• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

SOLD Wifi Aerial - to give away not sell! (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I have a wifi aerial that I haven't used for a couple of years. It has a USB connection (for plugging straight into a laptop) and is on a metal mount which has a couple of plastic suckers. Overall it must be about 18 inches long. I used to poke it out through an open roof light and could sometimes pick up free wifi points that the laptop couldn't 'see'.
I can't bring myself to charge anything as I don't think I paid much for it when I bought it about 5 years ago.
Is it of any use to anyone?

Free to collect from TN35 (near Hastings) or I could post it to you at cost.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am in no way putting a damper on this very generous offer. However I have a similar external usb aerial that I also bought about 5 years ago. problem is when Windows 10 came out, the driver was no longer suitable. Try as I might, it just wont work on my new laptop but works fine on windows 8.1 and previous versions back to vista i think. I have heard the chipset is supported in linux though

so @JockandRita if you plug it in and are scratching your head why it is not connecting, now you know

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
so @JockandRita if you plug it in and are scratching your head why it is not connecting, now you know
Thanks for that. (y) Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

If it's Realtek or Ralink, I may be in luck, as I already have drivers for those on the laptop, which the antenna would be used on, in the MH. If it's compatible with the ALFA R36, I'll be well in. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Bill_OR, the antenna arrived this morning thanks Bill, and as you can see from the comment below, it's working a treat with my system. Thanks again. (y)

Hi John. :)
With the built in WiFi on the laptop, I could only pick up about 6 x connections, but only 2 x were usable. With the antenna plugged in (built in WiFi off) I picked up 11 x connections, of which, more than half were usable. Win10 downloaded the drivers within seconds, and off it went, searching for connections. (y)

Cheers,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
@Bill_OR, the antenna arrived this morning thanks Bill, and as you can see from the comment below, it's working a treat with my system. Thanks again. (y)

Hi John. :)
With the built in WiFi on the laptop, I could only pick up about 6 x connections, but only 2 x were usable. With the antenna plugged in (built in WiFi off) I picked up 11 x connections, of which, more than half were usable. Win10 downloaded the drivers within seconds, and off it went, searching for connections. (y)

Cheers,

brilliant news, will make life much easier for you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back