WiFi while abroad? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Off to watch the Giro cycle race next May/June. As I will not have a Sky card (finished with them due to so many price hypes!) What other products are available to obtain WiFi so that I can watch the Giro competitors approaching via my lap top via Eurosport . Too much hassle going into McD's.

What do I require while abroad, good WiFi so that I can watch Eurosport via my Lap top.

Suggestions please.

colyboy

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In my experience using a mifi you don't often get enough speed for video and much site wifi is even slower. I suggest you find a bar showing it.
Not helpful I realise, but if you have a sat dish you could get a freeview receiver or a card for one you've already got. I never watch tv when I'm away (very rarely when at home).

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There aren't many open or public networks like there are here.

I agree that mobile data via a mifi won't be quick enough or stable enough for reliable streaming especially taking network prioritisation into account. Even if you do get lucky and find a strong enough signal you will munch through your data at an eye watering rate, about 1GB - 3GB per hour depending on the website.

Site Wifi, McDs or watching it in a bar are likely to be your options.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
On our recent trip to Spain and France the mobile 4g signal was excellent, speeds of 30+ mps. No technical problem at all in streaming.
There are 2 issues with this - Is there a signal? there usually is but not always, but then WIFI isn't always there either. And how much data do you use, although at least now it does not cost any more than it would at home so if you have a large data allowance on a mobile you can safely use it in Europe.
So you can just use your mobile phone, set it up as a wifi hotspot to connect it to your laptop if you wish.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just don't bother trying video on the very budget Three network, you'll need a decent provider like EE or Vodafone.

Makes you wonder if WiFi will become obsolete eventually, maybe when 5g comes out.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun