Wild camping and the leisure battery....

Discussion in 'Wild Camping' started by mike9jr, Nov 13, 2013.

1. mike9jr

mike9jr Read Only Funster

Hi,

Newbie questions....

Bessecar E410- Toilet and shower....
    I believe that if I'm not hooked up, ie, when wild camping, that the plug sockets in the van are pretty much redundant...?
    I assume I can cook with gas, heat with gas...ok.
    But, can I heat the water and use the shower while parked in some remote location for a couple of days?

Any advice gratefully received.

Mike

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Yes... Almost every van has a gas water heater.. Remember to take off the outside vent cover or it will never light...

Correct on the electrical sockets, you can fit an inverter BUT thats another subject, advise you read up here on the forum..

3. superk

superk Read Only Funster

Yes you can if gas heated. Your electrical supply is 12v from your battery so lighting and water pump and any 12v socket. Fridge needs to be on gas unless electric only (compressor).

4. maz

maz Funster

240v sockets won't work off hook-up (unless you have an inverter) but 12v sockets can be used to charge up various equipment (eg laptop) provided you have 12v adapters for them. Use gas to heat water but shower will use 12v to run the water pump. Couple of days should be ok but power taken from battery will need to be replaced at some point - either by driving, hook-up or solar (if you have it). Have fun wildcamping! :Smile:

5. mike9jr

mike9jr Read Only Funster

Thanks for the replies folks.
    All makes sense.

So I guess I'm going to need some 12v adapters for mobile and laptop, but at least i'll be able to get a shower and smell nice :Smile:

That brings me on to reverse polarity...... I'll search around on the forums first.

Cheers

6. keith

keith Funster

You may like to consider one of these for charging SMALL items like phones. Being an inverter (changes 12V to mains electric) it will use more of your battery, but simple to use.

7. Herman ze German

Herman ze German Read Only Funster

We have twin leisure batteries fitted that charge via intelligent split relay charger & we can last 5 days without recharging . But we love to wild camp & are not a fan of campsites , so we bought a small 2 stroke generator only £60.00 from Aldi and works a treat , just plug in our hook up cable & we have 240volt all round & recharges the batteries . We also have an inverter but that does drain the batteries a lot quicker !

• Like Like x 1
  8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I bet that's quiet, .... the wildlife will run a mile........... and of course it will be Pure Sine Wave...... won't it?

;)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Herman ze German

Herman ze German Read Only Funster

Same noise level as a petrol lawn mower. .......Unless you have a grand to spare for a Honda eu20i !

10. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

1st posted in Nov 2013 :whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

A 2 sroke genny screams under even a moderate load, but as long as you are 'wild' and not disturbing others then the noise is immaterial. You wouldn't be too popular on a rally field though. :) I haven't used my genny in a long time. I'm a big fan of this Battery to Battery Charger

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

indeed it will be.. can't get anything else from an AC genny.. frequency will vary with speed, but not the sine wave shape.

it's actually purer than ' inverter technology ' .. which as the name suggests, uses electronics to convert DC to form an AC wave.

13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

If you want to wild camp a lot or use small CL/CS type 5 van sites then you will need to increase your battery capacity first. We have 2 x 110AH Banner batteries that will last us 4 days before recharging.

Then decide how you will recharge when needed. I like a peaceful quiet site, and therefore for me using a genny is exactly opposite to what I want (and would give me a headache in no time). And, as Jim says, cheap two stroke ones make a lot of noise. Not fair in your neighbours I reckon, whether they are other people, or the wildlife you came to see.

I went for solar - I fitted 2 x 100W panels with the necessary controller and wires for a lot less than it would cost to buy a decent genny. It then just works seamlessly and without any fuss. The only thing I have to do every so often is poke my head out of the roof window and give them both a clean.

All my lights have been changed to LEDs, my TV is 12V and I have 12V chargers for most of my electrical stuff such as phone, tablet and shaver. For the occasional 240V needs (so far wife's hair dryer, toaster and electric bike chargers) I have fitted a 2000W inverter. Did not need to bother with an expensive pure sine wave one because none of those need it.

However you will need to think more carefully about winter trips. The solar panels become a lot less effective and the biggest user of electrics will be the fan for the blown air heating. And the longer nights also mean that you will probably have lights and TV on more, although you could always go down to the pub to avoid that!

15. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Aldi currently have 12v sockets for around 4 quid. They have 3 female fag lighter type sockets plus 2 USB sockets. It just plugs into your 12v via a male fag lighter type plug.
    We've used one for charging our phones, Ipad etc. also for power to the TV & aerial for the last year or two now. Wouldn't be without it, in fact we've just bought one as a spare in case ours breaks!
    Also have solar & ctek dc to dc charger . Great so far(y)

16. Peter_n_Margaret

Peter_n_Margaret Read Only Funster

We are touring Europe for 6 months each summer and only wild camp.
    The MH has a compressor fridge, 280Ah of batteries and 430W of solar. Even during poor weather, the solar produces some power.
    Recharge capacity is more important than battery storage, in my view.
    I would also recommend a decent DC-DC charger from the alternator, but we don't have one.

17. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I don't think I've ever used the 240v in my van .....i only have the one leisure battery and always wild camp with exception to recent holiday in france

The van is designed to be fully self sufficient but i guess it depends on how much equipment your running etc but I can easily do 3 or 4 days just running on my 12v battery and gas , i don't run any inverters either

• Like Like x 1