Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
if it's free wifi on a site and lots of other vans have booster things on their vans. Do they get the signal/wifi before someone who has not got a booster so that they struggle to get on line if not got a booster. Cheers

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As a none technical person I thought that they was sucking all the signal in and leaving nothing for the rest of us, as you can tell computers are not my thing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We're staying at roquetas de mar & have a number of campers around us using boosters , no one as yet has complained of a weak or lost signaldue to their use.As said before their ideal for security & using different gadgets at the same time. Wouldn't leave home without mine. (y)

Deleted User
Hi supermike, the router sets up its own secure network within your van.check out their website. (y)

Yes but your router is connected to an unsecured internet connection open to anyone.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Hi supermike, the router sets up its own secure network within your van.check out their website. (y)

Indeed, that what I said. The operative words are " within your van " . Once the signal goes outside, you are open to the world.

Check whose website? :)

Richard Hodge

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Classique 120
Exp
Since 1989
A booster only receives the available signal and then amplifies it before sending it to the intended destination, ie your laptop etc.. this is exactly the same principle as a TV signal booster.
REgards Dick.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
exactly the same principle as a TV signal booster

Yes and no.

There are a number of different technologies, and you are labelled pedantic distinguishing between them, so most people just call them all boosters. It's similar to a TV booster in some ways, of course, but it's different in that the signal is two-way.

The kind of booster you buy from electrical stores for your home usually works in this way. It just receives and re-sends the signal, both ways, with no extra layers of protection. However most motorhome wifi boosters have a router that provides both a protection barrier and distribution to multiple users in the motorhome.

Some have a single radio that alternates between the camp-site side and motorhome side. The better ones,including those from Motorhome Wifi I believe, use two separate radio systems, giving improved speed and more reliable setting up procedures.

At home you only set up the system once when you change internet supplier. However in a motorhome you'll be setting this up every time you move site. It's important that the setup is simple and reliable.

Some systems have improved aerials, with a concentrated beam to send and receive signals over several hundreds of metres or more, when the average laptop struggles to work over fifty metres.

There's still many campsites with wifi just near the reception, not distributed evenly over the whole site. That's when these boosters are great, for extending your choice of pitches. And some of these campsites have a poor mobile phone signal, so a mifi device isn't a viable alternative.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We're staying at roquetas de mar & have a number of campers around us using boosters , no one as yet has complained of a weak or lost signaldue to their use.As said before their ideal for security & using different gadgets at the same time. Wouldn't leave home without mine. (y)

Useful to boost your signal, but using site wifi is not secure regardless of what you have on your end of it. I would never use site wifi for anything sensitive like banking or indeed ordering and paying for anything. I wait until I can get a signal for the MiFi which is much more secure, though I guess nothings perfect.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Its sucking up all you signal and data, passwords and bank details... be careful.

No... they just make the connection between the wifi source, ie the reception office, and your motorhome a bit stronger by amplifying it. (actually a waste of money in some cases, but no one here would tell you otherwise, as they have already bought them and they are brilliant...ha ha!)

If the signal from the wifi source is not good, too far away, things in the way, then amplification will get you nothing but noise... so no internet!

Last edited:
Reactions: kip
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

And then connects to the same insecure site network as everyone else. (y)

Reactions: kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Oh well, you live & learn,no more know it all posts from me.:whistle::D

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
On site wifi now using an iboost set up , as has been said any sensitive , ie banking etc i use mi fi even though thats not really secure its a bit better. Some folks say iboost is expensive , it dont work etc , but its been worth its weight in gold to us over the last year.

Deleted User
actually a waste of money in some cases, but no one here would tell you otherwise, as they have already bought them and they are brilliant...ha ha!)

Well here's one that will, I have in the past bought a wifi booster......waste of space!........booster for mifi(4G) a little better but not much.........perhaps I am always in a place with strong signals!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If the signal from the wifi source is not good, too far away, things in the way, then amplification will get you nothing but noise... so no internet!

If its too far away then its too far away :doh: But a decent antenna will easily take you from 1 bar and a slow intermittent connection to a 4 or 5 bar dependable one. I hate getting the antenna out and will always try without it first and have proved this on a hundred and one sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back