Wifi booster and/or iBoost 4g

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Allanm, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have just bought a house in Brittany and while we were there this week, we got a very weak SFR Fon Wifi signal. Being BT and Fon customers, it would be rude not to use it to its full potential while we are working on the house and thought about an iBoost system, probably the D8.
    MHwifi mention an iBoost 4g on their website but no other details. Is this a combined 3/4g wifi unit and if so, is it available now?
    Allan

2. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Congratulations on the purchase Allan, can't answer your question but very interested in any responses you receive.(y)

3. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

I believe the answer is 'Yes' to both questions.

I also think Adam (of MHwifi) will ask you to think carefully before deciding that a combined unit is right for you. If you only want to use it in the house, it may well be, but there are small, pocket portable 3/4G units that will accept an external aerial when at home or in the van, which may serve your 3/4G needs better. In which case a wifi only iBoost might be a better buy.

Note:- better, not necessarily cheaper! :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Thanks for your input TheCaller, the perfect advice in my opinion.

I personally dislike combined WiFi 3/4G systems - the process of changing over from WiFi to 3/4G is problematic and 4G routers that can do this are in the region of £200 for a good one.

In contrast, a MiFi device with an external antenna socket is in the region of £115 and will do the same job. You're paying at £85 premium to have an 'all in one system' but in fact you are no better off.

We did have such a system which we only sold to customers after explaining the above, since we get asked for it fairly often. Result? We discontinued it. Sometimes you have to stick to your guns rather than giving the customer what they want because the reality is they don't want (or perhaps need) what they think they do. I'd rather not make a sale then sell a product which I don't believe in.

I'm happy to talk you through your options if you like Allanm either tomorrow or Friday or pop and see us at the NEC next week, stand 12-90 :)

Adam

5. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Have an aquaintance, who has a bar down here in the Costa del Sol. He has IPTV for world sports, which needs a 4G data sim modem, to make it all work, but at 90 Euros a month, it's a bit pricey.​

:cooler:

6. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Well it would be - it's what you told me at Malvern when I asked you the same question! :D:D:D

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Thanks all. Adam, I think we just need the iBoost, we go to a few places where, although we get a Fon signal, it's too far away to connect.
    I'm not into complicated so maybe the combined wifi/ 3G unit wouldn't be suitable
    I'll probably order an iBoost D8 later from you
    Allan
    Edit. We use 3 on our mobiles so get free calls etc in France, hence the reason we thought about a wifi and 3G booster, our house in in a village with patchy 3G . We have a Mifi unit at the moment but don't use it since 3 announced their Feel at Home tarif