Wild Camping I Dont Think So at Least Not For A While (1 Viewer)

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Well we just spent last night in Felixstowe Port nr Languard Fort & thou we did not get bothered there apart from the noise of cars roaring in & out & the constant clangs of containers moving we well she had a good nights sleep.
It was not our 1st point of call nor was it 2nd, 3rd or 4th it was more like well its the last place im looking or going home.
I cant say I enjoyed driving around for hours looking for a reasonable place to park getting more tired bye the minute in pitch black constantly stopping to load up the next poi to go try before giving one more a try @ 1am.
I dont see the point in wasting all that diesel having spent hours on the net trawling for these so called places to park that have been tested one of which was most definitely a dogging spot & I think we may have even interrupted the couple but we didnt pay much attention to it.
We should still be out tonight & after we visited Rendlesham searched for more one of which was on a road I was not prepared to enter & the other further down I did not go to as I really wanted some internet signal to place an eBay bid & I knew I would not get that there so we gave up & came home.

I cant see us doing much wild camping at the moment infact I really cant see the joy in wasting time & diesel when I could have gone to one or more sites & spent more time relaxing however I wont completely throw in the towel just yet lets say after our 1st real wild outing im hanging up the towel for a while but if someone wants to take us out & show us how its done then maybee we will give it another go but to this date the only spot ive found is in Cornwall & thats a long drive to park overnight.

On as side note I got to place my bid on fleabay or well I let Mandy place it as I was driving at the time & well thought id been out bid untill we parked for dinner & I found out I won the item, well its a no brainier really when she place £13000 instead of £1300 :Eeek: oh well there goes my tax money :imoutahere:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've had similar experiences.. but we usually waypoint mark a good enough layby on the main road before we head off looking for the nicer places to sleep.. We quite often end up back at the layby lol.

The alternative is having to plan ahead and know when you will be tired of driving so you can prebook or always finish driving at 4pm so you can get checked in to a site. I've had site owners being very rude when I've turned up midnight even when I've prebooked

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Driving isnt a problem as thats what I do Im employed to stay awake & manage my sleep deprevation its what once apon a time they used to call a lorry driver (y)
Felixstowe was my Final last ditch alternative to everything & we had a lovely morning there but id hate to be there during the busy period today it was full of volunteer beach cleaners.

As for fun finding somwhere to park Im not sure YET! our cornwall trip didnt go without a hitch

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
But it was smoother because we used SITES......................

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Well we just spent last night in Felixstowe Port nr Languard Fort & thou we did not get bothered there apart from the noise of cars roaring in & out & the constant clangs of containers moving we well she had a good nights sleep.
It was not our 1st point of call nor was it 2nd, 3rd or 4th it was more like well its the last place im looking or going home.
I cant say I enjoyed driving around for hours looking for a reasonable place to park getting more tired bye the minute in pitch black constantly stopping to load up the next poi to go try before giving one more a try @ 1am.
I dont see the point in wasting all that diesel having spent hours on the net trawling for these so called places to park that have been tested one of which was most definitely a dogging spot & I think we may have even interrupted the couple but we didnt pay much attention to it.
We should still be out tonight & after we visited Rendlesham searched for more one of which was on a road I was not prepared to enter & the other further down I did not go to as I really wanted some internet signal to place an eBay bid & I knew I would not get that there so we gave up & came home.

I cant see us doing much wild camping at the moment infact I really cant see the joy in wasting time & diesel when I could have gone to one or more sites & spent more time relaxing however I wont completely throw in the towel just yet lets say after our 1st real wild outing im hanging up the towel for a while but if someone wants to take us out & show us how its done then maybee we will give it another go but to this date the only spot ive found is in Cornwall & thats a long drive to park overnight.

On as side note I got to place my bid on fleabay or well I let Mandy place it as I was driving at the time & well thought id been out bid untill we parked for dinner & I found out I won the item, well its a no brainier really when she place £13000 instead of £1300 :Eeek: oh well there goes my tax money :imoutahere:

Well that would put Steve off for life! He couldn't cope with that at all. That's not the romantic image I had in my head. Thank you for being so honest with your post. An eye opener for me! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I've had similar experiences.. but we usually waypoint mark a good enough layby on the main road before we head off looking for the nicer places to sleep.. We quite often end up back at the layby lol.

The alternative is having to plan ahead and know when you will be tired of driving so you can prebook or always finish driving at 4pm so you can get checked in to a site. I've had site owners being very rude when I've turned up midnight even when I've prebooked[/QUOTE]

And you find that surprising!!:Eeek:

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well that would put Steve off for life! He couldn't cope with that at all. That's not the romantic image I had in my head. Thank you for being so honest with your post. An eye opener for me! :)

Im sure we will try again but for the time being having a destination planned that is pre-booked or arraged as no booking needed has worked for us so far & checking reviews online has lead to some lovely spots.
My free time is sparce & driving trucks every day means I dont want to spend hours behind the wheel & start hating my pride n joy which in all fairness was where my head was heading tonight.
I love my MH & want to enjoy it so for the time being I will stick to what works, search, review, plan, go & not end up hating my time out in her which is where my head started to go tonight hence ending up home.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I wasn't very good at anything until I learnt the ropes...

Knowledge built on experimentation and experience is a wonderful asset.

These days I rarely have a problem finding a suitable place for a good night's sleep.

And now and again I find a superb spot which is filed away for future visits.

JJ :cool:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Rob, the wonder of our lifestyle is that within reason we can stop in so many places. We've wilded on many occasions since 1988 and only once have we had to move on (in UK). Pick your own (safe) places with the minimum of prep and planning, it's what it's all about imo! (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I wasn't very good at anything until I learnt the ropes...

Knowledge built on experimentation and experience is a wonderful asset.

These days I rarely have a problem finding a suitable place for a good night's sleep.

And now and again I find a superb spot which is filed away for future visits.

JJ :cool:

Bugger! I wish I'd seen that post before I posted my own inferior effort(y)(y)

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
It's such a shame that you had to abandon your plans. I don't think that I would be any good at wild camping, I like to know what's happening and when....each to their own, of course ;)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Always find it harder near cities and towns, here's a pic of our wild spot last week of you look closely you can see our MH bottom middle of pic. The joys of living in Scotland :)
image.jpg

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
And you find that surprising!!

no.. but as we have very limited time to roam in our van due to parenting and work commitments it's often the best we can hope for.. hence our choice to wild camp instead of use sites. We have considered late arrival spaces on some of the bigger sites but they tend not to be the prettiest places to wake up..

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ah Scotland I would love to have the finances to go for just One week of wilding as the law allows it up there beutifull place & I have only been there fro work.

Timeframes mjltigger dont get me started I have but one weekend off in every two basically if i dont work I dont get paid simples.

& the rest of you guys maybee its just because weve just started out or possibly another factor that I find it hard to settle away from home I cant say either way but it was only @ Felixstowe did Mandy sleep though she sleeps like a baby in the motorhome anyway, me too many factors keep me awake subconsciously.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Beautiful.............

Isn't it just, but we have many places like that here in Wales........just not so big maybe! Up in the Claerwen Valley along the reservoirs there are some memorable places at all times of the year.(y) Not so many weeks past we had a couple of nights on the way back home from Anglesey, the only disturbance was a hooting owl who wouldn't bugger off even when the torch was pushing out 500 lumens..............he did blink though.:D

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
[you]Isn't it just, [/you]but we have many places like that here in Wales........just not so big maybe! Up in the Claerwen Valley along the reservoirs there are some memorable places at all times of the year.(y) Not so many weeks past we had a couple of nights on the way back home form Anglesey, the only disturbance was a hooting owl who wouldn't bugger off even when the torch was pushing out 500 lumens..............he did blink though.:D

We Love Wales End...........................

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Should have tried just round the corner,
Landgaurd car park
51°56'40.42"N 1°19'50.05"E
Toliets and out side tap

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Should have tried just round the corner,
Landgaurd car park
51°56'40.42"N 1°19'50.05"E
Toliets and out side tap

Maybee but I had this location on my list & to be honest if viewed on google earth loks like a big car park just bigger to where we ended up so no better.
I dont see car parks as a viable stop not when your headed out for the weekend and are self sufficiant & dont need water or waste, I want a nice quiet sanctuary.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Maybee but I had this location on my list & to be honest if viewed on google earth loks like a big car park just bigger to where we ended up so no better.
I dont see car parks as a viable stop not when your headed out for the weekend and are self sufficiant & dont need water or waste, I want a nice quiet sanctuary.

Us too Rob.(y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Interesting.
Have never done any true wilding - but have enjoyed many Britstops - which is kind of 'permitted' wild camping, and stayed on a few friend and family driveways!
Not saying I wouldn't - but being the sort who likes to leave the van (which as a full timer is our home!) and do stuff (mainly involving pubs!!!) I think I prefer a least some sense of security.

If I was in a spot like posted above though - then I'd be more likely to!

Good on ya for having a go Rob - all part of the experience(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
headed out for the weekend and are self sufficiant & dont need water or waste, I want a nice quiet sanctuary.

Skegness should suit you any time of the year. :LOL:

Only joking Skegnesians (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Did you try looking in the wild camping section on Fun before settiing off? Some great spots uploaded by fellow funsters.
Sometimes if the boards are quiet I have a wee read through the section so I can keep new places to try in mind.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Wild camping in UK is nice and safe, I want recommended sites, viewed in daylight anywhere over the channel.
I`m glad we live in this country (y)

Deleted User
no.. but as we have very limited time to roam in our van due to parenting and work commitments it's often the best we can hope for.. hence our choice to wild camp instead of use sites. We have considered late arrival spaces on some of the bigger sites but they tend not to be the prettiest places to wake up..

I can well appreciate that, it's just that in your post you sounded surprised that someone should object to you arriving at a site at midnight, especially unannounced. No excuse for rudeness though, re late arrival spaces would it really matter about the situation, presumably you could move onto a proper pitch the morning after if that site was your destination.(y)

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Did you try looking in the wild camping section on Fun before settiing off? Some great spots uploaded by fellow funsters.
Sometimes if the boards are quiet I have a wee read through the section so I can keep new places to try in mind.

Wild camping in UK is nice and safe, I want recommended sites, viewed in daylight anywhere over the channel.
I`m glad we live in this country (y)

I spent hours trawling various sites for locations & can not revisit those sites now without registering as ive outstayed my welcomes.

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Interesting.
Have never done any true wilding - but have enjoyed many Britstops - which is kind of 'permitted' wild camping, and stayed on a few friend and family driveways!
Not saying I wouldn't - but being the sort who likes to leave the van (which as a full timer is our home!) and do stuff (mainly involving pubs!!!) I think I prefer a least some sense of security.

If I was in a spot like posted above though - then I'd be more likely to!

Good on ya for having a go Rob - all part of the experience(y)

Its Brit Stops next for us I think now Dave (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back