Wifi boosters

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Nethernut, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

Thinking of buying a Wifi extender to use in the motorhome. Looking at two makes - Wifi on board or iBoost. Anyone have any recommendations. Also, which is easiest to use - directional aerial or omnidirectional? thanks folks

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I use an iBoost omni directional. Does exactly what is says on the tin. I think it's a great bit of kit, especially if you want multiple people to be able to connect to the same signal i.e. campsite wifi that only permits one connection.

The directional one has a theoretical longer range but you have to point it in the right direction yourself. I keep meaning to park up next to someone who has it to do a bit of a field trial and see if it actually picks up anything I can't!

Never heard of the other type so can't help there.

3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

I recently bought an iboost with a directional area. Probably just a few mins more to set up but its easy. I'm happy with ir and I'm recuperating some of the money spent on buying ir already :)

4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

iBoost, I have "modded" mine so it's outside all the time and I can control it from inside MH (see old posts)

5. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

Thanks both.

6. lou020

lou020 Funster

i have the i boost directional, doesn't pick up a signal as far as i thought it would. but works ok over short distances.

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. POWERPLUS

POWERPLUS Read Only Funster

hi all

i have a wifi usb aerial about 6"x 8" supplied by motorhome wifi and am looking for cheap repeater so that i can give a friend a bit of wifi not looking for a expensive unit

any advice would be great

barry

9. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I've had an Alpha booster for almost 4 years - less than £23 delivered from Amazon - a great piece of kit!

Use it all the time - convenient, weighs nothing - just hang it on the window in the van usually. Can normally get the wi-fi from site reception/bar into the van.

Take it abroad when flying, for using in hotel bedroom to pick up wi-fi from reception etc. Even used it successfully in our cabin on the Pont Aven, Brittany Ferry.

Have subsequently tried a more expensive directional booster that's bulky and fits on the outside of the van, but failed to get any better performance.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I have to agree with you on this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Directional antenna are best if you have line of sight to the transmitter, if you don't have this, and you frequently won't, an omnidirectional antenna is best. So on a MH, where you might be parking near buildings from time to time omnidirectional is the way to go.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Sorry don't agree with that, as your are never in site of a transmitter unless you knock on everyone's door asking which one has the Fon router and where is it.:xrofl:

I used to use an Omi but range is poor, now use a directional aerial and I find it very quick to set up and with clear line of site across country or a lake can sometimes pick up signals from upto 1½ to 2 miles away depending on conditions.

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I should have read the OP better - I was thinking of 3G mobile signals!

• Like Like x 1