Free Member
Jun 28, 2011
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'll be getting a motorhome soon and I'm wondering how to get wifi once out and and about away from home, want to be able to use computer. I have BT broadband at home. Is it fairly easy to sort out. Can some please advise.
Thanks
Richard

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I'll be getting a motorhome soon and I'm wondering how to get wifi once out and and about away from home, want to be able to use computer. I have BT broadband at home. Is it fairly easy to sort out. Can some please advise.
Thanks
Richard

If you have Bt broadband....you should be able to get Bt fon free at most places if you are close to another Bt home user......just put in your email address and code/password.....then connect:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I regularly (try to) use wifi on campsites but often it is unreliable, very very very slow and expensive.

As most campsites are relatively remote they often have a poor internet speed so wifi will naturally be slow. I also use a 3G dongle but once again the remoteness means a poor signal and an unreliable service.

Hopefully things will settle down in the near future.

ps - I have a metal bodied van conversion and this can act as an effective shield and reduce signal strength inside the van. If the signal is weak inside I usually get a better signal outside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you have Bt broadband....you should be able to get Bt fon free at most places if you are close to another Bt home user......just put in your email address and code/password.....then connect:thumb:

Heck Mel are you sure about that, we are on BT and the Bt fon is a Joke you have to be invited to sit on their front window sill of someone participating before you get a connection---you sure are not going to get connected on a remote caravan site

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Heck Mel are you sure about that, we are on BT and the Bt fon is a Joke you have to be invited to sit on their front window sill of someone participating before you get a connection---you sure are not going to get connected on a remote caravan site

Yep. Easy with a rocket (easy 100m range) - or a bigger one (up to 1km range).

Never a problem...

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have had little luck with BT openzone/fon and always fall back on the most reliable 3 network, first with a dongle but now I have a 3 mi fi :thumb:

Upvote 0

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
I'm not very good with computers so please excuse my ignorance:Blush:

This WiFi - what is it do you need a dongle for it or if you have BT & Fon as we do is it ready to go?:helpsos:

We are on BT Broadband but when we are away I use a 3 dongle but do I need to have one of these?

Oh how nice it would be to have brains :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
If its a modern laptop you will have WIFI built in and will not need a dongle. But WIFI is limited to within quite a close range from the wifi transmitter, on some sites it is all over the site but often it is not.

If you want to connect via a mobile phone network instead of WIFI then you can use a dongle for that.

Another alternative to a dongle, which I use sometimes, is to connect a mobile phone to a usb socket and use the mobile as a modem. I do this with my blackberry and it works very well.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Yes me.....three times,.........while I was in the uk at three places I stopped......

What I received was as good as it could be......did all I wanted:thumb...These two funsters know there stuff...activecampers....icantremember............ .......Your built in wifi is not up to the job:

Hey, who mentioned remote campsites!!!!!:Eeek:

"The thread read "I'll be getting a motorhome soon and I'm wondering how to get wifi once out and and about away from home, want to be able to use computer. I have BT broadband at home. Is it fairly easy to sort out. Can some please advise". As they are already are on BT this is one way of getting on the internet "LEGALLY" at no extra cost to rronyag ...There are many ways of getting on the internet...This is just one of many ways....

Mel

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back