including logging ) than cyclists.

we all have to choose which 'laws' we obey & take the consequences if caught. so i'll continue to cycle where i think it's appropriate in the new forest and no doubt others will continue to overnight there. i haven't heard of any prosecutions for either 'offence'.

From The Statute Law Database web site:
Bye-laws.
This is legislation delegated to bodies such as local authorities, operators of transport systems or public utilities. The application of bye-laws is usually limited to a particular local area or the operations of a specific public body.
The delegation is by parliament - i.e. parliament passes a general law and leaves the specifics of local application to the appropriate authorities for particular local areas.

It is a similar case with national legislation which it is the job of ministries to implement; parliament makes the law.

See also The Open University web site:
Byelaws can be made by local authorities and certain other public corporations and companies concerning issues within the scope of their geographic or other areas of responsibility. So, a County Council can make byelaws affecting the whole county, whilst a District or Town Council can only make byelaws for the district or town. Byelaws are usually created when there is no general legislation that deals with an issue that concerns people in a local area. If a council wishes to make a byelaw it must advertise the proposed byelaw to allow local people a chance to comment, before applying to the Secretary of State for approval. Local authority byelaws often concern such matters as traffic management, parking and libraries – an example of this kind of byelaw is set out in Activity 9. An example of byelaws created by another body is the London Regional Transport Railways Byelaws. You can see the range of activities covered by these byelaws by going to www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/5004.aspx (note: you might also see byelaw spelt ‘by-law’ or ‘bye-law’).
As mentioned in the quote, people in the area have a chance to comment before a bye-law becomes effective - and the Secretary of State will take any comments received into account before deciding whether to approve or not.

Local authorities, operators of transport systems, public utilities etc are all types of "creature of statute". They are only allowed to do things which parliament has given them the power to do. If they do otherwise the acts are "ultra vires" and illegal.

So, all laws are made with the approval of parliament so no need for you to have a problem with bye-laws any more :Smile:

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just want to point out that tents are also NOT allowed to wildcamp in the New Forest (unless on a special permit usually supplied to D of E groups) so the tangent earlier of tents v's MHs doesn't apply to the New Forest (or most of the Brecon Beacons).

Just for completeness I did a Google search on camping on Dartmoor and Exmoor (the two places mentioned in Wildman's post).

I found Link Removed for Dartmoor. I couldn't find anything similar specific to Exmoor but I did find Link Removed for camping in National Parks generally.

I think the Dartmoor document, especially, answers the question "what exactly is the difference?" very well.

Graham

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As mentioned in the quote, people in the area have a chance to comment before a bye-law becomes effective - and the Secretary of State will take any comments received into account before deciding whether to approve or not.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You need to take a reality check!! ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You need to take a reality check!! ::bigsmile:

Oh, but I have. Don't forget, I was one of the people who worked with Redcar & Cleveland Council to establish the overnight facility at Guisborough. During that process we saw how the draft TRO was advertised, we saw the comments which came in and we saw reports of the meetings which leading council members and officers had with the people who commented.

That's quite apart from experience of working in local government. ::bigsmile:

Graham

Motorhomedad

Free Member
May 30, 2013
Brighton
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
newbiew
Parking up responsibly in the New Forest!

If you park up quietly in these beautiful locations and are responsible with waste and noise pollution then it really should not be a problem..

We just got back from 3 days parked by a lovely pond in the middle of the New Forest one of the car parks any one else seems to just turn up in their campers to have lunch and then go..

I can't believe one camp site i called to find out prices was charging £28 per night with no electric hook up!! A complete rip off!

Anyhow we were quiet and in bed by 9pm so no noise was made, we have a toilet in the van so did not have to dig holes for toilets and took all our rubbish with us. Even collected a couple of bits floating around in the car park and put them in our rubbish bin! My 5 year old son LOVED it! Ducks and horses right outside our window!

I really cannot see the problem. I think its disgusting turning our areas of beauty that have been free for the public to enjoy are just being turned more and more into businesses just to make money!

I say POWER TO THE PEOPLE!! :)
:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not a problem Motorhomedad? Two points from the Link Removed:
All the land in the National Parks is privately owned and in England and Wales you have to get the landowners permission before camping. Common land, like a lot of the New Forest does not mean there is a right to camp on it, especially as this could conflict with commoners rights to graze animals. Some farmers and landowners may allow camping if you ask them and follow our guidelines, but if in doubt find an official campsite, there are lots to choose from!
Try not to camp immediately beside a lake or river to avoid disturbing birds and animals
I note that you are new to motorhomes so assume you are not aware of what happens when people ignore camping restrictions (though earlier posts in this thread give some explanation). In many cases it has resulted in all motorhome parking being banned and height barriers being erected, which also prevents turning up to have lunch and then go.

AndyHun

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Accrington
Funster No
MH
CI Cusona 594
Exp
Since 2011
Hi there, weve just had the odd night in the New Forest and it was great. First of all we did a Motorhome stop off (MHS) at Holmesley campsite and used their facilities for showering, getting water on board and getting rid of waste, etc. It cost us £7 for the 3 hours that we spent there and then after spending most of the day at Beaulieu Motor Museum we came back to Matley Wood campsite and stayed overnight. It cost £11.55 for 3 of us and our dog. Hope thats of some use to you. Andy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back