Wifi antenna that is supplied with card (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Some time ago someone posted details of an external; WiFi antenna ( panel type ) that was supplied with a modem ( card ) for the lap top...

The idea being you disable the onboard WiFi slip the card in and fire it up with the antenna

Searched all over the forums but cannot find it.. Anyone help ?

GeoNomad

Free Member
Mar 27, 2011
In my campervan
Funster No
MH
Romahome C15
Exp
Since 2006
Some time ago someone posted details of an external; WiFi antenna ( panel type ) that was supplied with a modem ( card ) for the lap top...

The idea being you disable the onboard WiFi slip the card in and fire it up with the antenna

Searched all over the forums but cannot find it.. Anyone help ?

I have had great success with the Alfa AWUS306H long distance Wifi. Sometimes able to connect from more than a mile away. Really nice at campsites where the WiFi is "only in the office" because that is no longer true for me.

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-73/Alfa-AWUS036H-1000mW-USB/Detail.bok

They also have lots of antenna options. In most cases the little stick antenna will work if you find the magic location by the window. For extra long coverage, I use a cantenna made from a tin can after eating the apricots that came in it. Google cantenna for lots of sites showing you how.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Def not a Hawkins one.. The one I refer to bolts to a mast on the roof of the van

Pretty sure it was not an Alfa either.. they seem to be just an antenna ( and in all honesty I could proly design and build a better higher gain antenna than seems to be on offer any where .. After all, it is what I am supposed to have done with my life ! :) ! )

This is a complete kit .. It is a high gain panel antenna supplied with a PCMCIA card

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is a different approach.. looks like it has the modem built in to the encloser..
Better than the one I was looking for !

Cheers peeps, that will do I reckon :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
That is a different approach.. looks like it has the modem built in to the encloser..
Better than the one I was looking for !

Cheers peeps, that will do I reckon :thumb:

Its been on my list of think I'll buy it for a while, looks good for £33, think its now time to give it a go :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just bought it, along with an active USB extension lead.. Of course it is only when I get it here the fun begins with installation

I have a CB to install that I am buying from RayB at the Bash as well.. van is going to be like a swiss cheese !

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i can vouch for these ,Alfa AWUS306H long distance Wifi, i was using one at the newark show and with another bit of software had free wifi for the whole weekend:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Excuse me for butting in but could someone explain how these things work.? What wifi are you actually trying to locate? I am a bit backward at this sort of thing and only recently discovered the joys of a BT home hub:Blush:

Am I right in thinking that sometimes there is free wifi out there apart from BTOpenzone?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Treacle, you use a BT Hub.. They tend to be secure so only you can use them with a 'pass word' to access the Internet

There are a good many places all over Europe that allow people access to their that are set up to allow anyone with the right gear to use the Internet via their hub ( I am using the word hub as it is familiar to you and you know what it does :Smile: )

Most of the places offering such a service have very limited range.. Usually a max of say 30 metres or so.

Using an external antenna you can access these 'open points' from a far greater range, thereby increasing your chances of getting access to the Internet.

McDonalds take aways usually have free access ( meant for the customers use ) as an example

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks Jaws that is really helpful.

I am trying to drag myself up to date!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
This name crops up, I've got one

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/index.php?CatID=32&FamID=60

I've one of the mini Jodral Bank ones. Works a treat as long as a window points the right way.

I too have one of these plus a an external box type on a mast on the back of the van. I have found that the mini dish is better where there are dozens of hotspots and there is a good chance of co-channel interference, (IE when 2 or more hotspots canot hear each other and transmit at the same time. I found this happend at the turist spots on the Costa Del Sol.

Doug...

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have one of the original Repeat IT wifi antennas supplied by Faculty X. They were developed by the Swedish Military but sadly are no longer available. However reports on a long thread on the other channel suggest the new replacement mentioned earlier here Link Removed whilst not as powerful seems pretty good.

In a nutshell these are directional antennas so you plug them into your laptop and then point them at the source of the wifi, roughly with a 60 degree range / beam. Your PC will then show you lots more available wifi spots than it can without the antenna. Great for BT customers with BT openzone or Fon, great for big campsites with wifi so you dont have to go to reception with your laptop and great for the growing number of wifi hotspots around Europe.

Line of sight makes a big difference. To give you an example across water in Scotland last year we picked up and used a wifi signal 4 miles away with the Repeat IT antenna. Typically a mile or so is easily achieved although its not always reliable or as fast as if you were on top of it. I normally mount the thing on the top of the rear ladder but in the photo below in Frace I improvised as I couldnt be bothered to move the van. The houses were around a mile away and we picked up their signal easily.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back