Wifi interference with alarms (1 Viewer)

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Has anyone had any experience or problems with a Campsites Wifi System interfering with their central locking/alarm system or ignition on their motorhome?

I have been approached today at Marjal Costa Blanca Spain that some motorhomer's from various countries think that the wifi here has caused them problems when they have gone to start their engines having been stood for a couple of weeks or the alarms/central locking personally I have not been affected in any such was and started our van on at least three occasions

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well I do have problems the other way round ! The Baby Video system stops my Wifi from working. Either I can check the babies I care in their room and no TV no Internet, OR I Watch TV and have internet!

Guess what I do:Blush: ....

I changed the whole system and came back to WIRED internet and TV LOL!

Done that all day today ! Had to take all the papers and files from one desk and put the whole system in the living room.....and then sort out all the files to put them on the desk in my bedroom .... But ...it's working fine!:thumb:

Frankie

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Wifi System interfering with their central locking/alarm system or ignition on their motorhome?

It shouldn't on a properly designed system. That's what the EMC directive is all about. One system should not interfere with another.

WiFi is on a frequency of
Unlock dongles

Huge difference.

But if the design of the alarm or ignition is crap or faulty, who knows.

There was a case in the UK where the new Police radio system was on a close frequency to door dongles and if people parked near a transmitter they could not get in their car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You do not get these high tech problems with an old van !!!:roflmto:BUSBY.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It shouldn't on a properly designed system. That's what the EMC directive is all about. One system should not interfere with another.

WiFi is on a frequency of
Unlock dongles

Huge difference.

But if the design of the alarm or ignition is crap or faulty, who knows.

There was a case in the UK where the new Police radio system was on a close frequency to door dongles and if people parked near a transmitter they could not get in their car.

that was also a problem for some vehicle makes, subaru and saab being two, parked near the early warning station at fylingdales, Whitby.

fylingdales radar emitted microwaves which would block some remote key fobs.
Fylingdales staff never locked their cars....but who stood a chance of stealing one in there.

only solution was to recover the vehicle down the road to Slieghts or Pickering, unload and start the car.
always amused me to see the owners face when it started without even lifting the bonnet.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well I do have problems the other way round ! The Baby Video system stops my Wifi from working. Either I can check the babies I care in their room and no TV no Internet, OR I Watch TV and have internet!

Guess what I do:Blush: ....

I changed the whole system and came back to WIRED internet and TV LOL!

Done that all day today ! Had to take all the papers and files from one desk and put the whole system in the living room.....and then sort out all the files to put them on the desk in my bedroom .... But ...it's working fine!:thumb:

Frankie

this is a very well known and documented problem frankie. the latest versions of the video senders are a different frequency to get round it

more seriously, if you have an older wireless house alarm, it can be blocked using a baby monitor if you know how they work. much the same way that if you have a wireless reversing camera you occasionally pick up a signal from somebody's security camera as you drive up the road. they all use the same frequency band as used on cheap internet routers so very insecure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as for the original post, there is something else transmitting in the area on a higher frequency if its affecting central locking or alarm systems. maybe police radios or military, but its not internet wifi signals from the site

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Its possible that some sort of RF interference is to blame, but as already mentioned the WiFi frequencies are so far away from the frequencies used by vehicles locking and alarm systems that its highly unlikely that it is the WiFi networks to blame.

Marjal has both a 2.4Ghz customer and a 5Ghz backbone network across the site which is a pretty standard setup for most campsites in Europe. You're going to experience far more RF interference in a built up area then you will do at Marjal.

Keyfobs, certainly older generations, operate most likely around 418Mhz. In Europe the same bandwidth (410 to 430MHz) is allocated for TETRA which is the bands used by the Emergency Services - so if you was to blame something, blame that (and look for a mast). Its also a frequency ranged by amateur radio (and especially amateur TV!) enthusiasts - although this is unlikely.

In short - there are lots of unlikely culprits, but none of them are more unlikely than WiFi.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back