Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
I have an Alfa Usb wifi signal booster which used to be very good, could connect to free wifi hotspots miles away. Has gone temperamental on me. Can anyone out there recommend a replacement make and model?

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2. This is what vendors rebadge and sell for a hefty mark-up. It is the standad bit of kit.

OP
OP
funman

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks, Eamless. Can you confirm that I can plug this into the usb port of my laptop in order to connect to distant wifi access points? Does it require a power supply or does it get power through USB? I am 12 volt only in my van, seldom on mains hookup. Could I use it to connect an Android tablet wirelessly (no usb port on tablet)?
cheers...

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
AFAIK it is ethernet connection only and needs a power supply in the ethernet cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The nanostation is powered over Ethernet and needs 240v. It can connect to a USB port with an adapter for configuration but still needs mains power. You could run it off a small inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter.
However, here is my experience of using this across Europe and helping other people I have come across struggling with their sometimes expensive solutions.
The main use for a boost system is on campsites or Fon. I have connected to open access points but usually found these to be dog slow. I do connect the nano to a router. This allows multiple connections to the SSID without paying for each connection. You can get a router from about £15. I use a ubiquiti one, cost £30.
I also have an unlocked huawei Mifi unit. This can also be configured to access to a wireless lan as well as 3/4g. I use this when I can get cheap data deals in countries. However the Wlan aerial I have is useless try a ws320 booster aerial. but is OK for multiple connections on a campsite and needs no power, plugs into a USB. Your last solution is to sit in a cafe. For £2 you can download a heap of stuff. So my advice is look at your needs of when and where you want to access the net and chose the best fit. I certainly would not spend a heap of dosh buying a motorhome specific one as they are rebadged ubiquiti kit that you can buy for half the price on the web. Do not under any circumstances buy anything with an omni directional aerial. A Mifi device could be the best solution, and with roaming charges disappearing will offer a better roadmap to the future. 4G will give far better performance than wifi also going forward. Or sit in a cafe when you need it.
If you want more info then PM me. I have put up a doc on how to configure wifi boosting stuff on my blog. Www.eamlesstravels.com
Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back