WiFi and ipad.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Encantador, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Not sure if this is the best place, first MH outing soon and ideally want to carry as few gadgets as possible. Ipad would be preferred to laptop as need regular internet.

I have seen some gadgets that extend the wifi range but they all seem to plug in via a USB plug which means they are designed to plug into a laptop. Is there such a devise that you can use with a ipad?

Thanks

Steve

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

NO.. is the answer...
    wish it did.. thats why i carry both a laptop and the ipad.
    the wifi extenders need to load drivers...

3. jaygee

jaygee Funster

You can get a MIFI with a sim in it and connect up to this via the wifi signal it gives out - you can connect up to 5 things at any one time or -- and I did this on a recent trip - you can get a GIFFGAFF micro sim for the ipad and buy a data goody bag as and when you need it.
    I got 3gb for £12.50 which lasts for one month. We spent one week touring round the north of England to dealers looking for a new van, using google maps & internet searches a lot and I hardly used anything so next time might go for a lower data goody bag. They do 500mb for £5 and 1GB for £7.50.
    No tie in so I only buy when I am going away. You can top up online if your allowance is getting low.
    info here http://giffgaff.com/goodybags#data

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

same here.. it is a no

I have an IPAD also now Ihave the MacBookPro 15" which does allow me to extend the range if I want.. but I regret the IPAD does not.

Bob

5. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

You can get an adapter for the iPad to plug in either an SD card or usb, it plugs into the power socket. I have used it to connect via usb and we also use it to upload photos from SD cards. Surely this would allow a wifi extender to be plugged in?
    Jan

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I use a MiFi from 3 all the time when away in the uk. If you buy a sim on EBay you can get a 3gb one that lasts 3months from 1st use (under £10 if you shop around). When travelling abroad you need another data sim from that country and have the MiFi unlocked as you do a mobile phone

On the subject of mobiles, many new ones will allow wireless tethering, some via bluetooth others via network hotspot. This way you just use the kit your already carrying and already have a data allowance in your contract

7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I guess you also take a phone with you.

I just use my iPad tethered to my iPhone 4s.
    On "3" network, eat all you can unlimited date, does the job perfectly, if no wifi available.:thumb:

Callum

8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

the IPAD will bluetooth OK

You can bluetooth the iPad OK..

Bob

9. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

Yeah exactly what I do although I tether to the HTC, far better smart phone:Wink: Sat here now just outside Northallerton al tethered up:Smile:

Mike:Smile: