Wild Camping.............because you can?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We live in Scotland and the idea of wild camping is second nature to us (although so far in tents or back of the car....lol). This set me thinking.........if you live in England do you consider wild camping an odd thing to do?

Do people use sites/cl's etc because they have to? Up here in Gods Country wild camping is a given right (as long as you are respectful and considerate).

For us, camped up overnight up in the hills or on a beach in the Hebrides is what it's all about.

:Smile::Smile::BigGrin:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We do some wild camping and some wild parking:Smile:

Proper WILDerness camping is fantastic, but then an empty seaside carpark in Winter can be just as nice.:BigGrin:

I wrote an article a little while ago a beginners guide to motorhome wild camping, have a read:thumb:

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I have wild parked all of my life, couldn't call it camping, but all over the UK and Europe. To me its second nature. Though I do appreciate others don't feel safe or for some reason think they shouldn't.

4. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have read that Jim, a very interesting article indeed :thumb: You make a good case for wild camping :Smile:

5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

P.S

As an Englishman who lived in Wales for 10 years I do also consider Wales another one of Gods green and pleasant lands :Wink:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its a pretty principality :BigGrin:

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have you learnt the language yet Jim :Smile:

8. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

We have yet to try wild camping but are gonna give it a go when we visit Wales this year:thumb:

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

80% of the people in my house are totally fluent Welsh. I'm the 20% I don't speak a word. :Blush: I'm in good company though because they reckon 80% of the Welsh don't speak it either. But where we live I'd say 90% speak Welsh first.

Reading something last year that says Wales loses 3000 Welsh speakers a year, which is a shame. Officially the country is bilingual.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Just to clarify..

The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, more commonly known as the Right to Roam Act, does not include the right to camp in caravans, motor caravans or indeed any motorised vehicle..

Conduct excluded from access rights ref. Section 9 (f)
    In some areas, notably Loch Lomond, it has been so badly abused by inconsiderate campers it has now been made illegal.. many now think the Act was ill thought out.

In Scotland, the laws on parking and sleeping in a caravan or motor caravan are exactly the same as in the rest of the UK... ie , provided you are parked legally and there are no prohibition TROs in force, there is nothing to stop you .

Camping, (as opposed to parking), is only legal in Scotland if the land owner has given permission and they have planning permission, ie a camp site or a 5 van site with an exception certificate.

Scotland is a wonderful country for responsible motor caravanning, there are thousands of 'wild spots' where you can enjoy an overnight stop, but please don't spoil it for others by 'camping' for days on end or ignoring "No Overnight Parking" signs.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Iv been wild all my life:Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Sad but true. There are pockets of Wales where Welsh is the first language but elsewhere it isn't spoken at all.

I came from South Pembrokeshire where no Welsh was spoken and yet in North Pembrokeshire Welsh is widely spoken. When we got together for joint rugby teams the lineout calls were often interesting:BigGrin:

I have now lived in England for 10 years longer than I lived in Wales.:Eeek:

13. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Read Only Funster

Those familar "No overnight parking" signs in Scotland had no legal standing. Whilst often they were sited,sensibly, on roadside P's they were often found in places such as large off-road parking areas, lay-bys etc. where there was no logical reason why they should be there at all. I think it was only 2011/2012 that the Highland Council issued an order that they all be removed. Within a few weeks they started to disappear, so there are very few, if any, to be seen now.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

You are right of course, however in Scotland there are many places where can night stop without over zealous 'nimbys' going out of their way to stop you :Smile:

The 'No overnight parking' signs have been illegally placed for many years and are now being removed.

Common sense and respect still applies but I think there is less of that in England perhaps :RollEyes:

It is also (of course) a case of much (MUCH) less population density up here so there will always be less people to get excited about it :Wink:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  15. maz

maz Funster

I don't consider it odd at all. My van has everything I need on board so I'm not reliant on sites. I park considerately when I wild camp and cause no problems - have been left in peace so far. :Smile:

16. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

That's acceptable Chris. You're a missionary.:Laughing: