WIFI?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Apr 19, 2016.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

We have a IPad .

Been a real dummy regarding wifi, we need a little help.

While abroad we rarely need to catch up with our emails etc, but when we do we go into Mc's. Their tea is not to bad!! I often see lots of bits and bobs advertised so that you can pick up wifi in all sorts of areas. What do you use ? I don,t want to spend a fortune, these things may make it easy for us to pick up wifi. Our phones are very basic so can't use these in conjunction with our iPad.

Colyboy

2. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

3. Speve

Speve Funster

We have an iPad with Cellular and wifi so you can insert a data sim card but have also got a Huwea which will work as well.has worked throughout France,Spain & Portugal

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

6. scotjimland

yes.. after reading again I realised I was barking up the wrong tree :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

There are two routes you can take. Or even both if you want to (we do)

1. WiFi. Proper WiFi is wireless internet from a fixed installation, like McDs or what you have at home. You connect to a router.

The solution for improving your chances of finding a signal and connecting to it is to use a WiFi antenna and booster. MotorhomeWiFi sell some very popular set ups. http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/iboost-wifi-system/ We have one and it works very well in the UK but we've had less success in Europe.

(Yes I know there are other, cheaper, options available. Not having that argument again)

2. MiFi. This is a device with a SIM card in it, much like your phone, that accesses mobile networks and provides mobile internet that way. Even though your iPad or phone will connect to it via WiFi it doesn't provide genuine wireless broadband. It won't be any faster than internet on your phone - 3G or if you're lucky 4G. Fine for basic browsing and email. Not a good idea for streaming video or TV unless you have a huge data allowance. We've had far more success in Europe with the MiFi. There are loads of options for buying these but I had the MotorhomeWiFi site open anyway so here's some options from them: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

@Minxy Girl is usually pretty up to date on data SIM deals for MiFi devices.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Speve

Speve Funster

9. scotjimland

yes.. I have one.. see my edit

10. Speve

Speve Funster

All noted I think when buying iPads they don't explain the sim bit very well and people end up buying one that doesn't suit their purpose.

11. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Thanks everybody I am still confused! My Ipad has no Sim slot. I want (if I am lucky) to be able to use my Ipad and pick up wifi where ever I go in Eutrope within reason. Is there anything I can do with the Ipad? Or should I use my Laptop which has a Sim slot and if so how?
    Mr Dummy
    colyboy

12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

In Europe you will be better off with a MiFi. Three are currently the cheapest/best for European travel in Feel at Home countries.

Real WiFi hotspots seem few and far between apart from Maccy Ds

Here's one that will do the job. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones...nd/three-pay-as-you-go-mifi-10023991-pdt.html This might not be the best deal around at the moment, it's just the first one I found (y)

The SIM card lives in the device which connects to the mobile network and hopefully connects to the internet at 3G speeds. In theory you can get 4G but in practice it doesn't happen abroad.

The device then generates a wifi network that your iPad and phone will connect to.

13. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

My iPad doesnt really pick up local WiFi networks very well. You have to be quite close to the source. I have the MiFi unit - recommended on here from Carphone Warehouse and all devices and phones connect to this. No "free" WiFi, but at least I can connect. Will look seriously at the iBoost now to get "free" WiFi although the unit does cost cica £150

14. scotjimland

I bought an iBoost for last years France trip.. yet to find an open free Wifi in France.. ..

picked up plenty of wifi but all locked.. the days of people not knowing how to secure a home network are long gone.. I also tried to connect to the BT Fone hotspots in France with no success ..

I guess the iBoost would come into it's own on a site with wifi where you are just out of range or have a very poor signal..

Personally, I think a sim card with a MiFi is better for touring ..

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

I can usually pick up wifi on my iPad and i suppose if i had a booster it would pick up hotspot type signals as well.
    When out and about i usually tether it to my phone..........it is good enough to do the daily funster quiz. And browse the forum. Europe i have no experience of.
    Phones with wifi don't have to cost the earth.

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Agree Jim, there are few 'open' wifi signals available now, either here or abroad, even McD's isn't as easy to access sometimes. The iBoost, if I understand it correctly, is just a 'booster' to allow you to hopefully access wifi sources from a larger area and/or provide a stronger signal, but as above, if you cannot use them because they are 'locked' you're stuffed.

Much better to get your own mifi and a sim card that you can definitely use abroad when you want it rather than rely on the 'chance' of finding an open wifi source which may or may not work.

The cheapest deal was the Carphone Warehouse ones I posted previously for a Huawei E5573 mifi at £20 but unfortunately they've finished now, if you're not in a hurry I'd keep an eye on their website and see if they do another one, this is what they did when they stopped an ID one and then did an EE one instead. They are available on Ebay but not for £20.

Using a mifi with a '3' data sim pre-loaded with 3gb for up to 3 months (90 days), which you can use abroad for up to 2 months in any 3 month period, or a 12gb one for 12 months (but the 2 month use in a year still applies abroad):

3gb for 3 months (90 days):
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-Mob...788550?hash=item4d1cfc73c6:g:fx8AAOSwoBtW2W5p

12gb for 12 months
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-3-n...731086?hash=item3d174a018e:g:~9cAAOSwmmxW4-z6

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we have both iBoost and a mifi, both from motorhome wifi, the iBoost really comes into its own on a site with paid for wifi, you can then connect the iBoost as the single connection, then connect to that with as many devices as you want, other wise you might end up paying for each connection, also very good if signal only set up for use in bar area, we can usually get that back in MH

but the mifi gets by far the most use, with a 3 sim as suggested above

However we have found recently that Bevs iPad now works as a hotspot (mifi) when abroad, fitted with same or similar 3 data sim as for the mifi, so effectively we now don't need the mifi anymore

we bought the 12Gb and a 3Gb cards for our last trip, 3Gb in Bevs iPad still has over 1Gb left on a 12 month deal, we used the 12Gb in the mifi most of the time and only used 5Gb in three weeks, now lost balance on time out, but we don't do much more than emails and web browsing, no film / TV streaming

18. Minxy Girl

Pssst ... David ... Colyboy might be interested in buying your mifi off you .... :rolleyes:

19. Minxy Girl

Are you SURE it's a sim slot on your laptop? They are very, very rare ... most have an SD card reader, but not an actual sim slot ... what is your laptop?

20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

According to BT, if you are a BT broadband customer, there are around 6 million BT WI-FI hotspots in France.

I dont believe a word they say.

• Like Like x 1