Wild camping in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hi there. We are new to motorhoming as have had a caravan for the last 30 odd years. We pick up our motorhome at the beginning of May and want to tour Scotland. We want to camp on the side of lochs or in picturesque surroudings as we have previously been restricted to conventional campsites. Is this allowed in Scotland?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Land Reform Act more commonly called the 'right to roam act' does not apply to motorised vehicles or caravans

The same laws on off site camping , parking, overnighting, wild camping, whatever you call it.. apply in Scotland.. no different from England.

You will find lots of nice places to park overnight but bear the above in mind.. all land is owned by someone...

there is no 'right' to camp, other than a camp site.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi and welcome. You can park up almost anywhere in Scotland. Just use your commonsense. Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints. Which route are you taking?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Scotland is a fantastic place for wild camping.. The more remote areas the easier it becomes... just a bit of common sense..and I like to try and support the local shops and businesses so mh's are looked on as an asset.
I'm told the islands are the same and they are my next to do over coming years..
Ta Andy

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for the replies. We hope to travel up the west coat as far as Syke and then across vis loch ness the down to the whisky trail. Having had a caravan we found camp sites were few and far between hence the need to park "wild"

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The further north and west you get, the easier wild camping is. Just be sensitive to locals and remember that any off-site camping is prohibited in the Lomond and Trossachs national park.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The further north and west you get, the easier wild camping is. Just be sensitive to locals and remember that any off-site camping is prohibited in the Lomond and Trossachs national park.
Only on the east side at the moment. Some good overnight parking around Tarbet and Luss areas.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were there in September and were surprised and disappointed that very many towns don't allow you to overnight on their car parks. There are a few harbour side places which were great and we used Britstops and were made very welcome by them all. (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@Badknee which towns couldn't you park in? There,s usually someone that knows somewhere to park...Just ask :)

Deleted User
In the Highland Council area the 'No Overnight Parking' signs are not enforceable but as already been mentioned be considerate where you park.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@Badknee which towns couldn't you park in? There,s usually someone that knows somewhere to park...Just ask :)
We wanted to stop in Ullapool on the carpark next to Tesco but signs all over the place. But as I say we were very surprised how many places didn't want us there or our money.

France on next years tour list I think which is a shame as there's some of the UK we haven't seen yet.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Theres a couple of large laybys suitable for overnighting on the A835 closeby.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
As a lifelong occupier of south west Scotland I can seriously recommend turning left as soon as you arrive at the border. The scenery is beautiful with easy parking in most towns. Wild camping is easy & safe, if I was you I'd follow the coast right round & it'll eventually lead you up to the west highlands. Your life will be richer for visiting this undiscovered corner of Scotland, most people just plough on up the A74 or A1 & they miss the true heart of Scotland. The highlands are stunning & the majesty of the mountains is breathtaking so by all means enjoy your trip & please come back for more, so whatever you decide to do, here's wishing you a safe & pleasant journey.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We camped roadside in Luss 1 night no problem, then another night had a meal in the loch fyne oyster bar, we pre booked and asked if we could stay overnight on their car park so we could both have wine with our meal. No problem they said. Very welcoming.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for the advice. We want to try Scotland first to get used to the van as having had the caravan we know it's a different type of touring so hoping to get feel for this new way of seeing the country. If all goes well will be traveling through France, Switzerland towards the Italian lakes at the end of August and through till the end of September. Looking forward to meeting other motorhomers on the way. You all sound a great bunch!!!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
You will now have to pay your tenner to interact anymore it is well worth it.
Advice on all of europe can be had by experienced travellers on here. Whatever you do enjoy your travels.

Deleted User
If someone wants to steal your pride and joy they will. Busy bodies cant stop others pleasures just for their own peace of mind. Many users have them for legitimate uses and get pleasure from these gadgets. They only become illegal if they are used for personal gain:rolleyes:
Bit like No overnight parking.....:)
My posting was on the basis that they have no legitimate use. If they have then obviously they should be allowed to be advertised.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In the Highland Council area the 'No Overnight Parking' signs are not enforceable but as already been mentioned be considerate where you park.
I think that statement is out of date.
Some years ago, in an attempt to stop camping which was becoming a nuisance in some areas, the Highland Council erected No Overnighting signs. However, in order to save money, they didn't put any parking orders in place, which meant that the signs were unenforceable.
When Andy Strangeway found out and started creating a fuss (probably the only time he has had real justification for doing so) Highland Council removed the signs.
Since that time, however, new signs have appeared in certain places and this time they are backed by legal orders meaning that they are enforceable. Ignore them at your peril :)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The councils in Scotland have not put signs all over Scotland, there are still plenty of spaces with no signs in very quiet spots.

If it's wild camping you want there is a forum that gives you a vast number of spots, (subscription required) used by it's members on a regular basis. Google it.

And no don't go to S W Scotland we want to keep it for ourselves. :D

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Since that time, however, new signs have appeared in certain places and this time they are backed by legal orders meaning that they are enforceable. Ignore them at your peril

Hi George I've spent a fair bit of time this summer touring Scotland ,mainly with locals,and when I have mentioned the above they have replied if that is the case a notice of the relevant bylaws also has to be displayed with or close to the sing preventing no overnight parking..
And they continue to wild if such signs are not in place..

It not made much easier as I'm sure a lot of the old signs are still in place judging by the state/age of them...
They are far more tolerant up there certainly in the rural areas and I've even been told just park here no one will mind by local authority workers in spite of new looking signs been in place...
Been sensible and considerate and using the local facilities is still the main consideration to keep the locals friendly for as long as possible... is still the way to go in Scotland imo...
Andy

Deleted User
I think that statement is out of date.
Some years ago, in an attempt to stop camping which was becoming a nuisance in some areas, the Highland Council erected No Overnighting signs. However, in order to save money, they didn't put any parking orders in place, which meant that the signs were unenforceable.
When Andy Strangeway found out and started creating a fuss (probably the only time he has had real justification for doing so) Highland Council removed the signs.
Since that time, however, new signs have appeared in certain places and this time they are backed by legal orders meaning that they are enforceable. Ignore them at your peril :)

This is a copy of email received on 14th Oct 2015 which may clarify the situation

With reference to your enquiry regarding the legality of ‘No Overnight Parking’ signs, I can confirm that they are not enforceable in the Highland Council area.
I cannot confirm that this is the case on trunk roads and I can only advise you to contact Transport Scotland and make enquiries with them or Bear Scotland who maintain the trunk roads in the Highland Council area.

Regards

Meg Maclean
Operational Support Officer
Highland Council
94 Diriebught Road
Inverness
01463 703108
meg.maclean@highland.gov.uk

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
There is a very good Facebook page wild camping in Scotland. Even has a map showing spots and lots of information for anyone wanting to wild camp anywhere in Scotland. There are some lovely spots in Edniburgh btw!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Thanks for the replies. We hope to travel up the west coat as far as Syke and then across vis loch ness the down to the whisky trail. Having had a caravan we found camp sites were few and far between hence the need to park "wild"

For our first trip touring Scotland we were advised to Drive up the East coast across the top and then come down along the West coast, the reason being the vista was better viewed travelling this direction.
Have to say it was breath taking, plenty of places to wild camp as said just be considerate.
We found that when we came across and No Overnight Parking sign there was usually a campsite nearby.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi George I've spent a fair bit of time this summer touring Scotland ,mainly with locals,and when I have mentioned the above they have replied if that is the case a notice of the relevant bylaws also has to be displayed with or close to the sing preventing no overnight parking..
And they continue to wild if such signs are not in place..

It not made much easier as I'm sure a lot of the old signs are still in place judging by the state/age of them...
They are far more tolerant up there certainly in the rural areas and I've even been told just park here no one will mind by local authority workers in spite of new looking signs been in place...
Been sensible and considerate and using the local facilities is still the main consideration to keep the locals friendly for as long as possible... is still the way to go in Scotland imo...
Andy

This is a copy of email received on 14th Oct 2015 which may clarify the situation

With reference to your enquiry regarding the legality of ‘No Overnight Parking’ signs, I can confirm that they are not enforceable in the Highland Council area.
I cannot confirm that this is the case on trunk roads and I can only advise you to contact Transport Scotland and make enquiries with them or Bear Scotland who maintain the trunk roads in the Highland Council area.

Regards

Meg Maclean
Operational Support Officer
Highland Council
94 Diriebught Road
Inverness
01463 703108
meg.maclean@highland.gov.uk
Thanks for the clarifications. I stand corrected :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I stand corrected
Not trying to contradict you...just explaining my experiences and saying that most feel strongly about their perceived rights to wild camp in Scotland. ..
I think it's still confusing and unlike yourself I haven't taken the time and trouble to look further into the legality of it all..
I take on board what you said about at your peril..
I'm sure it's applicable in some areas..
Ta andy

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
As a lifelong occupier of south west Scotland I can seriously recommend turning left as soon as you arrive at the border. The scenery is beautiful with easy parking in most towns. Wild camping is easy & safe, if I was you I'd follow the coast right round & it'll eventually lead you up to the west highlands. Your life will be richer for visiting this undiscovered corner of Scotland, most people just plough on up the A74 or A1 & they miss the true heart of Scotland. The highlands are stunning & the majesty of the mountains is breathtaking so by all means enjoy your trip & please come back for more, so whatever you decide to do, here's wishing you a safe & pleasant journey.

when I were a lad , Glasgow school board owned a mansion house in South West Scotland , it was in Garlieston , our school sent us there for a month to get a taste of the country side , the area is quite beautifull .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Follow this code and you won't go far wrong..

The Access Code says:

Access rights do not extend to any motorised activities. However, many people use their cars to get into the outdoors and parking a vehicle without regard to the interests of other people can cause problems. Therefore, when you park your vehicle it is important not to cause any damage or create an obstruction by:

• Not blocking an entrance to a field or building
  • Not making it difficult for other people to use a road or track
  • Having regard for the safety of others
  • Trying not to damage the verge
  • Using a car park if one is nearby.
A useful guide .. Broken Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not trying to contradict you...just explaining my experiences and saying that most feel strongly about their perceived rights to wild camp in Scotland. ..
I think it's still confusing and unlike yourself I haven't taken the time and trouble to look further into the legality of it all..
I take on board what you said about at your peril..
I'm sure it's applicable in some areas..
Ta andy
No problem Andy. The reply which @Borderland received is pretty clear :)

I've had a quick Google since last posting and it appears that moves to implement new orders probably haven't yet come to fruition. The Highland Council web site is pretty deficient in anything to do with parking so, in order to try to obtain a definitive answer I've sent a FoI request to them
Could you please supply details of any/all restrictions on the parking of motorhomes within the Highland Council area:
a) On street, including lay-bys, belonging to/managed by Highland Council.
b) In off-street car parks belonging to/managed by Highland Council.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back