Wiggle those valves!!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Colinyellowspanner, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Colinyellowspanner

Colinyellowspanner Funster

Our 'van has stood on the drive through the winter, no problem. We went away (not in m.home) for 4 days, returning to find front n.side tyre totally flat! On reinflating I found the valve had failed/split/ perished where it enters the rim, although it wasn't apparent till I'd put in about 50 psi. There had been no loss at all previously, when the van was actually used. This is a common fault, well documented, but it doesn't bear thinking about what COULD have happened!! Difficult to tell the cause, possibly a: Poor quality valve (4 yrs old), b:Burr or rust around valve hole in steel rim, c: Wheeltrim moving around ( before cable tying to secure) straining valve sideways.
    Anyway, the moral is, Wiggle Those Valves, to make sure they wont let you down! I'm off now to get a set of 5 High pressure bolt-in metal stemmed valves!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Good advice!

We had the same problem last year - new tyres, too.

Luckily we found out on the morning we were going down to Cornwall because the habitation door was fouling the step.

Doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if it had failed on the motorway.

3. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

We had the same problem last week n/s/r was down to 20psi i was able to drive under a mile to our friendly commercial tyre dealer although being busy checked tyre and replaced valve right away.I then returned and had all six replaced as a precaution.