Wild Camping Habitation Batteries

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by DJK, Sep 1, 2015.

1. DJK

DJK

I’m looking at doing a bit of wild camping and wondered what everyone thought about the batteries.

I’ve currently only got a 85AH habitation battery and was thinking about having 2, now do I go for another 85AH and have a pair the with the same AH or do I upgrade and put 2 x 110AH to be safe for the telly etc.

Your thoughts please

2. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Battery capacity doesnt matter, your charger only sees the combined capacity as one battery....85ah plus 110ah = 195ah battery.

Age DOES matter, a failing old one will reduce the usable total capacity of both.

Bite the bullet and buy 2 new ones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Posted previously -

It depends on how you use them.
    From my two 95A battery's I can watch TV ect for 3 hours a night without flattening the batter'y.
    I don't consider a 4W loss to be significant.
    I have 240V Smart TV and I am pretty sure you couldn't buy one on 12V. This TV also allows me to connect all kinds of USB devices with an HD picture and HD sound. A 100Gb hard drive full of films and TV series is a great bonus when you can't get a TV signal.
    Driving to our next stop over the next day always fully charges battery's again.
    We never use sites but have been known to run the engine at tick over for a couple hours if necessary and its still cheaper than a £20+ a night camp sites.
    I wouldn't be without one because it provides so many more power options.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DJK

DJK

But a 110 will last longer than a 85 would it not

• Like Like x 1
  6. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

Find out the limit of your charger like mine is a Sargent PX -300 which says maximum 220amp, I would get 2 new ones upto the max ;)

7. DJK

DJK

Would it be better to fit Gel batteries

8. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I've yet to put a dent in my 110a hab battery... When I got my van a few months ago I was tempted by the advice of get extra batteries, get solar etc...
    ...but I discovered that the existing appears to be sufficient for my needs.
    My TV is 12v Finlux, I changed all the bulbs to LEDs... How much battery do you actually need?
    TV & powered aerial, lights, water pump, electric step, recharging phone & tablet.
    Don't do huge distances between stops. Stayed four nights at Lyndon Top on my shakedown trip without flattening it.
    Find out how much you need before spending....

• Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It depends on your usage and how you replenish what is used. Presumably you have a solar panel for the latter.

We have a 85Ah battery and a 80W solar panel and have no problems because our power requirements are modest - lights, water pump, recharging phones &c and heater fan in cold weather.

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's been argued to death on here. There are camps on both sides and both convinced their choice is the best for them. I would suggest get the biggest capacity you can get which physically fits and the best warranty, three or four years.

11. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Horses for courses - my sisters van, which is now 7 years old and has the original battery has never let her down when we have been at a Warners rally for 4 nights. Mine, which is 2 years old and has 2 x 100 Ah batteries has to run a compressor fridge hence I have had a 100wt solar panel fitted. Depending on the amount of time you will be static when wilding I would always go for the best your budget stretches to.

12. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

In our last MH we had the webasto heating which seemed to drain our battery. We were forever running the engine. We upgraded to 2x110 batteries, changed MH to one with a gas heater and had a solar panel fitted. So far so good. :)

13. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

If there is enough room and if you can clamp them down securely.
    And if you travel far enough to fully recharge them.

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

If you are serious about doing a bit of wild camping then you really do need some solar power as well as a couple of good batteries.

15. Masman

Masman Funster

Ive got one 85ah battery.Its the original one which was fitted new in 2004.I can wild camp for four days before i need to charge it,Admitedly i dont use tv.I listen to radio have changed lights to led.I have fridge on gas and heating on when needed.this is mainly in sprind to begining of autumn.one it gets past that its sites with hook up.I may be ready for a new battery next year.It all depends realy on what you want to do when wilding.

• Like Like x 1