Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thinking of buying a Wifi extender to use in the motorhome. Looking at two makes - Wifi on board or iBoost. Anyone have any recommendations. Also, which is easiest to use - directional aerial or omnidirectional? thanks folks

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use an iBoost omni directional. Does exactly what is says on the tin. I think it's a great bit of kit, especially if you want multiple people to be able to connect to the same signal i.e. campsite wifi that only permits one connection.

The directional one has a theoretical longer range but you have to point it in the right direction yourself. I keep meaning to park up next to someone who has it to do a bit of a field trial and see if it actually picks up anything I can't!

Never heard of the other type so can't help there.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I recently bought an iboost with a directional area. Probably just a few mins more to set up but its easy. I'm happy with ir and I'm recuperating some of the money spent on buying ir already :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
iBoost, I have "modded" mine so it's outside all the time and I can control it from inside MH (see old posts)

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
i have the i boost directional, doesn't pick up a signal as far as i thought it would. but works ok over short distances.

POWERPLUS

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
armacao de pera
Funster No
MH
swift 620fb
Exp
hi all

i have a wifi usb aerial about 6"x 8" supplied by motorhome wifi and am looking for cheap repeater so that i can give a friend a bit of wifi not looking for a expensive unit

any advice would be great

barry

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've had an Alpha booster for almost 4 years - less than £23 delivered from Amazon - a great piece of kit!

Use it all the time - convenient, weighs nothing - just hang it on the window in the van usually. Can normally get the wi-fi from site reception/bar into the van.

Take it abroad when flying, for using in hotel bedroom to pick up wi-fi from reception etc. Even used it successfully in our cabin on the Pont Aven, Brittany Ferry.

Amazon product ASIN B004Y6MIXS
Have subsequently tried a more expensive directional booster that's bulky and fits on the outside of the van, but failed to get any better performance.

Mike

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Directional antenna are best if you have line of sight to the transmitter, if you don't have this, and you frequently won't, an omnidirectional antenna is best. So on a MH, where you might be parking near buildings from time to time omnidirectional is the way to go.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Directional antenna are best if you have line of sight to the transmitter, if you don't have this, and you frequently won't, an omnidirectional antenna is best. So on a MH, where you might be parking near buildings from time to time omnidirectional is the way to go.
Sorry don't agree with that, as your are never in site of a transmitter unless you knock on everyone's door asking which one has the Fon router and where is it.:xrofl:

I used to use an Omi but range is poor, now use a directional aerial and I find it very quick to set up and with clear line of site across country or a lake can sometimes pick up signals from upto 1½ to 2 miles away depending on conditions.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry don't agree with that, as your are never in site of a transmitter unless you knock on everyone's door asking which one has the Fon router and where is it.:xrofl:

I used to use an Omi but range is poor, now use a directional aerial and I find it very quick to set up and with clear line of site across country or a lake can sometimes pick up signals from upto 1½ to 2 miles away depending on conditions.
I should have read the OP better - I was thinking of 3G mobile signals!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back