Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
that is why most who full time are on a site or move to sites
wild camping in its self is exiting for the slight adrenalin rush being on the edge some what
not good for long stay

i am lucky as my spot in both chap and secure water on tap and waste deposit within 20 feet

nine months in to full time an i am loving it
not sure it would suit every one but for me right now it is great fun

any one at malvern hope the rain isnt getting you all too wet or down in spirits

poor traders might not do so well
not many spending much this morning most just looking and moving on to the next stand

What JJ said.

I don't do campsites through choice. It is part of my lifestyle not even slightly related to adrenalin rushes. As I said I just did a full year of wilding and am back doing it this weekend. Its my choice and lots of others. In my 3 1/2 years fulltiming the balance seems to be 50:50 of those who use sites and those who don't....

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Dogs are allowed but children aren't:thumb::thumb::thumb:

2 years ago I converted a large 10 mtr Optare Metrorider over the winter while staying on the site so yes big ones are welcome. However you would want to ensure you could get on one of the 2 hard standings...

Link Broken

I can see it is going to get harder to book in here now for me now. :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Some of us already know of that site, has the weather been nice enough for you to take advantage of the pool yet?

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
This 'full timing' thing is quite interesting, it's coming across a little like "if you don't drink real ale your not a proper man" type of thing.

Surely people who live in their MH's full time are full timers where ever they park.
Wild or free camping is only one aspect of fulltiming more suited to some types more so than others. And of course the opposite is true of people who want to stay on sites full time.

Providing people are enjoying their lifestyle does it matter what version they follow or what percentage do which?

A question, if you travel from recognised aire to aire, are you wild camping or staying on an organsied site?

Gromett had a valid point that after 12 months of being totally aware in all respects of where he stopped when wild camping, he realised he was enjoying all be it for a short while a paid for site. But at the same time looked forward to the total freedom of his next 3 days of wild camping too. Does that make him less of a fulltimer and does it matter if it does?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
some pics here Broken Link Removed
You have done a fantasyic job looks very nice indeed. I did have one small question but I think I have answered it myself as it did once carry passengers in the back. I was going to ask how does the law stand about not having access from the cab to the living accommodation.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can carry passengers in the back .it was used for prisoners . and at least one guard .
they make real good campers . we dont change the windows .they arent opening but you can open the roof hatches . they also make nice mountings for solar .depends where you park one side can be tilted to the sun.
we also chop the side door to make it a stable door . and of course repaint it to blend in with the other vans as you can see. hee hee.

veevee .its not about wilding or sites its just some think only sites can be used . personally i dont full time anyway but hate sites . plus half the time there arent any where we go.
so long as you are having fun and it suits you thats ok. isnt that what its about?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Morocco 2008-2009 164.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 164.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 23
  • P3090444.jpg
    P3090444.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Thanks Buttons,as far as I am aware there is no law stating that you must have through access from the cab to the habitation area,obviously it was designed to transport people however the seats in the cells were only a piece of moulded GRP and had no seat belts, the guards seat was a standard metal seat frame with seatbelt fitted. If you wished to transport passengers I assume you would just need to fit suitable seats with three point belts fitted to the frames. As for us ours is purely built for two. but could be a three birth as we have three seats in the cab. Also as Alan says they make excellent base vehicles for converting.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
motor homes exempt till recently didnt need them 2007 i think. memory failing . ha ha
but incredible insulation in the boxes and a really thick floor . tremendous cost when built new . yet can be bought for a fraction of the cost. windows double glazed and bullet proof . really well made entrance steps . puts most motor home builds to shame .

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Veevee is quite right.

It doesn't matter where you park your motorhome... if you live in it all the year around you can quite rightly call yourself a "fulltimer."

The point I am attempting to make (badly) is that within this "full timing" group there are what I call "van dwellers." I don't claim that these folk are any better or worse than full time motorhomers, just different.

The difference (as I see it) is that van dwellers have adapted their lifestyle to fit living in a van. They don't expect to shower every day or be able to watch Eastenders wherever they are every night or have a hair dryer or an electric kettle, carving knife and coffee grinder. I guess it might be a chicken and the egg situation because when I started full timing I did have a telly (never watched Eastenders though) and a lot of other stuff but over time I stopped "needing" such items and I realised that my head didn't fall off without them. Not only that but I enjoyed this "simple," less complicated life more.

The thing I treasure most in my van life is independence... managing as much as possible on resources largely under my control.

An example. In the Wagon I have LED lights but if (very rare these days) electricity is low then I have a gas light but if both the gas and the electricity are low then I have candles and wind-up torches. I can see in the dark! :thumb:

Anyhow... I could go on and on (and indeed do on my blog) but enough!

Ironically I am back on a sort of site tonight!

We are staying at the Chicken Run where Andrew and Lesley have made us very welcome indeed. More of this place tomorrow.

Sorry to go on so much...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
you can carry passengers in the back .it was used for prisoners . and at least one guard .
they make real good campers . we dont change the windows .they arent opening but you can open the roof hatches . they also make nice mountings for solar .depends where you park one side can be tilted to the sun.
we also chop the side door to make it a stable door . and of course repaint it to blend in with the other vans as you can see. hee hee.

veevee .its not about wilding or sites its just some think only sites can be used . personally i dont full time anyway but hate sites . plus half the time there arent any where we go.
[HI]so long as you are having fun and it suits you thats ok. isnt that what its about?[/HI]

Think that's exactly what I am trying to say, but couldn't put it as clearly as you.

Thanks Alan

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Crikey, Someone just visited my blog from this page. Blast from the past. Hard to believe I have now been fulltiming 6 years now...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And I was reading the thread for quite a bit before I realised it was an old one. I actually quite enjoy reading some of the old threads which are still new to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back