wifi

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by june123, Feb 28, 2013.

1. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

We take our laptop with us when travelling abroad and in the UK. So far we rely on McDonalds or free wifi on sites or in cafes. I know there are aerials we could buy to give us access to the interrnet from our van but I've got a bit confused. Is there an aerial we could connect to that wouldn't need any other gadget on our laptop?

Any advice very gratefully received.

2. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

When we are travelling in the UK, we use a 3 mifi, it is very unusual not to be able to get online. When you travel abroad you can purchase local sim cards if the mifi is unlocked.

• Like Like x 1
  3. june123

Thanbk you Carol. I've googled 3mifi and am still confused. (Not very computer literate with this new technology.) Is this for a mobile phone or can I plug it into a laptop? Also is there a monthly fee to pay? Do you just buy it and plug it in? Any special model/type you recommend? You can tell I'm not too bright can't you?

4. Carol

Hi June, it is like a dongle but you can put it anywhere in the van, so a lot easier to pick up a signal, we bought ours and top it up, when we are travelling and don't use it when we are home. Costs about £13 a month when we are using it. One of the more technically minded men maybe able to explain it better.

5. Phill D

Phill D

the 3 mifi acts likea wifi Router and you can connect up to 3 devices at the same time. best get it unlocked and buy a data sim on line you can get a sim for about £12 that will last 90 days or 3GB which is more than enough for standard browsing and emails. when 90 days or 3GB used chuck the sim and buy another. doing that is a fraction of the cost of pay as you go sim or a one off from 3.

• Like Like x 1
  6. june123

Thanks Carol and Phil. I think I understand now. A monthly fee suits us fine. We just didn't want to be committed to a 12 or 24 month contract.

Phil - showing my ignorance (again) what does unlocking mean and what would I be unlocking?

7. Phill D

Phill D

if you buy the mifi from 3 it will be locked to thier network. if you are going to stay in UK thats probably the best coverage and cost deal. so you may not need to unlock the mifi unit. unlocking it allows you to use other suppliers data sim cards ( vodafone, T mobile etc ). also a sim card from a european supplier when across the channel.

i will post a couple of links shortly to help.:thumb:

8. atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Mifi info

Hi,
    We bought an Unlocked wireless Huawei modem from Ebay for £72.0, then we bought a separate sim card which allows internet access for £12.15 and gives us 90 days usage for laptop data then we just bought another when that run out. The modem can run up to 5 laptops together and we have shared it with others who have been in the same site and quite a distance from our van and signal.
    We have been able to go online anywhere in the UK so far and although it is slightly slower
    than our BT at home (we have never been fortunate enough to get a free Fon signal anywhere).
    Hope this helps.
    Atlantisbird
    Ann & Harry

9. Phill D

Phill D

• Like Like x 1
  10. june123

Thanks so much to all who have replied. You've been so helpful.

Phil - these sim cards. Do they fit into a laptop? I only know the little sims that go into a mobile phone. Do I need a special aerial with these? (I'm beginning to feel very stupid!)

11. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

There is no such thing as stupid only a problem the is unresolved
    Enlightenment will overcome

• Like Like x 2
  12. Carol

June, the sim goes into the dongle, which looks like a small mobile phone, the links Phil has given should show you a picture of one, don't be afraid to go into your local 3 shop and have a look then maybe get a unlocked one from ebay.

13. Phill D

Phill D

Hi, the sim goes into the white huawei unit pull the back off and out the battery and put it in like you do on most phones..:thumb:

14. Kevc

Kevc Funster

Hi

Recently purchased this 3G modem (mifi) from amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZTE-MF60-Mobile-Hotspot--Unlocked/dp/B005KLOLM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362082189&sr=8-1"]ZTE MF60 MiFi Mobile Wifi Hotspot- Unlocked Sim Free: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

£64.99 in stock and allows up to 8 devices to connect, already unlocked

Then get yourself the relevant 3G SIM card from which ever provider and your off, and if you go abroad buy local SIM and swop it :Smile:

Lots of choice out there

Good luck

Kev

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. june123

Thanks so much for all your help.

Phil - I think I finally understand (well almost). Think I know what I need. But if you buy a locked thingamajig how do you unlock it? This is definitely the last question!

16. Phill D

Phill D

you need an unlock code which you can get on internet for around £2 or so which is what i did. then you follow a simple set of instructions that you are given to insert the code. if you buy a locked unit and want to unlock it just Pm me or post and ask at the time:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  17. belboy

belboy Read Only Funster

Well done there Phill D....you were a great help to June without coming over all techno ... I just wish I'd had your advice when I had the same problem as June last year...I ended up buying the motorhome wifi hub for well over £100... It has been a nightmare for me from day one, I can never get it set up right as like June I'm not very PC hip.

Well done once again mate :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  18. kiwicamper

kiwicamper Read Only Funster

Does this modem need an antenna?
    We are not bothering with a TV or dish while in UK.

19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

What sort of problems are you having?

I have got the same gadget I think and after a bit of faffing about initially it's now easy to set up.

The unit came with a little instruction card and you need to follow those instructions to the letter.

This has been a useful thread about mifi though.

20. Kevc

Kevc Funster

Hi

It has a connection point for an external antenna, but it is optional.
    It also has internal antenna like a mobile phone, and this is all I have used and not had any issues so far.
    Majority of the reviews on amazon seemed to be good except going on about German instructions, but this must of also been rectified as mine are in English, though very simple to set up. One piece of advice would be get the wireless WEP key from under the battery before you need to use it, otherwise you have to power it back down to find it after :Smile:

Kev