WIFI in Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I need to have a solution for picking up WiFi and setting up a hot spot in my MH, I know you can get Motorhome Iboost but being a poor southern lad I need to look for a cheaper option. Is anyone using the Solwise kit?
Solwise USB WiFi Router/Repeater with the Outdoor USB Directional Antenna with built in 12dBi antenna?

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000.html

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I use a TP-LINK TL-MR3420 connected to iBoost Pro D8 and because it can allow the use of a sim dongle I have the best of both worlds. I also have a 4tb hard drive connected to router via one of the four lan ports, which allows me to watch movies or TV shows on any device connected to wifi. I can access my wifi up to 100 metres away from MH in line of sight.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Now I know nowt about these devices but the one linked above.. Is that just to amplify the signal from a nearby router ? Like one on a campsite ?

I have one of those Heuwie devices that works well but would really like something better ? An external Ariel perhaps ?
I know I asked this question before but confusion set in and I lost the plot .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Now I know nowt about these devices but the one linked above.. Is that just to amplify the signal from a nearby router ? Like one on a campsite ?

I have one of those Heuwie devices that works well but would really like something better ? An external Ariel perhaps ?
I know I asked this question before but confusion set in and I lost the plot .
@Charlie I do not know the system the OP has shown, but basically it can be set up to repeat ( make stronger ) the signal from say the campsite wifi to your MH and then use it around / inside your MH. They work very well but can be a pain in the ass to setup as you need to access the internal menu on the device each time you park up looking for the campsite wifi. I have to say you need to the same with "motorhome wifi iBoost system" as well, but they are a lot easier to use.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I need to have a solution for picking up WiFi and setting up a hot spot in my MH, I know you can get Motorhome Iboost but being a poor southern lad I need to look for a cheaper option. Is anyone using the Solwise kit?
Solwise USB WiFi Router/Repeater with the Outdoor USB Directional Antenna with built in 12dBi antenna?

Dane, having just read the user manual for the link your posted, the system you have asked about is the same thing as I have fitted, but smaller. Looks very good to be honest.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
John. I dont want to boost a campsites signal. What I would like is an external or internal ariel that boosts the 3G signal to the Heuwie device. This device obviously has its own internal ariel but it cant be very big. I wonder if an additional ariel would help.

That said it works quite well most of the time.

In France I found the WiFi signal on campsites extremely poor ! My Heuwie device was far better but I feel could be improved upon ?

Cheers

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
@Charlie I do not want to "steal" this thread, so if you start a thread with heading Huawei Device External Antenna I will look for new thread and advice ( if I can ). Before doing this please check that on the bottom or side of your Huawei device that there is one or two ports to connect external antenna too.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have an aerial that plugs into my Heuwie dongle and it makes a big difference, on mine there is a small flap on the side of the dongle where the aerial plugs in, the plug on the aerial is very small. But the original post was to improve any WiFi signal strenght and broadcast them in the van.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I have an aerial that plugs into my Heuwie dongle and it makes a big difference, on mine there is a small flap on the side of the dongle where the aerial plugs in, the plug on the aerial is very small. But the original post was to improve any WiFi signal strenght and broadcast them in the van.
Dane, thats why I asked him to start another thread. The system you have asked about looks very close to the one motorhomewifi are selling. I have to admit had I not got my own system I would be strongly tempted to buy the one your asking about having just read the user manual and setup PDF's. If you go for it let me know how it goes and what you think.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Dane, having just read the user manual for the link your posted, the system you have asked about is the same thing as I have fitted, but smaller. Looks very good to be honest.

Don, yes it looks good on paper but it's always nice to get feed back from someone using it. The 2 concerns I have is how to find the best signal, the only way I can see is to have a laptop plugged in on the initial setup when you rock up on site and is the interface going to be friendly? It's very similar to Iboost and at half the price worth considering.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Don, yes it looks good on paper but it's always nice to get feed back from someone using it. The 2 concerns I have is how to find the best signal, the only way I can see is to have a laptop plugged in on the initial setup when you rock up on site and is the interface going to be friendly? It's very similar to Iboost and at half the price worth considering.
Dane I would have thought as it's close to or same as iBoost router any member on here can advise who owns one, however I know having used the iBoost system that the Wan port is connected to the iBoost Pro D8 and you access that interface via the web page menu. In the case of the solwise router ( looking at the manual ) it has a more complex menu but like most thing new will be easy to master after time.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Yes I use that. It is also the first issue that Motorhomewifi released.
The only trouble I ever had was with the power supply which is only 9 volts on the cigar lighter plug.
I discarded the plug and connected direct to my habitation 12 volts. The unit is 12 volt rated so I cannot understand why the hell a 9 volt supply for it.

CA_10071416250529-XL.jpg

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
I have the set up you mention with an omnidirectional aerial - works perfectly and cost about £100.
Used it all over the UK and France to pick up FON and also any other open networks I could find.
Also handy if you buy a campsites wifi and it is limited to one or two devices.
You log onto the site wifi with the router and the re radiate the wifi using the router to as many devices you want.
Solwise also have great support if you have any problems.
No need to spend any more than £100 for a good set up.

@Diabalo

image.png

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Yes I use that. It is also the first issue that Motorhomewifi released.
The only trouble I ever had was with the power supply which is only 9 volts on the cigar lighter plug.
I discarded the plug and connected direct to my habitation 12 volts. The unit is 12 volt rated so I cannot understand why the hell a 9 volt supply for it.

CA_10071416250529-XL.jpg
Andy, I take it you are using the USB port to the external aerial. I wondered if it works with the Broken Link Removed connection version from motorhomewifi?

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Dane, thats why I asked him to start another thread. The system you have asked about looks very close to the one motorhomewifi are selling. I have to admit had I not got my own system I would be strongly tempted to buy the one your asking about having just read the user manual and setup PDF's. If you go for it let me know how it goes and what you think.
Don we are in the Netherlands at the moment setup has been working great in Fance and here very quick to set up and no problems.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I too use the ALFA R36 set up with either a good directional USB Egasky antenna which I can use internally, or an omnidirectional 8dbi external antenna connected to an ALFA Wireless adapter. Here at Stratford Racecourse, I was picking up 49 different router signals with the internal antenna alone. Unfortunately, BTresidential router signals are only good for a 10 metre range, and although I was getting a 73% signal strength, the nearest BT router was too far away to connect. Adam at Motorhomewifi did explain the reasoning for that. Apparently BT Business routers give out a greater signal.

On this occasion at Stratford, I've had to revert to my MiFi.

Cheers,

Jock.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Just back form 3 months and used a combination of MiFi and wifi booster aerial. I use a linux Netbook which I have set up to create an internal wifi hotspot and it works a treat. I have been trying to minimize the amount of tech gadgets I cart about and having a combined device that I can use for email, web browsing and a router/hotspot is just the ticket. Plug in the booster aerial in the USB port run the scrip and voila we are all connected to what ever WiFi network I can find. (I don't use it for streaming although, I experimented when it was tipping down and did get a firestick to load!)

I am pretty sure that if you use Windows devices there will be commercial software (Connectify?) that also allows you to do this but I prefer Linux for traveling as it is FoC and the community support you get. ( Not knocking MS I also run Windows on a beast of machine in the house!)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

I use the Solwise USB unit with an Ebay 16db directional aerial and it works great, you have to make sure the chipset in the aerial is compatible with the USB unit but otherwise great and costs a fraction of most other systems.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I use the Solwise USB unit with an Ebay 16db directional aerial and it works great, you have to make sure the chipset in the aerial is compatible with the USB unit but otherwise great and costs a fraction of most other systems.
in tune with @maxi77, I found that the USB unit from Solwise wasn't compatable with the Ralink chipset in the Egasky antenna, so I sent it back. I then ordered the ALFA R36 unit fron a seller in Spain, which was compatable with the antenna chipset.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I too use the ALFA R36 set up with either a good directional USB Egasky antenna which I can use internally, or an omnidirectional 8dbi external antenna connected to an ALFA Wireless adapter. Here at Stratford Racecourse, I was picking up 49 different router signals with the internal antenna alone. Unfortunately, BTresidential router signals are only good for a 10 metre range, and although I was getting a 73% signal strength, the nearest BT router was too far away to connect. Adam at Motorhomewifi did explain the reasoning for that. Apparently BT Business routers give out a greater signal.

On this occasion at Stratford, I've had to revert to my MiFi.

Cheers,

Jock.
Hi Jock

As you know we are also at Stratford, I have been using my 3 12gb data card as it doesn't seem to be going down very fast but thought I would try my MotorhomeWiFi device as a comparison.

I am connected and posting on it now, data switched off.

Martin

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock

As you know we are also at Stratford, I have been using my 3 12gb data card as it doesn't seem to be going down very fast but thought I would try my MotorhomeWiFi device as a comparison.

I am connected and posting on it now, data switched off.

Martin
Good morning Martin (just). :)

I'm sure if I just stuck my antenna on the roof, I'd be fine, but I can't be bothered to remove the ladder guard and climb up. ;) I'm saving my 3 sim for when abroad, and currently using my T Mobile (EE) sim @ a fiver for 30 days internet. (y) Cheap as chips. :LOL:

Cheers,

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Good morning Martin (just). :)

I'm sure if I just stuck my antenna on the roof, I'd be fine, but I can't be bothered to remove the ladder guard and climb up. ;) I'm saving my 3 sim for when abroad, and currently using my T Mobile (EE) sim @ a fiver for 30 days internet. (y) Cheap as chips. :LOL:

Cheers,

You didn't want to be on the roof in that rain Jock:LOL: ours is just stuck to the window inside but we have a better line of sight to the flats than you have I guess.

Martin

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
im typing this post cos im happy to have got my super duper satalite internet all singing and dancing thingumy jig working ,message being sent miles from a wifi hotspot (y):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
im typing this post cos im happy to have got my super duper satalite internet all singing and dancing thingumy jig working ,message being sent miles from a wifi hotspot (y):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I do that from my phone and have 5gb a month for £20:p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back